Kicking my 20+ oz/day Coke habit.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
With this stuff:

fr_2473_size880.jpeg

(Not my picture, too lazy to take my own).

Finally realized the main thing I liked about Coke was the carbonation, and I really didn't need all that sugar or caffeine. I had tried soda water plenty of times before, but found it too bitter to really enjoy. So this time around I got some flavored (not sweetened) stuff, and forced myself to give it a week. It's been over a month so far, and I don't miss the Coke at all. Once in a while I'll still get coke at a restaurant if they don't have soda water, but that's rare.

Anyway, I highly recommend it to anyone that has been thinking about cutting back on their sugary/artificially sweet soft drinks. If you don't have a Trader Joe's around, Seagrams also makes good flavored seltzer, and most grocery stores in my area have their generic brands that are just fine too.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Good move. We quit soda years ago. On occasion, we'll have some, usually with Chinese food or pizza. For the most part, we drink water. We are far from the healthiest household, just no longer have an desire for soda.

Good luck with the transition. Have you seen that soda maker? Forget the name, but it's always on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, tried the soda stream a couple years ago, but didn't like it. Too much hassle, and the carbonation was never high enough for my taste.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
That's great to hear, man. I stopped drinking Coke a long time ago but mainly because I am diabetic and the sugar and caffeine combination really spikes up my blood sugar level. I had no idea how much sugar and caffeine was in it before I started experimenting and then I decided to quit it altogether. I drink non-alcoholic malt beer occasionally because it doesn't spike my blood sugar level and I really love its taste.

Birell-Bottle-Can-6Pack.jpg

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
A friend of mine at work used the same technique to ween himself off of his sweet tea habit with success. Obviously the carbonation thing wasn't the draw for him, but something with some flavor to it. He is diabetic too.

I have a 2-can-a-day Cherry Coke habit that I've been thinking about trying to kick. This is good inspiration. (y)

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I really hate how companies claim that they actually make 'diet' soda, when in reality it spikes your blood sugar level just as much as regular soda. It's funny because artificial sweeteners are just as bad as sugar when it comes to that.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, beer is what got me off of soda.
For better or worse, I never acquired the taste for beer or even alcohol in general. Not really in any hurry for that to happen.

A friend of mine at work used the same technique to ween himself off of his sweet tea habit with success. Obviously the carbonation thing wasn't the draw for him, but something with some flavor to it. He is diabetic too.

I have a 2-can-a-day Cherry Coke habit that I've been thinking about trying to kick. This is good inspiration. (y)
Seriously, try it. Just give it one week.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've loved soda as long as I can remember. I recall spending about an hour searching for the 12-ounce bottle my mom had hidden from me once when I was about ten years old since she limited my soda intake. Also, when I was a kid, my best friend and I used to discuss what we hoped the future would hold. I remember telling him that I hoped that one day we could turn on the water faucets at our kitchen sinks and soda would come out instead of water. Sigh.

Then I grew up and no longer had anyone there to limit how much soda I drank. At best, I drank one 12-ounce can of Coke a day. I never could completely kick the habit. I've always hated the taste of diet soda, but about two years ago, I let myself get hooked on Coke Zero since it doesn't have that terrible aftertaste of Diet Coke. I doubled my Coke intake since I wasn't concerned with the calories anymore. I know it's worse than the regualar stuff, but I think I used some cognitive dissonance to get past that. My dad refers to it as "poison" and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm drinking four cans a day.

I'm willing to try this for a week. I went to the grocery store late last night, and this was all I could find (I'm going to try it in a few minutes), though now I see that they did have the same stuff Santa posted. I'm going to check another grocery store tonight and see if I can find Trader Joe's or Seagrams.

image.jpg

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Hey Europa - if the carbonation isn't as crucial to you as it is to Hippo you might want to try just water with fresh lemon juice squeezed into it. I haven't drunk soda at all in years (with the exception of an occasional Sprite at a restaurant maybe once in 2-3 months). I just always keep a good stock of lemons in the house and cut a good sized slice and squeeze it into every glass of water throughout the day and night. Ever since I started this habit a couple years ago I drink tons more water every day and really don't crave any other sort of drink.

If the carbonation is a big deal well then ... nevermind, and I'll try to get my avatar to put his hand down.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've had NO soda, artificial sweeteners, or caffeinated beverages for 2 weeks now. :) I'm drinking a little bit of carbonated flavored water and juice, but I'm mostly just drinking water. Mostly.

Thanks for the motivating me, acosmichippo

tumblr_lqrcu01ajM1r036oao1_r1_400.jpg

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've had NO soda, artificial sweeteners, or caffeinated beverages for 2 weeks now. :) I'm drinking a little bit of carbonated flavored water and juice, but I'm mostly just drinking water. Mostly.

Thanks for the motivating me, acosmichippo

View attachment 29480
So you're not a coffee drinker I presume? Having experienced 2 1/2 days without coffee (and food), the pain was brutal.