Landscape mode.

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by Fantomas318 ツ, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Hello there!
    Is it possible to fix apps that doesn't support landscape mode, so that they can support it?

If so, how can I do it?

//Thanks in advance.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I read to maybe take it to the Genius Bar to see if anything is wrong with the iPhone.

"Is your rotation lock on? Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to bring up the Control Panel, and check to see if the Rotation Lock (on the far right at the top) is white. If it is, the lock is on. Tap the icon to turn it off."

#2 MoneyMaker79, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The OP is asking about apps that don't support landscape mode. There's nothing wrong with his iPhone as he explains it.

#3 Napoleon PhoneApart, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

RIF.jpg

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I did read. I tried my best but did not provide the proper information if any is out there.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Please don't reply if you don't understand the question. You end up providing misinformation and causing confusion. You don't have to reply to every question. I don't know the answer to everything and I don't reply if I don't know.

7. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Back to the original question, I have some apps on my phone that only work in portrait mode and want to have them change to landscape mode. Is there an app that will do this or is it a jailbreak mod?

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

As a general rule, apps that operate solely in portrait mode are formatted that way. If you were able to somehow show them in landscape mode, you'd have this skinny little app in the middle of the screen.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. Unless they are formatted and designed with graphics for each mode, it would be pointless because it would be small and wouldn't look right. Trying to use a skinny app in the middle of the screen after somehow forcing it into a mode it wasn't designed for would be frustrating.

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

This raises the question as to why don't app developers format their apps for both modes. I certainly see why a picture app would be formatted for portrait and landscape, but there are a lot of games that are designed for portrait mode. It is frustrating because you lose a lot of screen estate. I know I'm venting. As a person who is downloading apps frequently, I don't like to be constrained to one view only.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How do you lose screen real estate? The screen size is the same regardless of how it's oriented. They probably do it because they think one orientation provides the best user experience or because it's twice as much work to code it and make graphics for two orientations. Unless I'm watching a video, my phone is always in portrait mode; it feels the most natural to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You have a valid point with it being twice as much work. I'm sure there is more coding involved. That is when I experience the most problems with portrait and landscape is watching a video. I tend to watch a lot of videos at night before going to bed and when I click on the link to a video, the phone does not change to landscape which is much better for videos. Is there a solution?

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Nope, you just have to turn the phone. It's setup that way for all apps that are designed for portrait and landscape orientation. The only ones that automatically switch to landscape mode on the iPhone are apps that don't work in portrait mode.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I wish Facebook would do landscape mode. Oh, well! There's just some apps that don't.

15. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Is that a app were you get a picture in the middle of the screen.
    Or what does tweak do?

#15 Fantomas318 ツ, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cydia an App Store for jailbroken devices. Jailbreaking allows you to install apps and tweaks that aren't available on stock devices. You can do things like customize the look of the home screen and add various gestures to perform actions. I am not aware of a tweak in Cydia that forces apps that weren't designed for landscape into that mode. Not sure why you would want it, though. They would look like this if you managed to do it:
    image.jpg

17. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

The thing is I'm using the app Cycle on Earth and AirPlaying it to my Apple TV.
    Cycle on Earth doesn't support landscape mode.
    However landscape mode makes the screen bigger on the tv.