Keep app folders when upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by lawrenjs, Sep 23, 2013.

1. lawrenjs

lawrenjs New Member

Is there a way to keep my apps in the folders I've created when I upgrade from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5s? I hoping maybe some kind of backup will work.

Thanks.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hello. Make sure you have a backup saved to your iTunes of your iPhone 4.

Sadly, I am reading from past iPhone users on an Apple discussion saying that they have restored with folders, but only a few of the applications stayed in the folders. Hopefully someone here will have a straight answer for you.

I just read an answer as to why the applications may not be put back into the folders. Supposedly, iTunes first attempts to restore the folders. But obviously the applications have not been restored yet, so none of the folders are allowed to be created empty.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread/2504182?start=0&tstart=0

Sent using iCafe app

3. rjkgr

rjkgr Member
    Bronze

i don't believe you can do a backup to save the older version. but you can always try

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You can use a backup on an older iPhone for a newer iPhone. As for saving the format of the apps in the folders, this is not possible as iTunes has to restore the applications first.

Sent using iCafe app

5. giddyup944

giddyup944 New Member

Back up your old phone to icloud. Make sure all your apps are checked in the icloud settings so they back up. Then use the icloud to restore all the apps in their proper places on your new phone. I just went from a 5 to 5s and all my screens and folders were setup identically. My wife went from a 4 to 5 and hers all remained the same also.