Ladies and gents..the mini reviews are rolling in!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dre180, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

2. ClarkKent724

ClarkKent724 Member
    Bronze

And so are the unboxing videos! Slashgear already has put up a couple videos on Youtube.

3. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

A lot of good things being said about the mini. Actually surprisingly so, with the biggest downside from most being the screen. No definitive opinion though. Some people don't seem too bothered while others think its a big deal. Which doesn't help me bc that's my question. Guess ill have to see when Friday gets here...

4. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

That is my biggest concern too. Although I might be willing to sacrifice for the lightness of it. We'll see as I'm getting one on Friday.

5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The Verge review where they show closeups of the screen -v- retina is pretty telling...

Overall it looks like a nice device but I have become spoiled with retina and don't think I can go back to a non retina device..

It is kind of like how HDTV has made SDTV look bad... I can't even watch SD channels anymore on my TV..

6. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I agree with this100%. If you compare to iPad1/2, no biggie. But the crispness of the retina display is amazing.

I recently put on antiglare screen protector on my iPad3. When view on it and then my iPhone 5, I was like wow. That is a huge difference. Now, I ripped off the screen protector and my iPad3is naked and I live with glare.

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Agreed!

8. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

They could have put a retina display in it. But then if they did they would have to be more creative with the iPad mini 2.

9. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Exactly. I will wait till then. Lol

10. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

It will be the iPad mini. Then the iPad mini with retina display and new chip and maybe new cameras.

11. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Exactly they won't make incremental changes that will bring the product to where it should be right now. I think it will be an absolute winner
    At that point having a mini and iPad would be perfect combo

12. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

The lack of retina is certainly disappointing, there is no doubt. But IMO the weight and size of the reg iPad is also a major drawback to me when using it for an extended period of time, especially in bed or on the couch. Frankly, It becomes tiresome. It's exactly why i haven't got one to this point. It's a trade off. If I can live with the resolution everything else about the iPad mini says I will like it more for my needs. I think they both have their uses and will continue to dominate the competition!

13. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

The mini is a nice product. The just prefer the sharper screen. I can't wait. I would never suggest it is not worth getting. For me waiting is worthwhile.
    The smaller form factor looks great and a huge plus.

14. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

Absolutely agree with you. completely valid points. I'm not knocking the larger iPad. It's a fantastic product. One that I have no idea how i've held out on buying!

15. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

All the reviews I've read make me want to get one.

Do they have them in the Apple stores to play with at this time? Anybody know? I may drive over there tomorrow if they have them on display.

16. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Decided to just call the Apple store. No mini's on display until this Friday!

Think I'll steer clear of that joint for a week or so.

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm torn in my opinion, part of me feels Apple omitted the retina display in order to save cost and test demand for the mini, after v1 they would have an easy 2 gen by adding retina and A6, maybe better cameras, on the other hand, I could have been a question of retina display availability, iPhone 4,4S,5,"The New iPad",iPad 4 all use retina, so it may be a question of the displays just not being able to be produced fast enough. Thoughts?

18. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I wonder about that too. But a smaller retina display would have higher yields.
    I not sure how difficult it is to produce these panels but I would bet if Apple wanted them, then would have been available.

19. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Apple usually does not raise the price when a newer gen come out so my guess is the $329 pricing was set looking forward to the next mini release that will probably have a retina and an A6 processor..

They figured they would sell millions of 1st gen mini's just based on it's size and based on it being a new product. Had they priced it less then the next gen would have to see a price increase and that is a big no-no with Apple..

If the mini gets a retina next year then I will probably buy one...

My .02

20. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'll be passing this gen, I may get the next gen. Right now I can't justify another idevice.