Keypad bogs down?

Jul 13, 2008
Anyone else have this issue, when you first use the iPhone's keypad, the letters pop up just as fast as you can type, then during the course of the day, the letter pop up slower and slower until finally it is so slow you can't stand it and reboot your iPhone?

Any ideas on why?

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Anyone else have this issue, when you first use the iPhone's keypad, the letters pop up just as fast as you can type, then during the course of the day, the letter pop up slower and slower until finally it is so slow you can't stand it and reboot your iPhone?

Any ideas on why?
YES! This actually has been happening to me and idk why it does it either. I am like you I finally get sick of it and turn my phone off and then back on again. :mad:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is one of several bugs in the 2.0 firmware. An update is just around the corner and should address this and other issues.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
It's happening to a lot of people. (Search keyboard lag if you're interested.) I talked to an Apple genius about it when I was exchanging my phone over a different issue; he said he expected it would be corrected in the next update.

Jul 13, 2008
This is one of several bugs in the 2.0 firmware. An update is just around the corner and should address this and other issues.
Thanks D, I would add to your thank count but I dunno how! :p So accept the verbal kind! Thanks!:laugh2:

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
And I thought I just was messing up typing! Will 2.1 fix it?

alterna

Aug 1, 2008
Chicago, IL
the lag is so frustrating at times.

it rarely happens in sms, but frequently in safari.. i think the sites that you visit have something to do with it.

looking forward to the update -.-

Nogard13

Jul 17, 2008
the lag is so frustrating at times.

it rarely happens in sms, but frequently in safari.. i think the sites that you visit have something to do with it.

looking forward to the update -.-
It's the opposite for me. It never happens in Safari but happens quite frequently in SMS and email.

This is how I solved it:

Ok, so it's more of a work-around than a solution. Maybe it just works with my phone, but I suggest you guys give it a try.

Whenever my phone's KB lags, I type a letter, say "A" and then touch the screen so that I get to position the cursor right behind the "A" that I first typed. Now my KB has no lag at all! Once I'm done typing, I move the cursor in front of the "A" and hit backspace (which always lags) and then insert a period. That's it! I typed at normal speed and didn't have lag except for the first "A", deleting that first "A", and the last period. If there is a space between the cursor and the next letter, my KB will lag, so ensure you don't have a space.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
It's the opposite for me. It never happens in Safari but happens quite frequently in SMS and email.

This is how I solved it:

Ok, so it's more of a work-around than a solution. Maybe it just works with my phone, but I suggest you guys give it a try.

Whenever my phone's KB lags, I type a letter, say "A" and then touch the screen so that I get to position the cursor right behind the "A" that I first typed. Now my KB has no lag at all! Once I'm done typing, I move the cursor in front of the "A" and hit backspace (which always lags) and then insert a period. That's it! I typed at normal speed and didn't have lag except for the first "A", deleting that first "A", and the last period. If there is a space between the cursor and the next letter, my KB will lag, so ensure you don't have a space.
Interesting. I'll give that a try the next time I'm lagging. Suggestion though.. if you make the "dummy character" a period, you won't have to go back and delete it. :)

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
hmm interesting...

when my keyboard lags in SMS, i just hit "messages" then go to the home screen. then back to my SMS and it works fine. if that doesn't fix it then the phone needs restarted (which i like to do at least once a day anyway)

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Does anyone know when this update is expected to come?
-Cause I don't wanna be an owner of an iPhone that I've been waiting forever to get...just to have a horrible user experience :(

Nogard13

Jul 17, 2008
Interesting. I'll give that a try the next time I'm lagging. Suggestion though.. if you make the "dummy character" a period, you won't have to go back and delete it. :)
Yeah, but no, lol. I've tried making it a period and it lags. However, if I use another letter, like a, s, v, etc, then it doesn't. I have no clue why, but my phone likes to lag behind the period.

Trust me, I'd though of using the period before so I wouldn't have to go back and change the "A", but it didn't work.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Yeah, but no, lol. I've tried making it a period and it lags. However, if I use another letter, like a, s, v, etc, then it doesn't. I have no clue why, but my phone likes to lag behind the period.

Trust me, I'd though of using the period before so I wouldn't have to go back and change the "A", but it didn't work.
Bummer.

Funny thing, though, I've never been looking forward to the next time I got keyboard lag before. I just want to see if this works for me. I usually just close whatever software I'm having the problem in, then reopen and it's fine.

ratstarwars

Bronze
Jun 8, 2008
hmm interesting...

when my keyboard lags in SMS, i just hit "messages" then go to the home screen. then back to my SMS and it works fine. if that doesn't fix it then the phone needs restarted (which i like to do at least once a day anyway)
Same here....If im in sms and it lags...I
#1 hit the home button
#2 goto sms it should be fine.
#3 if that doesn't work try it again because it always works and that beats restarting it...although theres nothing wrong with restarting either.

"ignore my hobbyist status...Im a zea lot from last years launch"

Jul 18, 2008
Memphis
this is such and annoying issue. and my contacts lag as well. but I am a sucker because I still <3 my iPhone

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
As I am sure everyone know by now the new update is out and should fix this problem.:)
I downloaded the new update for my iPhone and it has not fixed the problem :mad:. Do you know of any other ways to fix it besides restarting or exiting out like a permanent way to fix it?

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I downloaded the new update for my iPhone and it has not fixed the problem :mad:. Do you know of any other ways to fix it besides restarting or exiting out like a permanent way to fix it?
there is no "permanent" way to fix it, because its a recurring bug which hasn't been fixed yet.

just do either of the suggestions in this thread, neither of which waste much time, and they are both fairly good temporary fixes until a software update fixes it.