just switch SIMs or call AT&T

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I used my wife's upgrade to get the 5S and she is getting my 5. Should I just switch SIM cards and activate the new one in my wife's "new" iPhone 5, or should I call AT&T and let them do there magic changing which imei is associated with which sim card?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If I'm understanding correctly, I would have AT&T do their magic. From experience, it shouldn't be difficult, however in some cases you need to bring both phones into the store.

Sent using iCafe app

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I used my wife's upgrade to get the 5S and she is getting my 5. Should I just switch SIM cards and activate the new one in my wife's "new" iPhone 5, or should I call AT&T and let them do there magic changing which imei is associated with which sim card?
I did this same thing. The iPhone must be activated with the sim it shipped with, then you need to call AT&T and move your iPhone 5 sim to the 5s and AT&T will get it working. Then you need to go to AT&T to get a new sim for your wife's iPhone 5 as the one you removed for the 5s will not work. That's the only way I did this, I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, I was thinking the same way, better safe than sorry.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I should have activated the new phone with my wife's number and just switched
I did this same thing. The iPhone must be activated with the sim it shipped with, then you need to call AT&T and move your iPhone 5 sim to the 5s and AT&T will get it working. Then you need to go to AT&T to get a new sim for your wife's iPhone 5 as the one you removed for the 5s will not work. That's the only way I did this, I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T.

This is what happened, after being assured by the first Rep I talked to that it could be done without a new SIM card....I have to run to radioshack and buy a SIM card. however the second rep I talked to gave me almost 90 dollars credit for my trouble, so it worked out in my favor.

Oct 5, 2011
u can just activate it and then swap the sims..i do that every year

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I should have activated the new phone with my wife's number and just switched

This is what happened, after being assured by the first Rep I talked to that it could be done without a new SIM card....I have to run to radioshack and buy a SIM card. however the second rep I talked to gave me almost 90 dollars credit for my trouble, so it worked out in my favor.
why would you buy a sim AT&T gives them to you for free
If you live further just ask if they give you an extra for a later switch

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I live an hour away from a corporate store. There is a non-corporate store on my way home from work, I'll try them first and see if they will comp it, but honestly...they gave me 83 bucks + change credit, for the inconvenience, I can buy one at radio shack if I have to, doesn't cost me anything in the long run.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I live an hour away from a corporate store. There is a non-corporate store on my way home from work, I'll try them first and see if they will comp it, but honestly...they gave me 83 bucks + change credit, for the inconvenience, I can buy one at radio shack if I have to, doesn't cost me anything in the long run.
Next time you go to AT&T let them give you a spare. I do have always one on hand just in case.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Agreed. There is no reason to go buy or pick up a free SIM from AT&T when you already have two working SIMs for the two phones.
This did not work for me, even with AT&T on the phone switching things over. Ended up having to go to the store for a new sim. Not sure why it didn't work for me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This did not work for me, even with AT&T on the phone switching things over. Ended up having to go to the store for a new sim. Not sure why it didn't work for me.
Did you activate the new phone with the new sim and then just swap them afterwards? That should work fine.

If you activated the new phone with the old SIM, the new SIM won't work after that. If you did that, you could just call AT&T to get it activated for the old phone. You just have to give them the SIM ID numbers.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Did you activate the new phone with the new sim and then just swap them afterwards? That should work fine.

If you activated the new phone with the old SIM, the new SIM won't work after that. If you did that, you could just call AT&T to get it activated for the old phone. You just have to give them the SIM ID numbers.
Yes, I activated while on the phone with AT&T, then they had me swap cards but it did not work, they didn't know why either, so a quick trip to AT&T a mile from my house and 5 min later and a new sim later we were good.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, you don't have to call them. Just turn the phone on and go through the set up steps to activate.