Keep app folders when upgrading?

lawrenjs

Oct 25, 2010
Is there a way to keep my apps in the folders I've created when I upgrade from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5s? I hoping maybe some kind of backup will work.

Thanks.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Hello. Make sure you have a backup saved to your iTunes of your iPhone 4.

Sadly, I am reading from past iPhone users on an Apple discussion saying that they have restored with folders, but only a few of the applications stayed in the folders. Hopefully someone here will have a straight answer for you.

I just read an answer as to why the applications may not be put back into the folders. Supposedly, iTunes first attempts to restore the folders. But obviously the applications have not been restored yet, so none of the folders are allowed to be created empty.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread/2504182?start=0&tstart=0

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
You can use a backup on an older iPhone for a newer iPhone. As for saving the format of the apps in the folders, this is not possible as iTunes has to restore the applications first.

Sent using iCafe app

Jul 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Back up your old phone to icloud. Make sure all your apps are checked in the icloud settings so they back up. Then use the icloud to restore all the apps in their proper places on your new phone. I just went from a 5 to 5s and all my screens and folders were setup identically. My wife went from a 4 to 5 and hers all remained the same also.