Just Unlocked My iPhone with anySIM!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
So ATT SIM holders can update reglarly through iTunes without it getting locked too, correct? Or will you not be able to update it if a new firmware comes out? If I know I can update my firmware and have the regular voicemail in the iPhone while it's unlocked I'll unlock mine. Let me know ASAP. TY

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
So ATT SIM holders can update reglarly through iTunes without it getting locked too, correct? Or will you not be able to update it if a new firmware comes out? If I know I can update my firmware and have the regular voicemail in the iPhone while it's unlocked I'll unlock mine. Let me know ASAP. TY
You can use iTunes just fine, no problems. Voicemail is accessable via dial-in, not via visual though, on other sims/carriers.

As to relocking with update: Unknown, since there hasn't been a new firmware update yet. But, since it's a one button, 3 min process to unlock, it doesn't hurt to do it. And if it does get relocked on next firmware update, an AnySIM update will follow shortly to allow you to reunlock :)

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Apple can stop this very easily with a stratedgy shift

You can use iTunes just fine, no problems. Voicemail is accessable via dial-in, not via visual though, on other sims/carriers.

As to relocking with update: Unknown, since there hasn't been a new firmware update yet. But, since it's a one button, 3 min process to unlock, it doesn't hurt to do it. And if it does get relocked on next firmware update, an AnySIM update will follow shortly to allow you to reunlock :)
If Apple locks down unlocked phones, I doubt that the fix for it will follow shortly. In the first rev, Apple spent a great deal of time and effort attempting to secure the firmware, and very little effort trying to detect an unlocked phone. I suspect that new firmware versions wont change the lock on the front door to much, they will just utilize a number of very easy techniques to determine if your phone has been registered with Apple / AT&T or not, and to determine if it has been unlocked.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
If Apple locks down unlocked phones, I doubt that the fix for it will follow shortly. In the first rev, Apple spent a great deal of time and effort attempting to secure the firmware, and very little effort trying to detect an unlocked phone. I suspect that new firmware versions wont change the lock on the front door to much, they will just utilize a number of very easy techniques to determine if your phone has been registered with Apple / AT&T or not, and to determine if it has been unlocked.
The problem with this plan is it's ILLEGAL in the US. Remember: in the US, it's legal to unlock your phone for personal use. The carrier isn't required to provide this unlock, but they can't prevent it either. If Apple (or ATT) happened to relock the phone on accident, say with a new firmware... nothing to say about that. But if they actively blocked your ability to unlock the phone? Way illegal.

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
This is subject to interpretation

The problem with this plan is it's ILLEGAL in the US. Remember: in the US, it's legal to unlock your phone for personal use. The carrier isn't required to provide this unlock, but they can't prevent it either. If Apple (or ATT) happened to relock the phone on accident, say with a new firmware... nothing to say about that. But if they actively blocked your ability to unlock the phone? Way illegal.
I think you may be interpreting things one way when the law could be interpreted in a number of ways. You say that the carrier can't prevent an unlock, but isn't that exactly what Apple did when the phone came out ? Sure eventually a workaround was figured out, but Apple had a fairly secure environment in place specifically to prevent users from unlocking their phones. I seriously doubt that Apples legal team feels like that was illegal. If they make it tougher still with a future rev, at what point does it become so tough that it's illegal ?

They could argue that no matter what they do, there is always some way (that may never be discovered) to unlock the phone.

The fact that in the US it is legal to unlock your phone doesn't imply that it is illegal for a carrier to put measures in place that prevent you from unlocking your phone. These are two completely different things.

Please post the verbiage of this law if you have it ...

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I think you may be interpreting things one way when the law could be interpreted in a number of ways. You say that the carrier can't prevent an unlock, but isn't that exactly what Apple did when the phone came out ? Sure eventually a workaround was figured out, but Apple had a fairly secure environment in place specifically to prevent users from unlocking their phones. I seriously doubt that Apples legal team feels like that was illegal. If they make it tougher still with a future rev, at what point does it become so tough that it's illegal ?

They could argue that no matter what they do, there is always some way (that may never be discovered) to unlock the phone.

The fact that in the US it is legal to unlock your phone doesn't imply that it is illegal for a carrier to put measures in place that prevent you from unlocking your phone. These are two completely different things.

Please post the verbiage of this law if you have it ...
Apple didn't "prevent unlocking" with the iPhone when it was first released... They released the iPhone already locked. Further, they didn't provide any method to easily unlock it, but they're not required to either.

Technically, at no point have they modified the difficulty of unlocking the iPhone (unless it's been in a lab). As I said, if they intentially release a software update that locks the iPhone (with no other benefit) that would be Illegal. Since the current unlock method is based on modification of the modem firmware, any new firmware version would probably relock it again. This would probably necessitate discovering the correct values in the new firmware. Assuming this new firmware is necessary to fix a problem, Apple hasn't done anything wrong. If they released this firmware update that accomplished nothing but relocking however, a case could be made against Apple. Similiarly, if they suddenly changed the firmware to be encrypted, making it impossible to find/modify the correct value, this could also be considered illegal (maybe). If they put an active system in place (in iTunes say) that checked the iPhone, and if it was unlocked rendered it unusable... that would definitely be Illegal!

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
http://digg.com/Apple/anySIM_is_here_open_source_GUI_iphone_unlock_app

Found this on above post:

"How to install anySIM...(much easier)

1. Install the AppTapp Installer if you haven't already done so, http://iPhone.nullriver.com/beta/
2. Launch MobileSafari and go here, http://conceitedsoftware.com/iPhone/beta/
3. Click "Yes", then go back to Installer and refresh sources.
4. Find anySIM in the list and install it"

I did it and got anySim to show up on AppTapp list but I didn't install it.
I have an uncle overseas who is interested in unlocking and I was just curious.

I'm sticking with AT&T, works great.

BTW- use at your own risk, I know nothing about unlocking...

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
http://digg.com/Apple/anySIM_is_here_open_source_GUI_iphone_unlock_app

Found this on above post:

"How to install anySIM...(much easier)

1. Install the AppTapp Installer if you haven't already done so, http://iPhone.nullriver.com/beta/
2. Launch MobileSafari and go here, http://conceitedsoftware.com/iPhone/beta/
3. Click "Yes", then go back to Installer and refresh sources.
4. Find anySIM in the list and install it"

I did it and got anySim to show up on AppTapp list but I didn't install it.
I have an uncle overseas who is interested in unlocking and I was just curious.

I'm sticking with AT&T, works great.

BTW- use at your own risk, I know nothing about unlocking...
doesn't work...there is nowhere to click "Yes"..

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Conan, I did it just now for second time.

You should be typing the address on your iPhone Safari.

A "yes" or "no" shows up for me...

BTW- I'm downloading via WiFi on my iPhone