Keyboard shortcut deletions keep coming back

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Thomas Reagan, Feb 23, 2015.

Ledsteplin
Best Answer Ledsteplin, Mar 13, 2015
This worked for someone on the  forum. Quote: did the changes on both devices as step by step on both devices I went to settings / / general /... Go to Full Post
  1. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

There are some keyboard shortcuts that I don't want (be=because, he=hello, etc.) I manually delete them from the shortcuts section of "keyboards", but I later find that they have been restored to the shortcuts list at a later time (after rebooting?). Why would this be happening, and how can I prevent it from happening again? I like the use of my other shortcuts, so defeating the entire feature is not an option.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Have you tried resetting keyboard dictionary through Settings-General-Reset? This will reset all shortcuts though but may help your issue.

3. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

I just tried the reset then rebooted my phone. The deleted shortcuts did NOT come back. So far so good. Thanks!

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Not a problem at all. I haven't had to do this as I don't have but 1-2 shortcuts but I hope it stays fixed. :)

5. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

Ugh...they're all back this morning. So annoying...

6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Post deleted due to #epicfail

#6 Kadelic, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  7. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

Hi Kadelic,

I am running the latest software 8.1.3 (12B466).

iCloud drive is "on", but I back up my phone to my home PC since I only have the minimum 5GB space.

Backup for icloud is "off". Not sure where the shortcuts could be restoring from.

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Do you have the same shortcuts on another device like a Mac?

9. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

I have an iPod and iPad. Checked them and they do not have the shortcuts (or any shortcuts, actually). Just on my phone.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I just deleted a shortcut and it's gone and should stay gone. Are yours back like in settings?

11. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

Yes...I typed "he" in a text this AM and it auto-filled "hello". I check in settings, keyboards, shortcuts, andthat one along with the others I deleted are back on the list.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I just read elsewhere that "if they reappear to reset network settings. This seems to have helped." This will of course remove WiFi passwords, so make sure you know them.

Also have you tried a hard reset, holding home and lock button down?

#12 MoneyMaker79, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  13. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

Unfortunately, yes...several times.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Other people were having this issue I read, but ios 8.1 fixed it. I'd hate to suggest a restore to factory.

15. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan New Member

If I restore to factory, then I can't use my PC back-up...i.e. type in all my contacts again, etc. ?

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I don't see this as needing a factory restore. That's a last resort. As for contacts, they should still return when you sync. I don't have a PC though.

17. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Never mind. My deleted shortcuts are finally back after an unprecedented time. :mad::confused::cry::confused::mad:

#epicfail #again

#17 Kadelic, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
  18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

"Hope this helps. I got on the phone with an upper level tech with apple. I had the same issue. I would delete shortcuts, reboot the phone, and there they were again. He had me do a hard reboot (hold the home button and the power button down until the apple logo came on and keep holding it until it went off). Then after 15 seconds, I turned the phone back on. Since this, I have been able to successfully delete shortcuts and they do not come back after a reboot. Hopefully the problem is resolved."

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6616661

Then I am seeing people talk about iCloud dictionaries syncing issue.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

A restore as new was the only way I could fix this. The shortcuts I deleted kept coming back. They were a problem using the stock keyboard. Apple first had me reset all settings twice. I had found if I deleted them, then immediately backed up to iCloud, they would stay gone until a reboot. The reboot brought them back. So then I noticed my alarms in the clock app were gone. Should have been after reset all settings. But they continued to go off along with the pop ups. Yet it said "no alarms" in the app. So I restored my phone as new. No more deleted shortcuts coming back. All is well and my phone runs better. (iP 5). I have more storage space as well. It's a lot of hassle to restore as new. But for me, it was worth it.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Restore as new works! It wipes all of the shortcuts away. You start fresh.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)