landscape keyboard?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
does anyone know if the iPhone will go to landscape mode if turned while typing an email? It seems like this would allow for a much bigger "keyboard".

K
This has never been displayed in any demo or commercial. I think if it were possible, they would certainly be showing it off.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
This has never been displayed in any demo or commercial. I think if it were possible, they would certainly be showing it off.
Hold the faith, just like everything else, no one really has any idea...

You know the bad thing about all this hush hush sillyness? Along with all the rumors and such, people are also building up their own personal "expectations" of this phone... when it comes out and everyone's disappointed because all their expectations (that were allowed to grow larger and large by the complete information blackout) are not met, there's a good possibility for a lot of people returning the phone. I know if this thing is allowed to stay a mystery this whole time, and I get it, and it doesn't blow my socks off, it's going right back to the store. lol

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I am not sure this is a good argument. I am sure the iPhone has features that have not been in any demo or commercial. Apple is famous for their little surprises.

The only reason I can see for them not to implement a keyboard in landscape mode is that it would take up too much screen space. IOW, when the keyboard was visible, there wouldn't be enough screen space remaining to show anything useful.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I am not sure this is a good argument. I am sure the iPhone has features that have not been in any demo or commercial. Apple is famous for their little surprises.

The only reason I can see for them not to implement a keyboard in landscape mode is that it would take up too much screen space. IOW, when the keyboard was visible, there wouldn't be enough screen space remaining to show anything useful.
You've never seen any demo that required number buttons in landscape. Think about it. No landscape demo of a call being made. No landscape demo of the number keypad.

I might be surprised, but I think they would advertise it if it were an option.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
You've never seen any demo that required number buttons in landscape. Think about it. No landscape demo of a call being made. No landscape demo of the number keypad.

I might be surprised, but I think they would advertise it if it were an option.
I agree that there is a good chance that there will not be a landscape keyboard. I was just pointing out that because a feature has not been demoed does not mean that it is not present. Like many small features, I don't think it is important enough to advertise it.

If all the features of the iPhone have been demoed, I will be a little disappointed. If that is the case though, I can take some solace in the fact that new software based features can be added in the future.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
What if you are viewing a webpage in landscape mode and then click in a form field... What then.

Who knows until its released.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
the beauty of the iPhone/iTunes, hardware/software relationship is that even if there isn't a landscape keyboard, there sure as hell can be one with some sort of download or firmware update....and *boom* there's your landscape keyboard.

Boyscout47

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
What if you are viewing a webpage in landscape mode and then click in a form field... What then.

Who knows until its released.
I think in landscape mode it just reads your thoughts.:p

I am glad this questions was asked. I have wondered that since the beginning. I would think that there would be. It makes sense to not have to flip it when you wanted to type. Plus I think that maybe having extra space to type would help people. I know WM5 does have a landscape keyboard and they don't advertise it. Most likely cause there is always a hard keyboard but still.