Keep my same phone number?

Neil

Bronze
My current contract with another provider (*rhymes with where the sun rises and sets*) is up on July 7. Obviously, I would wait to cancel it until then. If I buy an iPhone in the meantime and sign up with ATT, can I get the same phone number I have now, with providers overlapping temporarily?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
No I don't think so. Just wait the week dude it will be worth it :) Also you will have no trouble finding one.

thinkart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Mid-MO
actually it is possible. i did this. you will have to have a temporary new number until your other contract runs out. july 7th, don't CANCEL SERVICE UNTIL you call AT&T and have them start transferring your old number. once they have done their side of things, then you can cancel. if you cancel too soon, you lose your number

thinkart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Mid-MO
or you could order on Apple.com and get your phone by mail. then on july 7th set up AT&T as described in my last post.

tomwans

Jun 22, 2007
i called AT&T to ask the same question, im in contract with a company that rhymes with Splint/Becks-Tell, and the representative told me it would be no problem to transfer numbers, as long as i bring the previous Splint/Becks-Tell bill.

whats up with rhyming companies? lol

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
i called AT&T to ask the same question, im in contract with a company that rhymes with Splint/Becks-Tell, and the representative told me it would be no problem to transfer numbers, as long as i bring the previous Splint/Becks-Tell bill.

whats up with rhyming companies? lol
I don't know. I guess people are just tired of waiting on news about the iPhone.

Verizon
Sprint
T-Mobile
Alltel

see. I did it and lightning didn't strike me down.:)

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
In any case, before any company will transfer your number over, you have to fulfill the terms of the contract of your previous carrier—whether that means waiting until it's up or paying an early activation fee.

Jun 22, 2007
can i keep my same number if i am a cingular customer and i want to get the iPhone? or do i need to get a new number?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
can i keep my same number if i am a cingular customer and i want to get the iPhone? or do i need to get a new number?
You'll be okay. If you're already a Cingular/At&t customer, it will be just a matter of extending your contract for two years. They'll use the same number on your account.

the PHDs

Bronze
May 21, 2007
No I don't think so. Just wait the week dude it will be worth it :) Also you will have no trouble finding one.
wait...
he will have no trouble finding what? an iPhone?
let me know wjp09 because i need reassurance because it turns out i will not be able to get to the att store until MONDAY THE 2nd?!?!?!?@#$@#%@$&^%
so, do u think the iPhone WONT be impossible?
wjp, and everyone,
comment on this please!

May 25, 2007
Knoxville, TN
its not going to be impossible. i would rest assured, that you will probably be able to get a phone through Apple on the 2nd.

as far as the phone number goes, im not sure. but when i was in a store a couple weeks ago asking about keeping my same number, the guy atually told me you can get any number you want. not sure why you would want a different one, but you can get any number from any state (that currently isn't being used). so lets say your from TN and want a number with a NY area code, it is possible. just an interesting little tip. :laugh2: