Just spent hours with AT&T and iPhone still not activated...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

axhoaxho

Jul 3, 2007
I bought myself an iPhone last Friday, and it activated pretty easily. I have an old AT&T plan (before Cingluar) on my old cellphone.

When I first tried to activate my iPhone to my iTune, it asked me to call AT&T to complete the activation because it couldn't transfer my old plan to the new one automatically.

No problem, I called AT&T and in 15 minutes they activated my iPhone with my old cellphone's phone number.

I was happily using it since Friday. My wife saw me enjoying my iPhone, so today she decided to get herself an iPhone as well.

My wife and I had the same kind of old cellphone and old AT&T plan (we purchased our old cellphones together couple years ago). I thought it would be as easy to activate her iPhone like mine, just like I did on last Friday.

However....

Today when I tried to activate her iPhone, and went through the same procedures to call the AT&T, they couldn't activate my wife's iPhone.

My wife's iPhone tried to wait for AT&T to activate its service, and then timed-out and reported 'No Service' on the left top corner of its screen.

I was on the phone with the AT&T people (at least four of them involved) for countless hours (basically the whole night), they put me on hold for most of time, but eventually still couldn't get my wife's iPhone activated.

At last, they asked me to hang up and said they will called me back in an hour. Of couse, after four hours later and now is 3:00am, nobody called me back and the iPhone was still not activated.

I think I will just have to call AT&T again tomorrow morning, and go through the same thing again....:mad:

Sorry to rant, but it was frustrating spending hours on the phone with AT&T, they didn't call me back as they said, my wife's iPhone is still not activated, and I have to go through the same thing again tomorrow morning. :oops:

Thanks for reading, with best regards,
- Alex.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I bought myself an iPhone last Friday, and it activated pretty easily. I have an old AT&T plan (before Cingluar) on my old cellphone.

When I first tried to activate my iPhone to my iTune, it asked me to call AT&T to complete the activation because it couldn't transfer my old plan to the new one automatically.

No problem, I called AT&T and in 15 minutes they activated my iPhone with my old cellphone's phone number.

I was happily using it since Friday. My wife saw me enjoying my iPhone, so today she decided to get herself an iPhone as well.

My wife and I had the same kind of old cellphone and old AT&T plan (we purchased our old cellphones together couple years ago). I thought it would be as easy to activate her iPhone like mine, just like I did on last Friday.

However....

Today when I tried to activate her iPhone, and went through the same procedures to call the AT&T, they couldn't activate my wife's iPhone.

My wife's iPhone tried to wait for AT&T to activate its service, and then timed-out and reported 'No Service' on the left top corner of its screen.

I was on the phone with the AT&T people (at least four of them involved) for countless hours (basically the whole night), they put me on hold for most of time, but eventually still couldn't get my wife's iPhone activated.

At last, they asked me to hang up and said they will called me back in an hour. Of couse, after four hours later and now is 3:00am, nobody called me back and the iPhone was still not activated.

I think I will just have to call AT&T again tomorrow morning, and go through the same thing again....:mad:

Sorry to rant, but it was frustrating spending hours on the phone with AT&T, they didn't call me back as they said, my wife's iPhone is still not activated, and I have to go through the same thing again tomorrow morning. :oops:

Thanks for reading, with best regards,
- Alex.

You could try taking it back to AT&T and asking them to replace the SIM card. That has worked for many people.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
my story ..

this is what im working with......

i have had my number for 4 yrs.... when i got my iPhone i opened it under another line... i wanted to retrieve my old number to my iPhone so that my brother could take over that other phone [ i wanted them to generate a random number for him] ..

this is what they told be ...

you have to do an early termination for for the iPhone [ 175 bucks] then reactivate it under the number that i had before.. and get this pay another activation fee..

i think that this is INSANE i have been working on this for a good week now.. i have gone in everyday since the DAY after i got the phone...

i think that it is crap that i payed all that money for the phone yet i cannot keep my number..

MY rant that is all and seemed appropriate for this discussion .....

axhoaxho

Jul 3, 2007
An update -- As 5:30am this morning (yes, I couldn't sleep well last night) I tried to restart my wife's iPhone and reconnected it to the iTune, and it suddenly worked!

I guess the AT&T guys must have finally fixed whatever the problem was, and now it seemed working okay. Fingers crossed...

What a long night, but at least I am glad that my wife's iPhone is finally working.

With best regards,
- Alex.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I think restarting it did the thing.. Honestly I sat on monday the 2nd for about 3 hours and it wouldn't activate i figured shyt im gunna have to wait days for this ... i played with the phone and wouldn't get service and the screen that said awaiting activation wasn't there no more because i was playing i wanted it to come back when i left the phone down.. it never did so i thought if i restarted the phone it would show.. i did that and then i had service lol