Keyboard in Landscape mode plus some answers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
David Pogue posts answers to often-asked iPhone questions, and shows the iPhone keyboard in landscape mode:

He prefaces his answers by stating:Apple has indicated that it intends to add features through free software updates, so the real, secret answer to some of the “no” answers is actually, “Coming soon."

Answers to common questions:
- Speakerphone / Vibrate are weak
- One handed dialing? "Dialing the iPhone one-handed, though, is easy. As your fingers grasp the iPhone, your thumb is free to tap buttons, scroll lists and so on."
- No other company’s SIM card works in the iPhone.
- No voice memos, voice dialing or call recording
- Lacks video output to a TV
- No disk mode
- Can only use one of 25 preset ringtones
- iPhone can't be used as a wireless modem for your laptop
- Keyboard only rotates in landscape mode in Safari.

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
why would they make typing in landscape only for safari? why not go ahead and make for texting, notes, and everything else?

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
why would they make typing in landscape only for safari? why not go ahead and make for texting, notes, and everything else?
They probably will. It just a matter of updating software. I assume that it will be a feature we will see soon after launch.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Notice Pogue states that Apple is going to add features through free software updates...wouldn't it be cool if when you activate it they download the "SECRET" application or whatever? Maybe thats the big surprise!

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I also noticed David mentioned this in his article:

"Existing speaker systems trigger the iPhone’s airplane mode (wireless and phone features turned off) to avoid interference with the music."

I wonder if that means the phone also goes into airplane mode if you plug in your own regular headphones? That would be a bummer as I like to hook my mp3 player to my car stereo via an input auxillary adapter. I wouldn't want to miss any phone calls by having the iPhone automatically go into airplane mode.

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
I also noticed David mentioned this in his article:

"Existing speaker systems trigger the iPhone’s airplane mode (wireless and phone features turned off) to avoid interference with the music."

I wonder if that means the phone also goes into airplane mode if you plug in your own regular headphones? That would be a bummer as I like to hook my mp3 player to my car stereo via an input auxillary adapter. I wouldn't want to miss any phone calls by having the iPhone automatically go into airplane mode.
i think thats only if you use an fm transmitter, because that will interfere with the cell phone signal

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
yeah they wont make you miss calls while listening to music.. above everything else this phone does, it is a PHONE first, and im sure receiving a call will take precedent over everything else

iWant iPhone

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
so you cant make your own ring tones? or use your own music that you put on the phone? if thats true that really SUX! ive already made a bunch, i'll be pissed if i cant use them.