Kakaotalk: 5.1 exploit?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by fearofnormalcy, Mar 2, 2012.

1. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

I follow a bunch of major players in the JB scene, and a few days ago @i0n1c posted a couple of cryptic tweets (Tweet 1, Tweet 2) urging iPhone users to download version 2.8.8 of the Kakaotalk Messenger app in the App Store before Apple removes it. As of this post, it's still available.

He goes out of his way to say it has nothing to do "with an exploitable vulnerability that can be used for 5.1 jailbreak"....riiiiiiiiight, i0n1c.

It's a free app, so it can't hurt to download. Make sure you back up the .ipa so you always have access to version 2.8.8 just in case it gets updated.

While App Store apps don't have root access, I wonder if C-Dev's crash reporter found something that could possibly make this seemingly benign app useful in the near future.

Stay tuned, y'all....

2. AgentX

AgentX New Member

New to iPhone, looked up a lot of methods for backup of .ipa file, what is easiest way on 4s and win vista?

Or do you already have to be jb/5.0.1 for this to be of any use?

3. fearofnormalcy

Gold

This doesn't require being currently jailbroken on 5.0.1 at all, but I will say it's overall usefulness remains to be seen at the moment.

All I know is when i0n1c tweets it, and MuscleNerd takes the time to retweet it, I tend to pay attention.

As for copying the file on XP, I'm an OSX guy, but my educated guess is to open iTunes with your 4S connected, click on the tab that says Apps at the top, find Kakaotalk and right click it, then there should be a way to find the location of the ipa file that way (or just Copy from there). Make a copy on your desktop and forget about it until more is revealed...

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

If you sync with iTunes on your Vista computer, then you can find the .ipa file by going to
    C>Computer>Users>your account name>My Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Mobile Applications

5. fearofnormalcy

Gold

Thanks Lon.

I haven't used Windows since Win95....I'm kinda out of the loop!

6. AgentX

AgentX New Member

Yup, thanks guys, first time I've used iTunes after coming over from Android since G1.

7. AgentX

AgentX New Member

Is the .ipa file all that is needed to install? And, can I email this file to a friend for install or is it protected somehow?

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

The best way to find out is to try!