Kindle App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps and Games' started by Sonny Burnett, May 24, 2010.

1. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett Member
    Bronze

Does anyone know if the Kindle app has the ability to read to you?

Thanks

2. dcom

dcom Zealot
    Gold

It does not.

3. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett Member
    Bronze

I am disappointed to hear that as a lot of the books that I am looking for are not available in iBooks.

Thanks

4. dcom

dcom Zealot
    Gold

Yeah, that’s a big problem with iBooks. If you only want audiobooks, would Audible.com be a good source for you?

5. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

You may wanna look at audiobooks iPad version in the app store for 99 cents. They have tons of free books but not current stuff. So if you like any old classics check it out.

6. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

I haven't used Audible on my iPad, but I love it on my iPod. They download into my iTunes. It would be a simple move to take them into your iPad. They have a huge library. Also, they have some new user promotions. You might be able to download a free book to get a feeling for whether or not it is a good thing. I have a library of 100 audio books on my external hard drive. For 30$ a month, I can download 2 new books each month. After a while I go back to old ones when I don't remember them well. The older I get, the sooner that happens. I listen to them every day when I run.

7. iiPaDFooT

iiPaDFooT Member
    Bronze

Does anyone use the Kindle app for iPad? I'm trying to decide between getting an ACTUAL Kindle or getting an iPad and just downloading the Kindle app. But I need someone who actually uses Kindle for iPad to answer a question.

With an actual Kindle, I can convert my ebooks that I download on the computer, into .mobi or .prc, and transfer them to the Kindle and they'll be readable. Right now, I use Kindle for iPhone while I'm deciding. I can only read actual books I buy/download from the Kindle store. Theres no way to transfer the books I download onto my mac to the iPhone and have it open in the Kindle app, even though they're the right format. Is it the same with the iPad? I know there's plenty of eReader apps for the iPad but I'd rather keep my whole collection in the same app instead of having to use two different ones. One of the main reasons I'm considering the iPad instead of just going with the Kindle is because I wanna start reading comics as well. The closest comic book store to me is like 45 minutes away, not worth the drive to pick up a $4 comic, so by getting an iPad I get my Kindle + Comic reader all in the same device. So if anyone could let me know if I could put my own ebooks into the Kindle App, it'd really help me out.

8. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

I use the Kindle app on my iPhone, but I do not think you are going to see anything different than you get on your iPhone. That said... Overdrive has come out with an app that allows you to download ePUB format to your iPad or iPhone... Still waiting for the ability to download PDF books but I am hoping that will be coming soon. I am happy enough to be able to download library books in the ePUB format. I am not sure if there are any other conversion programs that will allow you to do what you want, but I do love reading on my iPad.

9. iiPaDFooT

iiPaDFooT Member
    Bronze

The thing is, I actually buy books from Amazon as well. Which can ONLY be opened up in the Kindle apps. I'm trying to avoid reading my bought books in one app and my downloaded books in another app =/ Then I'm gonna have 2 eReaders and an eComic app that I have to switch back and forth through. I'd rather it just be one and one. I guess I have a lot more research to do before making a purchase. My Macbooks kinda crapping out on me lately, so I was trying to decide if I should just replace it with an iPad, or if I should buy a Kindle and an iMac.

10. neochuck

neochuck New Member
    Bronze

I use Stanza for my readings, so I don't know the correct answer to your question, but look what I've found in an Amazon page:

"Content purchased from the Kindle Store can be downloaded to your Kindle, iPhone, or iPod touch as long as you've registered the device to the Amazon.com account that purchased the Kindle content. There is no limit on the number of times a title can be downloaded to a registered device, but there may be limits on the number of devices (usually 6) that can simultaneously use a single book.

That means you can download and read your books on any Kindle device you own as long you've registered each device to the Amazon.com account where your Kindle library is stored."​

On the other hand, have you read this article?: "Using Kindle for iPad/iPhone/iPod touch".

Good luck!

11. jaj324

jaj324 New Member

I gave my daughter a Kindle for Christmas and I also have the Kindle app on my iPad. In my opinion the iPad is a much better eReader than the Kindle......except for the batt life. The iPad will never match the Kindle there.

12. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I read Kindle books on my iPad often. I think that the iPad is an awesome ebook reader, although I've never used a Kindle device, so I can't compare the two.

13. sl0ppyshat

sl0ppyshat Member
    Bronze

I have both a kindle and an iPad. I prefer reading books on my kindle since the eInk does not strain my eyes. I only use the kindle app when my kindle is not available.

14. Isadora

Isadora New Member

Yeah I have kindle for my ipad and love the fact I can have several books. I've been told by friends who had the kindle device and now have an ipad too that the kindle device is easier on the eyes.

15. aknightstale41

Gold

i prefer the kindle app on my ipad to ibooks for one reason, amazon has 400,000 titles and ibooks had 60,000....i usually don't find the book i want in ibooks, and if i do then its almost double the price.

16. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I'm with you. I've found myself not even looking on iBooks anymore, I go straight to kindle. I wonder if iBooks will ever be able to thrive when they can't compete on price or selection?

17. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Audiobooks and iPhone or iPods whichever
    I love iPod video a LOT for audiobooks:)

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

18. peggyramosd

peggyramosd New Member

19. AndytheClown

AndytheClown Member
    Bronze

Is there not an app that reads out an .epub file then?