Keep having to "reset all settings"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by David Eric, Dec 4, 2012.

1. David Eric

David Eric New Member

im having an issue with my phone running IOS 5.1.1 and it is jail broken.

a couple days ago my phone was freezing up and crashing on me, i reset all settings and everything seemed to start working as normal.

last night i started charging my phone when my alarm went on this morning i snoozed it, a couple minutes later i check my phone and its off. i did the reboot by holding the power+home button, the phone started up again.

after playing with it for a couple minutes it froze again and i turned it off, restarted it "reset all settings again" and now its working fine again.

anyone have a similar experience like this? this all started sunday morning when my phone had a black screen but was vibrating like crazy for a good couple min. and everything started then.

any advice for help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

When you say "reset all settings" what do you mean?

3. David Eric

David Eric New Member

i go to settings>general>reset>reset all settings

the phone resets everything and right now its working fine.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Could be a bad app or corrupted data somewhere.. Jail breaking is nice but it does come with issues at times as well..

Could also be the phone has a hardware issue..

5. David Eric

David Eric New Member

got it, it just started doing that this past sunday before that there were no issues at all. would you advise updating to the latest IOS 6.0 maybe it would fix it? its a used iPhone and they told me its factory unlocked so i shouldnt have any issues updating it to IOS 6 should i?

is there anyway to confirm that its factory unlocked? i want to update to 6 but would hate to update and find out that its no longer unlocked, and if that were the case is there a unlock program out for the new IOS 6 and jail break yet?

i greatly appreciate your help.

6. David Eric

David Eric New Member

im also using this on the tmobile network if that makes any difference.

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

That all depends on if its a real unlocked iPhone from Apple or if it was software unlocked..

If its the latter, I believe updating the OS could cause you to lose the unlock and then it would be a paperweight on T-Mobile unless you paid to have it unlocked again..

8. David Eric

David Eric New Member

is there anyway to find out whether its factory unlocked or software unlocked? anything in settings?

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I would call Apple and give them the SN #..

If its a true Apple unlocked phone you can upgrade the OS with no issues at all..

If it's a carrier phone that was software unlocked then upgrading the OS will most likely cause you to loose that unlock..

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You won't lose the unlock when you update if it's factory unlocked. You can verify if it's factory unlocked here. Input your IMIE number (Settings > General > About). It will say 'unlocked' if it's facory unlocked and 'locked' if it's software unlocked.

11. David Eric

David Eric New Member

looks like its unlocked

so i can update to 6.0 without *losing my unlock, has there been a jail break made for IOS 6.0? i do use certain apps from cydia everyday which is my concern

Attached Files:

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There's a tethered jailbreak for the 3GS and iPhone 4, but not the 4S.