just saw new iPhone on TV

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
some chick on the g4 channel just said there will be a new iPhone in the first qaurter of next year which will feature 3g and live GPS. This is a major network. Has anyone heard if this?

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
some chick on the g4 channel just said there will be a new iPhone in the first qaurter of next year which will feature 3g and live GPS. This is a major network. Has anyone heard if this?
Nice, thanks for confirming this. Can't wait till that comes out, I'm buying it. Did it mention the price by the way?

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Damn it Apple I don't have the cash for this....

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think this is pure speculation. Steve Jobs did comment on 3G when he announced the iPhone in London. Roughly translated, he said there were battery issues and they were working on it.

Is 3G next? Yes. Will there be an iPhone 2. Yes. He was just confirming what we all know -- Apple is working on a next generaton iPhone. I think some of the news outlets have jumped on this unncessarily.

Now, on a side note, I cannot say anything bad about G4 since they featured EIP as being one of the best sites for iPhone.;)

-Chris

Jun 26, 2007
im not sure if any of you know this
but would there be a price jump for a 3G iPhone or are we looking in the range of the iPhone on iDay?

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I think this is pure speculation. Steve Jobs did comment on 3G when he announced the iPhone in London. Roughly translated, he said there were battery issues and they were working on it.

Is 3G next? Yes. Will there be an iPhone 2. Yes. He was just confirming what we all know -- Apple is working on a next generaton iPhone. I think some of the news outlets have jumped on this unncessarily.

Now, on a side note, I cannot say anything bad about G4 since they featured EIP as being one of the best sites for iPhone.;)

-Chris
Cool, thata way ta get the word out!

Also this is probably the 4th or 5th thread about a new iPhone early next year...only time will tell?

;)

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I don't know I'm happy with my iPhone on edge. If the new iPhone has the same or better battery life then the current one I will probably check it out.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
this is pure speculation! look, jobs' words in london were "hopefully the technology of the 3G chips will progress so we can have them in an ipod by, you know, late next year."

after saying that, he can't release a new 3G ipod in the first quarter of 2008! people would have his head .. CEOs cant come out and say one thing and then do another.

europeans wouldn't ever buy another iPhone if they buy this one and then in january a 3G would come out. the only thing i see happening is at WWDC they announce iPhone 2 and then they wait for the FCC to approve it like last time. it'll leak out anyway once they submit it.

besides, if it requires another 2 years to buy that one with AT&T, who will want it? i don't want to extend another 2 years and make it 3-4 years total. hopefully Apple thinks up a good upgrade policy with this. if 5-10Million have an iPhone by late next year, then it'll be hard to get people to upgrade without some sort of compensation or not requiring another 2 years with AT&T.

besides, once the 3G is announced, who will buy the current one knowinbg a 3G is coming after FCC approval?

nobody, unless they live in a non 3G area and know they wont have it for a long, long time.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
this is pure speculation! look, jobs' words in london were "hopefully the technology of the 3G chips will progress so we can have them in an ipod by, you know, late next year."

after saying that, he can't release a new 3G ipod in the first quarter of 2008! people would have his head .. CEOs cant come out and say one thing and then do another.

europeans wouldn't ever buy another iPhone if they buy this one and then in january a 3G would come out. the only thing i see happening is at WWDC they announce iPhone 2 and then they wait for the FCC to approve it like last time. it'll leak out anyway once they submit it.

besides, if it requires another 2 years to buy that one with AT&T, who will want it? i don't want to extend another 2 years and make it 3-4 years total. hopefully Apple thinks up a good upgrade policy with this. if 5-10Million have an iPhone by late next year, then it'll be hard to get people to upgrade without some sort of compensation or not requiring another 2 years with AT&T.

besides, once the 3G is announced, who will buy the current one knowinbg a 3G is coming after FCC approval?

nobody, unless they live in a non 3G area and know they wont have it for a long, long time.
You didn't have to buy an ATT contract to get the phone, you just need to use it on the ATT network. For instance my friend was already an ATT customer and he didn't have to resign or extend because he was already on ATT.

Also, I've never heard of a cellphone company that added contract to the end of an already existing one. Usually they just restart the contract. Example would be if I'm one year into my 2 year contract and then I get a new phone and get a discount on it which required a new 2 year contract, I would be locked in 2 years from that point and not 3 years.

bbguy5

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Rolling Meadows, IL
You didn't have to buy an ATT contract to get the phone, you just need to use it on the ATT network. For instance my friend was already an ATT customer and he didn't have to resign or extend because he was already on ATT.

Also, I've never heard of a cellphone company that added contract to the end of an already existing one. Usually they just restart the contract. Example would be if I'm one year into my 2 year contract and then I get a new phone and get a discount on it which required a new 2 year contract, I would be locked in 2 years from that point and not 3 years.
Your friend DID automatically resign his contract by adding the iPhone. Read the TOS.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
iPhone 2....user replaceable/removable battery....please.

If 3G is going to be a drain on the battery, I would like to purchase a backup battery for times when I am on 3G, and there is no place to plug in a charger.

Apple, PLEASE READ THIS!

As far as price? Almost all of AT&T's phone models that offer 3G, cost more than each models' predecessor in it's line, that didn't offer 3G. So a higher price for the next iPhone if it includes 3G? Likely, even though Apple sets the price point.

iRentC

Sep 18, 2007
I was in a "Cingular" store on Wednesday talking to the store manager, (who didn't actually have the iPhones in stock, but knew of them) and she did mention a new iPhone coming soon that had GPS capabilities and 3G. SHE said it was coming at the end of this year, but I'm not sure how true that is. I can say, she wasn't very interested in trying to sell me one!

Bobby Digital

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I was in a "Cingular" store on Wednesday talking to the store manager, (who didn't actually have the iPhones in stock, but knew of them) and she did mention a new iPhone coming soon that had GPS capabilities and 3G. SHE said it was coming at the end of this year, but I'm not sure how true that is. I can say, she wasn't very interested in trying to sell me one!
Its hard to sell speculation haha. I know for a fact that nothing is fact in those stores until there is a SKU (Store UPC) assigned to the product and there is no such number in AT&T or Apples retail system. I knew about the new Ipods and prices about 3 weeks before the address by looking up SKU's. She's just speculating like everyone else. How would a retail store manager know before Apples Stock Holders And certified interest stores. Working in the store gives you no more info than working in Best Buy or Circuit Crappy.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
they only know what they've heard in the media. the local news here ran a story on the iPhone getting GPS and 3G by christmas based on speculation. Apple in no way has told att employees about whats coming next. they didn't know a thing about the iPhone when it launched .. why on earth would they start telling employees about future models?

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Why would Apple release a new iPhone when demand for the current one is at record levels since the price cut?

doesn't make any sense from a businesss standpoint. They will lower the price of the current iPhone probably to about 299 maybe even 199 before christmas to boost sales again. Remember Apple is making money off of the phone AND the service. They have nothing to do with the service yet still profit from it. They don't need to maintain the network or update it, yet they still profit, Ive heard as much as $360 per contract.

The new iPhone wont be out until late 2008 for quarter 2009. Thats the only thing that makes fiscal sense for Apple.