Keypad defect on iPhone 3G

Pgyal

Feb 26, 2009
The row where number 4,5,6 is located or where C, +-, /, * are located when calculater is opened on my iPhone 3G does not respond when pressed. I have reset all settings, restored to original factory settings, changed the digitizer and LCD + IC, to no avail. Sometimes it works but most times it is non-responsive to touch. Do I have a hardware/software problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Actually I have lost patience and am on the verge of throwing the phone away.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It's most likely a hardware issue and Apple should replace your iPhone. This is not a common problem, but I've heard of it often enough. Just make sure that if your iPhone is jailbroken that you restore to a stock state in iTunes before you take it in to Apple.

Pgyal

Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I did not buy from an authorized seller due to non-existence of such seller in my city. I guess I have to live with this problem and just avoid buying Apple products in future: A lot of hype and potential but prone to irreparable defects through no fault of user.

Next time I will buy Blackberry!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's not a common problem and could just as likely occur on a Blackberry. Apple makes quality products and would gladly replace it. It's just unfortunate you don't live near an Apple store.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I did not buy from an authorized seller due to non-existence of such seller in my city. I guess I have to live with this problem and just avoid buying Apple products in future: A lot of hype and potential but prone to irreparable defects through no fault of user.

How far away from an Apple store do you live? Might be worth a road trip.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

While I am not an Apple Fanboy by any stretch, I gotta stand up for them in this case. If you had bought the phone "legally" ( as in purchased in a country that actually offers the phone and service through an authorized provider) then all you would have to do is contact Apple Support and explain what is happening. Worst case scenario is that you send your phone to them (is a local retailer is not available to you) and they either fix or replace your phone. Their warranty is actually very good for the first year -for those that bought it from either Apple or an authorized retailer carrier store.
And if you already attempted repair and nothing has changed, something else is going on. either way, you knew (or should have known) the risk of buying an electronic gadget that wasn't offered for service in your area.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

I wouldn't say that the iPhone is "prone" to defects at all. I've had an iPhone since the day the first version came out (I have a 3G now) and I've had not one hardware defect.

Ask owners of the Blackberry Storm how that's working out for them. You'll hear horror stories there as well.