Killing the sounds in Words With Friends

1. psylichon

psylichon Genius Moderator

Ok, I love the game, but the inability to disable the sounds is annoying to me. The Android version allows this, so perhaps it's coming soon... but we all know how quickly this developer pumps out updates :)rolleyes:), so I want to be proactive and disable them myself.

I find Words is the type of game I try squeeze in any moment I get the chance, and hearing that ascending "boop boop boop boop boop!" is a dead giveaway I'm gaming at work. Even worse, the sounds do not respond to the volume setting of the phone at all, so you must silence your phone... which is what I end up doing. I'm tired of my phone being completely silent all the time just because of this game.

I've SSH'd in, found the folder, and renamed all the .caf files but this causes WWF to crash upon launch. I opened all the plists I could find and didn't see reference to sounds, but I'm not really good at this sort of thing. Anyone have any ideas of what to try or other directories to look in?

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator Moderator

Instead of renaming them, why not overwrite the .caf's with a muted .caf instead?

Simple, yet effective ;)

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. psylichon

Hmm, you're a smart man. Wonder if it even needs to be a real .caf file or just a dummy txt renamed? Off to test.

5. iphonewarrior

You can convert AAC files in iTunes then simply rename them to .caf. Use Voice Memo on the iPhone, record about two seconds of nothing. Email the recording to yourself and drag it into iTunes, convert, rename (a few times, as there are quite a few .caf's in Words) and you're sorted :)

6. psylichon

Oh, I know... I make ringtones all the time. Just trying to make things easier is all. Thanks John... I knew you'd be the one answering this one. :)

7. psylichon

After a lot of trial and error (dummy .caf's, real .caf's, changing ownership, permissions) I think I've sorted it. I finally decided to listen to all the sounds in the Words folder and a few of them I've never heard in the game at all. No idea what they are. So I simply didn't replace those ones, and now it boots up and works fine with my silent sounds. I ended up using the same short, silent .caf renamed for all the sounds... except those odd jobs. Not sure why deleting or replacing those causes the whole game not to work, though...?

8. iphonewarrior

Glad you got it working :)

9. emhcee

emhcee Member Bronze

Any chance you could list the odd jobs to avoid overwriting? Thanks!

What I meant was, which sound files to exclude replacing.

10. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Member Bronze

It would be great if there was a jailbreak customization that would do this automatically, failing that could you provide a few more details steps about how you did this?

Thanks

Craig

11. emhcee

emhcee Member Bronze

Here's what I did. I took an .mp3 file of silence and converted it to a .caf file using iTunes. Then I opened the Words.app using Fetch (you can use the SFTP app of your choice) and downloaded just the sound files to my laptop. Through trial and error, I figured out which sounds I wanted to silence, and then just replaced them individually with the renamed silent.caf file and checked to make sure it didn't crash the application.

The files I silenced are bloop_1fasteq, bloop_2_shuffle, blooptrain_3, click3, gameLost, gameWon (man, did I have to hear that one a lot! :D ), pickup_pop_2 and wordtwinkle2_1.

If interested, I put them on my server and you can grab the silent versions of these files here.

12. Krg222

Krg222 New Member

I think you are over complicating this.... Open up words with friends on your iPhone and simply turn the volume all the way down as you would to change the volume on your ringer. If the app is loaded it will not change your ring volume only the game volume.

13. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

This is an old thread. The game volume was unaffected by the volume controller back then. We had to mute the phone at that time and the OP did not want to have to do that. Even though the app was updated and you can now adjust the volume of the game, you still may want to replace the sound files if you play the game while you're talking on the phone. This is because you still can't mute or decrease the game sounds while you're on a phone call.