Kindle Fire vs Nook Tablet

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Fellow iOS lovers, sometimes we have to take our heads out of Siri's virtual butt and acknowledge there are other devices out there. (i kid i kid)

My boss is asking my opinion about Nook vs K-Fire. After looking at both they're both really solid devices, with a major downfall lack of 3G.

What do you guys think? Really I want to tell her "Lady, you're a doctor (PharmD) just lay out those bills for an iPad and live happily ever after." Hell she just got Siri yesterday you'd think she'd know she'll be most satisfied with an iPad

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
I have a Kindle 3g, which i loved, until i got my iPad . So if she really just wants something that small, i'd vote for the new Kindle fire because i had a good experience with the Kindle. I haven't used my Kindle in months, i just read everything on my iPad or MBP or iPhone -love that it all syncs up to the last page read on any device.
Have her read some reviews and see what features she really thinks are the most important.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57330571-251/kindle-fire-vs-nook- tablet-how-to-choose/

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/column...nook-amazon-kindle-fire-comparison/51224068/1

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/ipad-2-vs-kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet-specs-showdown-20111114/

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
After much research, a friend of mine just got the new Nook tablet and he really likes it. He compared them both, but bought it, because he said it's less glitchy.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Neither one met my standards for web browsing. The fire is to bright to read with at night(Software should fix this)

I would just recommend the $79 Kindle until the next version. I'll stick with a laptop for everything else.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
E-readers should be e-readers not tablets and they definitely shouldn't try to be iPad killers. The market is already flooded with crap devices. I don't think either of those are, but Barnes and nobles is a book store stick to books, amazon is... I'm not sure what it is, but they're good at it.

I think for what my boss is trying to do, she needs a tablet, and I, of course, am bias to one in particular.

As far as e readers the non color kindle or nook have the advantage over an iPad.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I have a Kindle 3g, which i loved, until i got my iPad . So if she really just wants something that small, i'd vote for the new Kindle fire because i had a good experience with the Kindle. I haven't used my Kindle in months, i just read everything on my iPad or MBP or iPhone -love that it all syncs up to the last page read on any device.
Have her read some reviews and see what features she really thinks are the most important.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57330571-251/kindle-fire-vs-nook- tablet-how-to-choose/

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/column...nook-amazon-kindle-fire-comparison/51224068/1

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/ipad-2-vs-kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet-specs-showdown-20111114/

Thanks those links have lots of info

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Neither one met my standards for web browsing. The fire is to bright to read with at night(Software should fix this)

I would just recommend the $79 Kindle until the next version. I'll stick with a laptop for everything else.
The only problem i had with the Kindle is that it's not backlit, so i bought a little clip on light. I don't think i'd web browse with a Kindle fire or a Nook, they are just E-readers to me.

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
Having all three lol I love them all! (but nook is my e ink not tablet) however my cousin has the nook color which is similar.

My fav is the iPad..iOS is the best IMO and w Kyle iPhone I love how everything is Always there.
I am LOving what amazon is doing they are HUGE! Amazon is ALLL about retail And you truly can buy anything on amazon lol!
I read heavy and for reading now I like the nook touch and kindle fire, I read on the iPad when I have it instead.
I love gadgets Amd my husband thinks I went a bit nuts over them ;-)
But each device is a learning experience !

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

TheJustPull

Bronze
Oct 12, 2011
I'm also trying to choose between the fire and iPad, I want something bigger then my phone but don't wanna always have to have my laptop with me. The problem with getting the kindle for me i see would be buying apps on multiple platforms, if I got the iPad all my apps would be on one. I'm concerned about battery life as well, I feel I would mostly use them late at night when my phone screen has simply gotten too small and i wouldn't want to get my laptop out in bed, I also see myself taking it to hr gym as I do a lot of browsing on my phone currently while I'm on the treadmill.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Fellow iOS lovers, sometimes we have to take our heads out of Siri's virtual butt and acknowledge there are other devices out there. (i kid i kid)

My boss is asking my opinion about Nook vs K-Fire. After looking at both they're both really solid devices, with a major downfall lack of 3G.

What do you guys think? Really I want to tell her "Lady, you're a doctor (PharmD) just lay out those bills for an iPad and live happily ever after." Hell she just got Siri yesterday you'd think she'd know she'll be most satisfied with an iPad
I'd recommend waiting for the iPad 3 announcement before making a decision. It should be soon.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
The only problem i had with the Kindle is that it's not backlit, so i bought a little clip on light. I don't think i'd web browse with a Kindle fire or a Nook, they are just E-readers to me.
FYI, the OP isn't talking about the e-ink readers. Both the Fire and N-Tab are backlit and are tablets less the cameras and GSM options.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I'm also trying to choose between the fire and iPad, I want something bigger then my phone but don't wanna always have to have my laptop with me. The problem with getting the kindle for me i see would be buying apps on multiple platforms, if I got the iPad all my apps would be on one. I'm concerned about battery life as well, I feel I would mostly use them late at night when my phone screen has simply gotten too small and i wouldn't want to get my laptop out in bed, I also see myself taking it to hr gym as I do a lot of browsing on my phone currently while I'm on the treadmill.
If you're doing more browsing than reading I say iPad. I read and browse while in the gym but it gets aggravating trying to read with the terrible glare the iPad presents. If you already have an iPhone you've already given iTunes a good bit of your money so having to buy apps again would suck.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
My boss still hasn't made a purchase but I think ultimately she knows what she wants but doesn't want to shell out the money and wants to be convinced settling on a kindle would suffice.

I can't sell her on a Kindle while showing her the specs of both on my pretty, shiny iPad 2. ;)

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
Kindle fire has a lot of lag and loading, not sure about the nook, but I was looking at YouTube review videos of the Fire and it was just typical Android device for me. There were slight delays in the UI when you scroll along text, press buttons and when it just seems that everything running in the background seems too much for the kindle fire. I'm not sure it was either the over glorified user interface amazon has implemented or just hardware specs not justifying the multitasking. Really didn't impress.

I've heard only good things about nook so I would do more searching on that specific device as the fire doesn't majorly impress me. Of course if you could push your boss into an iPad 3, it would be even better, the iPad 2 is such a nice device, I really can't argue how nice it really is, and I'm sure 3 won't disappoint. (fan mode over)

TheJustPull

Bronze
Oct 12, 2011
If you're doing more browsing than reading I say iPad. I read and browse while in the gym but it gets aggravating trying to read with the terrible glare the iPad presents. If you already have an iPhone you've already given iTunes a good bit of your money so having to buy apps again would suck.
probably will be doing more browsing then reading, as I prefer the actual books when i read

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I do like being able to take my iPad into the gym read a book while I'm on the bike (easier to read on bike) then just switch to listening to music while on treadmill. And when I'm feeling "fancy" using my BT with my iPad when lifting weights. I am watching my iPad like a hawk but I do walk away from it and get a lot done.