Labyrinth 1.0 update today (note: stick with the old one)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Labyrinth was the coolest game for the iPhone. keyword: was. I couldn't get over how smooth it was. Sure it flickered and the ball would sometimes shoot through a wall, but it was a great tool to show off your iPhone and it kept a lot of my friends busy for awhile. Plus you could develop levels very easily, with a simple java program, and it was even super duper double looper easy to write your own level in wordpad, or even right on your iPhone with TextEdit! And if you had trouble with a level, or it was too boring, you could flick your finger and slide to the next level.

We were eagerly waiting for an update that would fix the flashing and ball going through wall problem. Someone mentioned a timer. I didn't really care about that, but figured it might make for a more challenging game if it was optional. There was talk of a level editor ON the iPhone. And maybe a repository online where people could share their levels. There was a lot of potential. Why I was working on my own level, by hand, block by block, hole by hole on the iPhone itself. You could add some neat "tricks" if you hard coded the levels.

Anyway, we all applauded the developer, who mysteriously took his name off of the new one. I wonder why. I guess he didn't want his name attached to greed. See, he took development the other way, to make a buck instead of making it real cool. Sure, it looks more polished. Well, it would have to be to warrant seven bucks. While they made it look a hair slicker, the ball doesn't move as smoothly as before. Maybe it's supposed to follow the grain of the wood or something. Well, I don't like it. We should be able to change that. They also added the timer. You can't turn it off. I hate that, with a passion. How am I supposed to show off the phone to my new friends that aren't familiar with the sensitivity of the iPhone interface if they only have 35 seconds to finish a level! We should be able to switch it off. You can no longer flick to get to the next level. You have to pass the level before you can flick past it. Again, hate it. It's got all the markings of a closed program, full of limitations added by the developer instead of openness. I wonder if you can even still edit levels!

They did add a calibration feature, which is kind of cool, (would be better suited to the level app, but whatever. It's at least proof of concept that the people that made the level apps could add it later on.) Anyway, about the calibration, you still can't play it lying on your back (one of the directions is backwards) or with the iPhone facing up, so it's usefulness is questionable.

I don't know what happens when you pay the $7. Maybe some of these things get unlocked. The website doesn't list the improvements so hopefully they'll fix that soon.

In the end, if you have labyrinth already installed, don't upgrade. At least until they tell you what you get from it. Maybe someone else is willing to shell out the $7. I'll be looking to downgrade mine.

Am I horribly upset that he's charging $7, when it was free before? Not really. Guys got to get paid and apparantly the donations weren't coming in. What I am upset about though is that this one is so controlling. And the old version was better, and it's going to be a real pain for me to get it back. I was working on a killer level.

EDIT:
Ok, I just looked at the Labyrinth folder in finder on my iPhone. None of the levels are there anymore.

This sux.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Labyrinth was the coolest game for the iPhone. keyword: was. I couldn't get over how smooth it was. Sure it flickered and the ball would sometimes shoot through a wall, but it was a great tool to show off your iPhone and it kept a lot of my friends busy for awhile. Plus you could develop levels very easily, with a simple java program, and it was even super duper double looper easy to write your own level in wordpad, or even right on your iPhone with TextEdit! And if you had trouble with a level, or it was too boring, you could flick your finger and slide to the next level.

We were eagerly waiting for an update that would fix the flashing and ball going through wall problem. Someone mentioned a timer. I didn't really care about that, but figured it might make for a more challenging game if it was optional. There was talk of a level editor ON the iPhone. And maybe a repository online where people could share their levels. There was a lot of potential. Why I was working on my own level, by hand, block by block, hole by hole on the iPhone itself. You could add some neat "tricks" if you hard coded the levels.

Anyway, we all applauded the developer, who mysteriously took his name off of the new one. I wonder why. I guess he didn't want his name attached to greed. See, he took development the other way, to make a buck instead of making it real cool. Sure, it looks more polished. Well, it would have to be to warrant seven bucks. While they made it look a hair slicker, the ball doesn't move as smoothly as before. Maybe it's supposed to follow the grain of the wood or something. Well, I don't like it. We should be able to change that. They also added the timer. You can't turn it off. I hate that, with a passion. How am I supposed to show off the phone to my new friends that aren't familiar with the sensitivity of the iPhone interface if they only have 35 seconds to finish a level! We should be able to switch it off. You can no longer flick to get to the next level. You have to pass the level before you can flick past it. Again, hate it. It's got all the markings of a closed program, full of limitations added by the developer instead of openness. I wonder if you can even still edit levels!

They did add a calibration feature, which is kind of cool, (would be better suited to the level app, but whatever. It's at least proof of concept that the people that made the level apps could add it later on.) Anyway, about the calibration, you still can't play it lying on your back (one of the directions is backwards) or with the iPhone facing up, so it's usefulness is questionable.

I don't know what happens when you pay the $7. Maybe some of these things get unlocked. The website doesn't list the improvements so hopefully they'll fix that soon.

In the end, if you have labyrinth already installed, don't upgrade. At least until they tell you what you get from it. Maybe someone else is willing to shell out the $7. I'll be looking to downgrade mine.

Am I horribly upset that he's charging $7, when it was free before? Not really. Guys got to get paid and apparantly the donations weren't coming in. What I am upset about though is that this one is so controlling. And the old version was better, and it's going to be a real pain for me to get it back. I was working on a killer level.

EDIT:
Ok, I just looked at the Labyrinth folder in finder on my iPhone. None of the levels are there anymore.

This sux.
Wow I really wish I would have read this before I updated. Where can we download the older version?

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Wow I really wish I would have read this before I updated. Where can we download the older version?
Tell me about it, I was excited about the apgrade till I try it.. Sux, it really does...while it does look much slicker and neat it just is not nice to play like it was before...

How or where do we get the old original version?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
ATTENTION to those who haven't upgraded Labyrinth to 1.0: Please help us by SSHing into your phone, finding the Labyrinth directory, copying it to your computer, zipping it, and posting it here for us who are suffering for upgrading. Thank you!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I have absolutely no problem with paying for a good piece of software but releasing the update through installer without any notice that the update would change the free version to a timed and demo-only (unless purchased) version was wrong in my opinion.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I've never installed a program with a PXL, I always use Installer or just download the source, put it in the Applications folder and change the permissions to 0755. Don't you need iBrickr to install PXLs and doesn't iBrickr not work on 1.1.2?
If iBrickr isn't working for you, you can still install PXL files a number of ways.

1. Rename the pxl file to .zip and extract it. Once you do, you'll see a folder called "app", icon.png and PxlPkg.plist (you can ignore icon.png and PxlPkg.plist ). Inside the app folder is Labyrinth.app. Just install manually, as usual.

2. Install PXL MobileSafari Plugin. This will allow you to download and install any PXL packages from any website. However, I think PXL MobileSafari Plugin is only available on iBrickr, so I guess you'd need to follow option #1 anyway.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Whew! What a relief! I'm back in businesss.

I was afraid I'd have to unzip the pxl and load the files one by one with the sendspace ishare app.

The PXL MobileSafari Plugin works great with the ibrickr website to restore the program. I am up to 1.1.2 by the way. iBrickr works great for me.

More detailed iBrickr instructions for the noob/1.1.2 doubting Thomases:
Get the PXL MobileSafari Plugin from installer
pay pxl.ibrickr.com a visit on your iPhone
Browse to All (don't know why Labyrinth isn't listed in Games) :rolleyes:
Find Labyrinth* and wait for the 'install now' button and click it.

The version on ibrickr is 0.4.0.
Is that the latest pre-1.0 version?

*Darnit. I tried providing direct links but they didn't work.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Here's the defense the author has taken for making it cost money now:

Hi everyone,

I appreciate all the feedback from all of you on Labyrinth and the launch of the 1.0 version.

This is the first commercial game that I have released and I have worked really hard to try and create something nice, but its hard to get everything right the first time. As I have explained earlier, the reason for charging for Labyrinth is that I want to be able to prioritize it over my other obligations. As I have my own company other projects I have to work on to bring in money. If I can earn some money from Labyrinth I can spend more time developing it. As much as I would like to be independent of an income, I am not...

I am sorry that some of you feel cheated. It was certainly not my intention! I have tried to be open about that Labyrinth will become a commercial game on this forum and others. In retrospect, I agree that it would have been good to add a message on the installer that there is now an option to buy the full game. I have asked Ste handles the distribution to change the message to "The classic wooden labyrinth game - Demo.". This was honestly not something that crossed my mind.

Also, as you can see in the FAQ for the game, if you really want to contribute and make a nice level pack for Labyrinth, I will give you a free license.

Sincerely,
Carl Loodberg
I'm not so mad anymore, but I definitely want the older version still.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I was not mad about him charging for the product. He, as a developer, has earned the right to be paid for his time and effort and the product is well worth the money. The problem I had with the whole thing was that there was no notification on the latest release warning people that installing this version would render the program into a demo version of the product. If he had put something like that on the install screen then it is optional for the end users on whether they want the enhancements this release offers or wish to continue using the flickering beta version of the product.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
WOW, i just reinstalled it from ibrickr and i don't have a flicker anymore :-x, but yes i agree he should have said that the new version was to be paid for. I think he shouldnt have even released the new one considering everyone can just get the older, and in my opinion better app.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I have absolutely no problem with paying for a good piece of software but releasing the update through installer without any notice that the update would change the free version to a timed and demo-only (unless purchased) version was wrong in my opinion.
If you click on more info within installer, it does mention that "buying" will unlock features and such. I knew they had made it a paid program before updating... Maybe I'm just weird, but I ALWAYS click on more info before updating. This saved me from the inbetween customize that didn't have the ability to hide icons.