Keeping the screen clean

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

louielu12

Bronze
May 9, 2007
When i first saw the iPhone, i was amazed. one of the only things that i thought of that would cause problems is the screen getting dirty. since there is no stylist, you use your thumb or other finger, which would cause there to b smudges on the screen. is the screen like the new iPod click wheels where you can add pressure and it recognizes it? if there is a case over it, would it recognize your finger? Also, what happens if the screen gets scratched? it would need to be protected. Thank you

May 6, 2007
United States
Well

If you look carefuly at certain shots during the keynote movie, you can see smudges on the iPhone. This is natural and unavoidable, you just have to try your best not to smudge it. I don't know why the iPhone screen would need to sense pressure, but I am sure it would have the potential to do so in future versions if necessary. With all the new technology in this thing, you never know what it can and can't do until you get it in your hands. As for the screen getting scratched, it has been mentioned that the screen is relatively durable and more so than the iPod's easily scratched screen. I am sure Steve Jobs will take good care to make sure that the screen will not be easily scratched, but it can and will happen. A screen protector would be a good investment as long as you make sure it is legitimate and will work with the multi touch, Your best bet would be to buy it straight from Apple if they make one, which is likely.

Just a bit of info that I have heard/seen. Feel free to ask more and I will try to research. :)

edlaue

May 9, 2007
When i first saw the iPhone, i was amazed. one of the only things that i thought of that would cause problems is the screen getting dirty. since there is no stylist, you use your thumb or other finger, which would cause there to b smudges on the screen. is the screen like the new iPod click wheels where you can add pressure and it recognizes it? if there is a case over it, would it recognize your finger? Also, what happens if the screen gets scratched? it would need to be protected. Thank you

Just use the plastic protectors that can be used on the palm.

louielu12

Bronze
May 9, 2007
If you look carefuly at certain shots during the keynote movie, you can see smudges on the iPhone. This is natural and unavoidable, you just have to try your best not to smudge it. I don't know why the iPhone screen would need to sense pressure, but I am sure it would have the potential to do so in future versions if necessary. With all the new technology in this thing, you never know what it can and can't do until you get it in your hands. As for the screen getting scratched, it has been mentioned that the screen is relatively durable and more so than the iPod's easily scratched screen. I am sure Steve Jobs will take good care to make sure that the screen will not be easily scratched, but it can and will happen. A screen protector would be a good investment as long as you make sure it is legitimate and will work with the multi touch, Your best bet would be to buy it straight from Apple if they make one, which is likely.

Just a bit of info that I have heard/seen. Feel free to ask more and I will try to research. :)
OK that helps a lot. I do think Apple will create a (working) screen protector/film to go on the screen. Currently I have a Sony W810i, which is not a flip phone or a slider, its a "brick" like the iPhone. I had to use a Palm One protective film and use an Exacto knife to make it fit exactly. The iPhone will be/is an amazing product and it would be a pitty if there was a small problem like this that could ruin it

May 6, 2007
United States
Yep, no problem. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The design of this thing is in the good hands of Steve Jobs, and smudges can always be cleaned. Now the thing I want to know is the durability of the casing (e.g. when you drop it). Most phones are okay to drop many times before they start to deteriorate, and I would guess it would be the same with the iPhone.

louielu12

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Yep, no problem. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The design of this thing is in the good hands of Steve Jobs, and smudges can always be cleaned. Now the thing I want to know is the durability of the casing (e.g. when you drop it). Most phones are okay to drop many times before they start to deteriorate, and I would guess it would be the same with the iPhone.
yes it still is human made and there is no way to fix gravity...unless there is a sensor in it the steve jobs wint tell us about...hm...haha. yeah obviously there will be people who try to break them just to test it, but they will be dumb because this is so advanced

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I'm much more concerned about dropping the thing than protecting the screen. I hate dropping my phone or pda and don't like sleeves, especially anything covering the iPhone.

fastb1

May 9, 2007
Great points/concerns. I too wonder how this is all going to workout once the product hits the real world. My first thought on watching the "roll-out" demo given by Jobs some months ago was that it looked too pretty and fragile for the kind of abuse I subject my current phone to on a daily basis. BTW, Louie, it's STYLUS not stylist. I love the concepts in the phone, but may have to wait for a second generation price drop to justify it. Too bad. would be nice to be the first kid on the block with it in pocket. Cheers.

Bender

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Virginia
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS. It has a touch screen. I am sure the iPhone is going to be simular or better than the Garmin screen. It doesn't show smudges much and so far I have not scratched it. The screen on the Gamin has a matte finish. The iPhone looks a bit more glossy. Guess we will find out in June... :cool:

desiraet

May 9, 2007

Do you think that they will have a special hard case for the iPhones? I have a black tie addition treo and it came with a hard case that I find invaluable since I constantly throw my phone in my purse. Do you think that Apple will come out with something similar? The soft cases just don't work for me.

May 6, 2007
United States
Do you think that they will have a special hard case for the iPhones? I have a black tie addition treo and it came with a hard case that I find invaluable since I constantly throw my phone in my purse. Do you think that Apple will come out with something similar? The soft cases just don't work for me.
Well, this is a toughie. I wouldn't count on it being IN the box with the phone, but we won't know until we get it or there is a "What's in the Box?" kind of thing. There will definitely be cases for it, but I would bet the majority will be leather or other materials between soft and hard. It really depends on what you mean by hard. Was it hard plastic or what?

Hey, you might want to suggest it to robhon or Apple :)

And if I get around to it I can do some more research on it. Sorry for the uncertainty, I don't quite know at this point.