Just updated to 1.1.3 and...

KTORRES1120

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
...I still have my own Carrier icon that I created through MIM. Does this mean I didn't upgrade properly? My carrier icon said KT&T on my JB OTB 1.1.2 then after going to 1.1.3 I thought all that stuff would be gone and everything would start fresh? But my carrier icon still shows as KT&T. I only did the upgrade to 1.1.3 because I've been having problems with SMS messages not coming through or being really delayed for the last few weeks and I wanted to start fresh.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You should Restore, not update, if you want to start fresh. Can't recall the thread or find it immediately, but this was a quote from Tinman on this subject just recently:
"Also a Restore wipes both the system and media partitions on the iPhone. An Update Only wipes the system, leaving the media Partition alone (so you won't need to reload music, etc.). Many third-party apps store data on the media partition so if you update rather than restore that data will remain (e.g., Installer files).

So the very best way to clean the iPhone is to do a full restore, and then don't agree to use the last backup (which means nothing on the iPhone will be saved).
"

KTORRES1120

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
Hmm, does that mean I will lose all my SMS messages, Address books, music, photos and videos? Or does iTunes store this info to later be put back on the phone?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
As long as you don't have any problems you should be O.K. If you start to experience any problems you will probably have to restore your software to its original state and select the option to not use previous backups.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
You should Restore, not update, if you want to start fresh. Can't recall the thread or find it immediately, but this was a quote from Tinman on this subject just recently:
"Also a Restore wipes both the system and media partitions on the iPhone. An Update Only wipes the system, leaving the media Partition alone (so you won't need to reload music, etc.). Many third-party apps store data on the media partition so if you update rather than restore that data will remain (e.g., Installer files).

So the very best way to clean the iPhone is to do a full restore, and then don't agree to use the last backup (which means nothing on the iPhone will be saved). "
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/to-jailbreak-or-not-to.18750/

Last edited by a moderator:

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Hmm, does that mean I will lose all my SMS messages, Address books, music, photos and videos? Or does iTunes store this info to later be put back on the phone?
In order to completely restore the software to its original state, you will have to lose this information. These are the brakes of modifications.:(

KTORRES1120

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
I will even lose all the info I have on iTunes? Like everything in my Music and Video library? Sorry, I just want to be sure before doing this. Thanks for everyone's help!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I will even lose all the info I have on iTunes? Like everything in my Music and Video library? Sorry, I just want to be sure before doing this. Thanks for everyone's help!
If your contact addresses exist on your PC/Mac, you should be able to sync them back once you've restored, Same for photos, music, videos - *if* they are on your PC, not solely on your iPhone, then setup sync once restored to sync them across. SMS messages are not natively synced or backed up via iTunes - I think there is a Mac application that will do this for you (can't recall name, Google for it), don't recall seeing anything for PCs and SMS backup ...

KTORRES1120

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
Ok great Thanks! I just need to start fresh to see if everything functions properly. Then I'll wait a bit until I know the 1.1.3 JB works and back to JB I go!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Ok great Thanks! I just need to start fresh to see if everything functions properly. Then I'll wait a bit until I know the 1.1.3 JB works and back to JB I go!

I see you are 1.1.2 OBT just to let you know if you go to 1.1.3 and anything fails, you will be staying at 1.1.3 because you can not downgrade from there.:eek:

KTORRES1120

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
Oh ok cool. Thanks. Well, I'm all restored to 1.1.3 but my SMS texts are still messed up. Thanks anyway for all your help.