Keyboard error, can't get it to go away (pics)

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
popped up out of nowhere, cant seem to get it off. tried turning all the keyboards off and no go.

any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Tried resetting it already?

...Maybe it's time to restore?

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
and its only happening in the mail app, safari works fine.

anybody got any ideas?

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Reset the phone, turn it on and off and try to repeat the problem.

The keyboard has been reported to be very buggy since 3.0 came out.

3.1 will address this issue, among other typing issues (such as SMS bubbles randomly getting bigger etc.)

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reset the phone, turn it on and off and try to repeat the problem.

The keyboard has been reported to be very buggy since 3.0 came out.

3.1 will address this issue, among other typing issues (such as SMS bubbles randomly getting bigger etc.)
Looks like the OP is jailbroken. That could have something to do with it. I haven't had any funky keyboard problems on OS 3.0 jailbroken, though... Who knows. Restore/reset your iPhone.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
Looks like the OP is jailbroken. That could have something to do with it. I haven't had any funky keyboard problems on OS 3.0 jailbroken, though... Who knows. Restore/reset your iPhone.
It's not jailbroken.......yet.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Blame the jailbreak first.... typical. (everyone does, fear of unknown) Jailbreaking isn't from some shoddy group of hackers, they know what their doing and do what they do with greatest skill while maintaining proper functionality.

When you update from 2.2.1 to 3.0 and you were jailbroken(2.2.1) AND you had MakeItMine carrier spoof, whatever you had the carrier name set to before you restored will make it through the restore unless you setup as a new device. Its harmless all it is, is a string of text that says AT&T or o2, or 3, or Vodafone etc.

3.0 is buggy especially with the keyboard. If anything blame Apple for rushing out 3.0 and the 3gS just to wow people for WWDC.

3.1 is right around the corner, which is proof 3.0 was rushed out. When was the last time a firmware came out then about a week later you're hearing the beta for the update is out...and the full release is coming soon with major corrections?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Blame the jailbreak first.... typical. (everyone does, fear of unknown) Jailbreaking isn't from some shoddy group of hackers, they know what their doing and do what they do with greatest skill while maintaining proper functionality.

When you update from 2.2.1 to 3.0 and you were jailbroken(2.2.1) AND you had MakeItMine carrier spoof, whatever you had the carrier name set to before you restored will make it through the restore unless you setup as a new device. Its harmless all it is, is a string of text that says AT&T or o2, or 3, or Vodafone etc.

3.0 is buggy especially with the keyboard. If anything blame Apple for rushing out 3.0 and the 3gS just to wow people for WWDC.

3.1 is right around the corner, which is proof 3.0 was rushed out. When was the last time a firmware came out then about a week later you're hearing the beta for the update is out...and the full release is coming soon with major corrections?
Did I say that was the culprit? I pointed it out as a possibility. Relax, dude.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
If it is limited to the mail app, try resetting the mail app first. While the mail app is open, hold down the sleep/wake button until the slide to power off button appears. Instead of sliding to power off, hold the home button until the phone goes back to the home screen. Open mail and see if problem still exists. If that does not work do a software restore from scratch to get rid of old funk.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Sort of looks like the keyboard in zoom mode and it got stuck? Just a thought. Maybe try toggling zoom.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My recommendation is to restore it to factory settings.
I have a strong feeling that you restored from a back up after jailbroking the phone and that is why traces of the jailbreak were left behind. This is why it's important to restore to factory setting after jailbreaking. I don't know if this next step is necessary, but when I'm restoring a jailbroken phone, I like to remove all the themes and basically get the phone back to where it looks stock and then restore to factory settings.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
If it is limited to the mail app, try resetting the mail app first. While the mail app is open, hold down the sleep/wake button until the slide to power off button appears. Instead of sliding to power off, hold the home button until the phone goes back to the home screen. Open mail and see if problem still exists. If that does not work do a software restore from scratch to get rid of old funk.
This.

I'd recommend restarting the phone as a second option before restoring as new, though.