Keep e-mail on iPhone after sync

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
Since I am new, 3 days worth. I have come over from multiple Dark Sides of the universe, Verizon and Treo 700wx. I have set up to sync with my exchange server and it is successful. My first question is, is there a way to keep some e-mails on the iPhone even after sync? some have attachements and i would love to keep them (spread sheets). Second one of the features I like in the WM 6.0 side of the universe was syncing my outlook tasks with my treo and getting an alarm when they are do, is there any program on iPhone that can help me here? Thnks in advance for any and all help.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
First off welcome..

In regard to keeping emails on your phone after sync, if you have exchange server set up to "push" the email will stay on the phone providing you do not delete from your desktop or the phone. Come to think about it, if you are using exchange properly the only things you are syncing is book marks, music, videos, apps. Push is designed to keep you automatically synced. Just remember, what you do on your desktop will effect your phone and visa versa. In regard to syncing notes, this is a huge iPhone disappointment. In other words you can't.

Welcome aboard.

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
First off welcome..

In regard to keeping emails on your phone after sync, if you have exchange server set up to "push" the email will stay on the phone providing you do not delete from your desktop or the phone. Come to think about it, if you are using exchange properly the only things you are syncing is book marks, music, videos, apps. Push is designed to keep you automatically synced. Just remember, what you do on your desktop will effect your phone and visa versa. In regard to syncing notes, this is a huge iPhone disappointment. In other words you can't.

Welcome aboard.
Thank you, but then I guess I do not have it set up the right way.
1) e-mail durring the day is pushed to the phone
2) the next day I sighn on to outlook with my lap top, my e-mail is brought over from the server to the lap top, it is removed from the server. All of the e-mail comes over.
3) I then open the iPhone, open e-mail, the iPhone checks the e-mail, and then all the old e-mails go away, and only new e-mails that have not be brought over to the laptop appear if any

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
It sounds like your server needs to be set to remove email from server after deleting. The way you descirbe yours it sounds like it is set to remove after reading.

Your contacts and calendar should work fine on push.

Thank you, but then I guess I do not have it set up the right way.
1) e-mail durring the day is pushed to the phone
2) the next day I sighn on to outlook with my lap top, my e-mail is brought over from the server to the lap top, it is removed from the server. All of the e-mail comes over.
3) I then open the iPhone, open e-mail, the iPhone checks the e-mail, and then all the old e-mails go away, and only new e-mails that have not be brought over to the laptop appear if any
Here's what it sounds like to me.

1) iPhone is set up with IMAP account. You read mail but it stays on server.

2) Laptop is set up with POP3 account. Outlook is opened, mail is downloaded and read on laptop.

3) Mail on iPhone no longer there because it has been downloaded to laptop.

I could be wrong, but that's the thought that I'm getting. Maybe if you can either RE-setup the laptop as an IMAP account, or maybe use Outlook Web Access to manage your mail on the laptop, it would keep it where it should be.

Just a thought.... :)