Keyboard shortcut deletions keep coming back

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 24, 2011
There are some keyboard shortcuts that I don't want (be=because, he=hello, etc.) I manually delete them from the shortcuts section of "keyboards", but I later find that they have been restored to the shortcuts list at a later time (after rebooting?). Why would this be happening, and how can I prevent it from happening again? I like the use of my other shortcuts, so defeating the entire feature is not an option.

Oct 24, 2011
Hi Kadelic,

I am running the latest software 8.1.3 (12B466).

iCloud drive is "on", but I back up my phone to my home PC since I only have the minimum 5GB space.

Backup for icloud is "off". Not sure where the shortcuts could be restoring from.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Yes...I typed "he" in a text this AM and it auto-filled "hello". I check in settings, keyboards, shortcuts, andthat one along with the others I deleted are back on the list.
I just read elsewhere that "if they reappear to reset network settings. This seems to have helped." This will of course remove WiFi passwords, so make sure you know them.

Also have you tried a hard reset, holding home and lock button down?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
"Hope this helps. I got on the phone with an upper level tech with apple. I had the same issue. I would delete shortcuts, reboot the phone, and there they were again. He had me do a hard reboot (hold the home button and the power button down until the apple logo came on and keep holding it until it went off). Then after 15 seconds, I turned the phone back on. Since this, I have been able to successfully delete shortcuts and they do not come back after a reboot. Hopefully the problem is resolved."

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6616661

Then I am seeing people talk about iCloud dictionaries syncing issue.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
A restore as new was the only way I could fix this. The shortcuts I deleted kept coming back. They were a problem using the stock keyboard. Apple first had me reset all settings twice. I had found if I deleted them, then immediately backed up to iCloud, they would stay gone until a reboot. The reboot brought them back. So then I noticed my alarms in the clock app were gone. Should have been after reset all settings. But they continued to go off along with the pop ups. Yet it said "no alarms" in the app. So I restored my phone as new. No more deleted shortcuts coming back. All is well and my phone runs better. (iP 5). I have more storage space as well. It's a lot of hassle to restore as new. But for me, it was worth it.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)