Kill the iPhone buzz (gsm interference)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Atlanta, huh? Where abouts? We're up in Suwanee.
You're not too far. My Mom lives off exit 11 on 400. I live off 75 in North Buckhead, and work in Kennesaw.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I actually work off exit 11 and 400 (right at the exit, in fact). Hope the ferrite beads work for you.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I work at a recording studio, and this simple fix is going to save us lots of aggravation. I can't believe none of us thought of it before... these things aren't new.

I've taken to turning off my Edge antenna while at work (which isn't a problem because I get everything through wifi). But phone calls still light up the speakers... REALLY loud on one particular set. This is a godsend. Nice find!

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
We use ferrite beads in my wife's recording studio to put on all the mic cables and power supplies. We had a particularly bad buzz from one of the A/C bricks and the beads cleared it up. Here's a source for getting them online if you want:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/235/Ferrites.html
I haven't heard that name in a long time. They used to be about 5 or 6 blocks from me in L.A., but they closed and moved a few miles more than I'm willing to drive. I'm a CB operator and I used to buy items to modify radios. I'm glad to know there's a website. I might start using them again. Kinda miss it. Thanks

EXRN

Oct 4, 2007
What is different about the iPhone compared to the Motorola Q? I didn't experience any interference with the Q. The interference with the iPhone is terrible.

I use a wired headset on my businesss phone and I can't have the iPhone anywhere near me when I'm on that phone. I have also heard it come through the bedroom TV speakers.

Thanks,
David

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
What is different about the iPhone compared to the Motorola Q? I didn't experience any interference with the Q. The interference with the iPhone is terrible.

I use a wired headset on my businesss phone and I can't have the iPhone anywhere near me when I'm on that phone. I have also heard it come through the bedroom TV speakers.

Thanks,
David
Depends on the network for the Q. The iPhone is a GSM network phone.
If the Q is in Verizon or Sprint/Nextel, then it works on the CDMA network, and their devices don't usually generate the buzz the GSM phones do through speakers

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD

Thanks,
David
An answer to your question comes from the following link:

"Reducing audio "buzz" in GSM cell phones: the pulse rate for GSM is within the audio band, and the DC current and RF energy readily convert into an objectionable audio "buzz" within the phone's circuitry."

MOBILE-PHONE DESIGNERS who build to the GSM standard must sufficiently reduce audio "buzz" so that it is inaudible to users. GSM cell phones use a TDMA (time-division multiple-access) time-slot sharing technique that results in high-power RF in the 800/900- or 1800/1900-MHz bands. The transmitter current, which can exceed 1A, pulses during a phone call at a repetition rate of 217 Hz and pulse width of about 0.5 msec. If current pulses couple to the audio circuitry, the harmonic-rich, 217-Hz signal results in an audible buzz."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hbefore804/is_200502/ai_n17524639

wonderboy

Jul 11, 2008
GSM Buzzing Solution

I have found a product that will take care of the gsm interference buzzing. The website is stopthebuzzin.com. Take a look. It really works.

Aug 10, 2008
Another solution for the iPhone Buzz

Here is another buzz solution ...

www.quickbridgesolutions.com

I use it, and it removed the buzzing from my alarm clock, my computer speakers, my car speakers, and even my crappy phone system at work.

I've found that it doesn't remove all of the noise, but at least 90% of it, which is good enough for me.