Just returned 4-day-old iPhone for a 0-day-old iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

buzznfrog

Jul 14, 2007
Hey all,

I just wanted to tell you that the folks at Apple took care of me alright. I was plagued by two iPhone horrors, one not as common as the other (unless people are not posting about it)

1) Battery life was terrible. 50% left after one day of minimal use
2) Bottom right corner of my LCD was messed up. You know when you touch an LCD screen with your finger, that wave effect you see? Well I had that when I pressed the bottom corner of the iPhone front.

I bought my phone from AT&T. From reading other posts, I knew not to even bother with them. So I headed down to my nearest Apple store and headed to the "Genius Bar." Apple listened, checked, and gave me a new iPhone.

Just so people know, if you take your iPhone back, you do NOT need to re-activate with AT&T. They just swap the SIM cards.

Aside from the drive, everything went smoothly.

Anyone else have return stories?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Hey all,

I just wanted to tell you that the folks at Apple took care of me alright. I was plagued by two iPhone horrors, one not as common as the other (unless people are not posting about it)

2) Bottom right corner of my LCD was messed up. You know when you touch an LCD screen with your finger, that wave effect you see? Well I had that when I pressed the bottom corner of the iPhone front.

I bought my phone from AT&T. From reading other posts, I knew not to even bother with them. So I headed down to my nearest Apple store and headed to the "Genius Bar." Apple listened, checked, and gave me a new iPhone.

Just so people know, if you take your iPhone back, you do NOT need to re-activate with AT&T. They just swap the SIM cards.

Not too much of a story, but yeah I had one single dead pixel and they took it right back, this being the morning after the June 29th release.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
ya i returned my iPhone after about 5 days due to battery life and speaker problems. they were so nice the process was totally painless. i bought a 4gig from my local AT&T store , brought it to Apple , they let me exchange up to an 8gig no questions asked. very nice to deal with.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
ya i returned my iPhone after about 5 days due to battery life and speaker problems. they were so nice the process was totally painless. i bought a 4gig from my local AT&T store , brought it to Apple , they let me exchange up to an 8gig no questions asked. very nice to deal with.
I think the reason they can be this nice is because of how much they charge for the phone. The extra money we paid allows for all of this good customer service.

FAsnakes

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
same thing with me. I took mine back for scratches on the bezel (caused by a belkin) acrylic case. Totally painless, also they let me upgrade

buzznfrog

Jul 14, 2007
Apple didn't even look at my receipt. It doesn't matter anyway. They scan the old box to verify where it came from, who sold it, and when it was sold. They essentially have the receipt they need.

patrick

Jul 16, 2007
Hey all,

OK signed up for another genius bar app for tomorrow AM. Still no usage stats since day one, still never fills to above 90% ie no glowy battery. After minimal day my iPhone is @ 50% as well. Here is for hope

buzznfrog

Jul 14, 2007
OK signed up for another genius bar app for tomorrow AM. Still no usage stats since day one, still never fills to above 90% ie no glowy battery. After minimal day my iPhone is @ 50% as well. Here is for hope
Hey man, just to let you know, Apple store employees will tell you that the iPhone not fully charging is a known glitch that Apple plans on patching. At least that's what both of the "geniuses" told me anyways. However, when I mentioned my battery life they immediately accepted it and went in the back to get me another one.

patrick

Jul 16, 2007
To back up my claim I am curious what others experience from the battery icon charge indication in the upper left corner after say the first telephone conversation, or internet surfing of the day.

For example after I "fully" charged the phone two days ago, I spoke with Apple for 20 min on the phone. After the conversation at least the first two pixel iterations of battery charge were missing. Similarly today I did not use the phone at all until I came home from work around 4pm, after 30 min of web surfing 1 notch and the shortly there after 2 notches were gone. After perhaps 1 and a half hours of web surfing, 3 text messages, 3 checks of email, 1 5 min convo, the phone is now displaying ~2/3's charge. This just doesn't seem right compared to others.

But perhaps I am more vigilant and thereforee mistaken since my phone has yet to display any indication of a proper charge since day one. :oops:

jwarner

Jun 23, 2007
On Monday, I went to the Apple Store because my iPhone stopped working all together. It wouldn't even turn on. I walked into the store told one of the staff my problem, even without an appointment with Genius, and they took time to attempt to resolve the issue on the phone. They then activated a new phone. They did all of this without a receipt and were apologetic the entire te for my inconvenience an for the time it was taking. As a typical PC user, I was so impressed that I have decided to switch to Apple entirely, that to say when it is te to get a new computer.

digitalfx

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
same thing with me. I took mine back for scratches on the bezel (caused by a belkin) acrylic case. Totally painless, also they let me upgrade
they should have told you to grow up...seriously you exchanged a phone because YOU scratched it. Thanks! We all pay for fools like you.