Lag on iPad mini retina

Aug 1, 2007
I've never owned an iPad before so I'm not entirely sure if it's normal compared to an iPhone. Was wondering if the slight choppiness when switching apps, viewing pics in the App Store, on tumblr, scrolling through certain apps, and other general tasks is normal? This never happened on my 5 or 5s often, but I know the same 5S processor is pushing 2-3 times the pixels.

Sent from my iPad Retina using iCafe Forums

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have an iPad mini retina and the only place I've noticed lag is when I'm selecting and applying HD wallpapers.

Have you tried a hard reset?

Aug 1, 2007
Yeah. I did a hard reset and reset normally a few times. Probably the picky Apple fanboy in me coming out.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah. I did a hard reset and reset normally a few times. Probably the picky Apple fanboy in me coming out.
I don't use my iPad mini 2 very
often, but the lag I had when changing wallpapers was pretty extreme - far worse than anything I had ever experienced on any iDevice. It's puzzling since it's a brand new model with good specs. I noticed it just a day or two after I bought it. 7.1 might fix it.

Aug 1, 2007
That's strange.. I'm very glad to hear it's not just me then. The lag on Tumblr is usually in my messages, it's bad. but not to where I can't use it. The lag is noticeable the most in the app store, and on certain apps for a few seconds at a time. Sometimes when app switching, though i haven't noticed that as often after the hard reset.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've had lag on my iPad 2 since iOS 7. Now I have an iPad 4 from work and it's fine.
This thread is about the mini iPad Retina lag problem. It's almost certainly software-related since it's new hardware. I'm guessing that 7.1 will fix it.

Aug 1, 2007
You notice it isn't nearly as snappy as your 5/5s Europa?

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Sometimes if my wifi gets a little kinky I'll notice a little lag sometimes too. For me I've really noticed that my iPad Mini is really snappy and like never skips a beat for me.

I would expect it to maybe sometimes not be as quick as my iPhone 5 cause I have a constantly strong 4G signal in my area.

Aug 1, 2007
Oh it's snappy, just notice it isn't as smooth. It gets slightly laggy and stutters for a few seconds. Particularly in my tumblr messages, opening pictures up in the App Store and after opening them up, minimizing them. Also, I noticed a lot of lag in Maps as well with hybrid/unanimated view. My wifi is 100mbps and I'm getting a very good signal.