just switch SIMs or call AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by shutter13, Sep 26, 2013.

1. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

I used my wife's upgrade to get the 5S and she is getting my 5. Should I just switch SIM cards and activate the new one in my wife's "new" iPhone 5, or should I call AT&T and let them do there magic changing which imei is associated with which sim card?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

If I'm understanding correctly, I would have AT&T do their magic. From experience, it shouldn't be difficult, however in some cases you need to bring both phones into the store.

Sent using iCafe app

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I did this same thing. The iPhone must be activated with the sim it shipped with, then you need to call AT&T and move your iPhone 5 sim to the 5s and AT&T will get it working. Then you need to go to AT&T to get a new sim for your wife's iPhone 5 as the one you removed for the 5s will not work. That's the only way I did this, I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T.

4. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

Yeah, I was thinking the same way, better safe than sorry.

5. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

I should have activated the new phone with my wife's number and just switched

This is what happened, after being assured by the first Rep I talked to that it could be done without a new SIM card....I have to run to radioshack and buy a SIM card. however the second rep I talked to gave me almost 90 dollars credit for my trouble, so it worked out in my favor.

6. Steven Nicholson

Steven Nicholson New Member

u can just activate it and then swap the sims..i do that every year

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

why would you buy a sim AT&T gives them to you for free
    If you live further just ask if they give you an extra for a later switch

8. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

I live an hour away from a corporate store. There is a non-corporate store on my way home from work, I'll try them first and see if they will comp it, but honestly...they gave me 83 bucks + change credit, for the inconvenience, I can buy one at radio shack if I have to, doesn't cost me anything in the long run.

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Next time you go to AT&T let them give you a spare. I do have always one on hand just in case.

10. dapurplenurple

Bronze

I've done this the last three years with no issues.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. There is no reason to go buy or pick up a free SIM from AT&T when you already have two working SIMs for the two phones.

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

This did not work for me, even with AT&T on the phone switching things over. Ended up having to go to the store for a new sim. Not sure why it didn't work for me.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you activate the new phone with the new sim and then just swap them afterwards? That should work fine.

If you activated the new phone with the old SIM, the new SIM won't work after that. If you did that, you could just call AT&T to get it activated for the old phone. You just have to give them the SIM ID numbers.

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yes, I activated while on the phone with AT&T, then they had me swap cards but it did not work, they didn't know why either, so a quick trip to AT&T a mile from my house and 5 min later and a new sim later we were good.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, you don't have to call them. Just turn the phone on and go through the set up steps to activate.