lame.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
so my father said I have to sell my iPhone.

yes, unfortunately, this means I must renounce my status as Unlocker, and switch to a phone without WiFi, a touch screen, and no fun at all.

I have chosen the Nokia 5610 as my replacement.

Tomorrow, I'm shipping my phone to it's buyer ($450) and going to go get the 5610.

I hate this hate it hate it!

I don't know what I'm going to do!
:mad::mad:

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
because he deemed it necessary, because "I spend too much time working on it"

Last edited by a moderator:

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Sounds like it's already a done deal, but I'm really sorry. Did it come out of the blue or did you have an opportunity to modify your "behavior" to be more compliant with his wishes?

I know being a teenager sucks sometimes; I remember it well. My parents were EXTREMELY unreasonable, so I work really hard to be different from them. Unfortunately, being the parent also kinda sucks. It's more difficult than I ever would have imagined and sometimes I lose it and say or do things I know aren't for the best. I try to learn from my mistakes so I'll make better decisions in the future... but, ultimately, I'm human and I'm never going to be perfect.

I hope you and your dad can get through this okay..

-Christine

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
does he forsee you spending LESS time "working on" the nokia?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
does he forsee you spending LESS time "working on" the nokia?
I'm going to guess that hacking a Nokia isn't nearly as much fun or purposeful than jailbreaking/unlocking an iPhone.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
It just occurred to me that just because *this* phone is sold doesn't make it over and done with. It's not like they've stopped selling them.

Seems the problem must be that your dad doesn't see any value in what you are doing. I have no idea how old he is, what he does for a living or his academic background, but assume those things are contributing to his perspective. Do you have a teacher, once you get back to school, who might be willing to help make a case for the educational value in the work you've done? I'm thinking it would be especially helpful if it were a computer science, math, or science teacher, but probably anyone articulate who knows you and has seen evidence of the development of your problem-solving skills could make a good case.

If you can get that kind of support, maybe you can get a new iPhone if you agree to some set "reasonable" amount of time to spend working on it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Wow that is ridiculously stupid. That sucks.
I'm being a devil's advocate here, I know, but being a father myself, perhaps his father has valid reasons for his decision. I've seen people spend inordinate amounts of time on "obsessions" that keep them from anything else in their daily lives. Perhaps this is what this particular father sees, I don't know.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
If I was a Dad, I wouldn't pay my kid's iPhone bill.
no way. I am not sure if your Dad pays for yours, but if he does, I guess he has the right to tell you what you can and can't have.

Then again, by the time my kid is a teenager, there is going to be something 800x cooler than the 3G. I only wonder what will come of these things. Regardless...Prepaid is the route I would go with a kid....I couldn't trust they would break the phone, or run up the bill on me. My parents gave me a car phone....use for emergencies only. I never used it for personal use (only to let them know where I was if I was running late coming home). I did pay for a pager for a brief amount of time when I was 17-18. Then, I joined spring in 98 for my first phone. I paid the bills for that going forward.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm really bummed to hear about this Sam.... but I doubt it will be forever. Perhaps you do think about the iPhone a bit too much (I know I do). A bit of perspective never hurts.

Unless it's with a Nokia. Sorry bout that... ;)

But seriously, I doubt it will be long before you're back here with the next iPhone. Don't be a stranger.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
if my dad told me something like that when i was a teen
i would just look at him like he was crazy
and go back to what i was doing

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
if my dad told me something like that when i was a teen
i would just look at him like he was crazy
and go back to what i was doing
Did your dad pay your phone bill?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Sam...I have no doubt you'll return in time. Something about that Nokia in your signature just doesn't sit right with me (and I'm sure you).:sick:

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
is it possible that he looked into your eic history and saw something he didn't like? If he's reading this hopefully he sees how many friends you've made and how helpful you've been to many of us. Whatever the case, we've all made mistakes and paid dearly. Good luck, Sam.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
We have a tmobile family plan.

we have
fave5 numbers (unlim. to 5 numbers)
unlimited T-Mobile to T-Mobile
unlimited N&W
unlimited texting.
4 lines
I have no edge plan. and I can use it even if I wanted to, it's turned off by default.
can't buy games for an iPhone

$120/month

it's been 120 since before I got my iPhone (had a Nokia 5610) and it was $120 during the time, and it is still $120.

there is a bright side.

he's getting me a laptop, and I'll make it into a hackintosh.
also, I will have money for an Ibanez guitar.

and an amp.

I'm still not exactly happy about this.
I sell it, the money goes to me, because I bought it.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
sorry about the iPhone but a new ibanez will be tight and i had my laptop hackintoshed? before so good luck with that

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Sorry Sam! Every kid has things they will spend a lot of time on. I guess your dad thinks you should spend more time doing something else.

However, I know teens your age can no longer really be controlled by parents, only guided. I think if you love hacking your iPhone you will find your way back.