Laptop died, should I get an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jdsmitty10, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Hello,
    Been looking for excuses to buy an iPad for a while now..

My hp laptop motherboard just went out on me and here is my situation..

I have an hp desktop with an old laser printer and a newer hp wifi photo printer(not an AirPrint). The only thing we usually did on the laptop was photos/surfing and some slight client info for my wife's businesss.. That laptop is dead now.

So would you recommend the new iPad or a MacBook air? I'm done with windows pcs so if I go with another laptop it's gonna be an Apple...I'm kicking around a 32gb 3rd gen iPad or a MacBook air. For the price difference and the fact I have a pc would you go with an iPad for surfing/ photos/ and some light scheduling/client info work?

Also, with my printer setup is there an app I can get to print from the iPad to my wifi photo printer that is not AirPrint? I am not interested in getting another printer cause this one is fairly new..

Thanks for your input!
    Jon

2. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

I would get an iPad (64 GB) but that's just me. Anyone asking this question needs to make sure they understand the differences b/w an iPad and computer. They need to understand an iPad cannot do everything the computer can do. However, I feel that the functions the iPad does of a computer it actually can do much better. I myself found that when using a PC, 95% of my usage was something that the iPad is capable of. That still leaves 5% of the time I must use my
    PC, but I certainly find the iPad worth it for me. I am a little biased b/c I don't like Macs so I would definitely choose an iPad over a Mac. Of course I am now to the point of hating PCs in general (Windows AND Mac), so I would take the iPad. It is, after all, a post PC world. Some people use computers in a way that requires a real PC. In that case, it is justified to buy a new PC. In my case, I feel all I really need is an iPad. Even if I need my PC 5% of the time currently I can foresee a time when I can do everything I need on a tablet.

As for printing from the iPad, there is an application you can install on your computer called AirPrint Activator that enables this. The way it works is by sharing the printer over the WiFi network and sending print jobs through the computer, so the PC will have to be turned on to print via the iPad. I use this, and it works great! Kind of sucks that the PC must be on to print, but this is the only method of AirPrint via a non AirPrint Printer. I use an old laser printer from 2000 (saves much on ink) which doesn't even have networking (connected to pc via USB), but I can still print wirelessly from iPad. How cool is that? I will say I have Windows 7, and not 100% sure if it works on XP or not.

EDIT: By the way some people have had trouble getting AirPrint Activator set up initially. It took me awhile but finally got it figured out. If you do get the iPad, and have any trouble setting it up, let me know and I'll help you out. I only got it set up s few weeks ago but I'm still psyched about it. I literally print every chance I get from the iPad :)

3. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for your reply! I am still in the decision process and the "talk the wifey into it" process lol.. I actually have ruled out a Mac for price reasons so I guess if I go with a laptop it will be a windows one. Just not sure if I want to wait for windows 8 to come out if I go the laptop route.. Lately before the laptop died, all my wife and i have been using around the house was our iPhones to surf. Then the day the laptop died I wanted to look something up with a bigger screen and boom it went.. So I'm thinking the iPad will do the job. But then comparing what u get for the price it's almost a no brainer to get a laptop... So who knows what I will do. Comparing storage capacities and prices I can get a 750gb + laptop for the same price as a 32gb iPad... Or even cheaper in some cases... Thanks again for your 2cents!

4. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

What wifey don't know wont hurt her d:

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It depends on what you need it for. If storage space is a concern, a laptop is the obvious choice. I went with an iPad since I have an iMac for storing all my files (videos, photos, etc.) and don't need duplicates of all of them on my mobile devices. I can log into my computer over WiFi or 3G to transfer or stream them when I need to, but most of the time I'm using the iPad for email and web browsing so it's perfect for my needs and a lot cheaper than a MBP.

6. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Ha. When she pays the credit card bill she will know hahaha... She looks at the iPad as a "gadget we don't need since we have iPhones" and she is concerned about printing photos to our hp photosmart wifi printer from it. That's basically what she used the laptop for..photos and surfing. But with the desktop she could do that considering the printer is right there anyway... My bro just got an iPad through work and says he hasn't touched his laptop since.. I know as soon as I get an iPad my other computer will go haha. That's basically my luck... Then I will be footin the bill for both an iPad and comp...

7. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the response. I Think I could survive with the 250gb desktop I have.. I have my 16 gb iPhone 4 down to 1.6gb left. But that's with 2000 photos and a lot of hd vids which I doubt I will do much of on an iPad considering I'm not gonna lug that around taking pics..

8. riffdex

riffdex Member
    Bronze

Well if the main concern is price you could look into used iPad's on eBay or craigslist. I just bought a used iPad 1 64 GB last week for $300 and loving it. But you might opt for an iPad 2 for the camera and extra features (I personally don't think an iPad 3 is worth it vs a used iPad 2, considering the higher price you'll be paying). Just bc it's used it doesn't mean it's gonna be in poor condition. My iPad is in "like new" condition. I cannot tell any problems with it. As for AirPrint, I suggest you set the program (AirPrint Activator) up on your other computer and attempt to print from your iPhone. This will pretty much guarantee you have it set up right and will be able to print from the iPad. If you have any problems setting up AirPrint let me know and I'll help ya out.

9. cobainkurt

cobainkurt New Member

definitely go with the ipad...

10. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

I base my opinions on what "you" stated your use would typically be. For emails; surfing; making Internet purchases; pictures/editing; iPad, iPad, iPad...I replaced my lenovo laptop with an MBAir & iPad. I seldom use my MBAir because I can access my mainframe (PC) via GoToMyPC...there are also many free apps for remote access. iOS is driving many features of new OSx releases. I also find that I use the iPad camera much more than I originally intended.

11. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the input.. I'm still kicking it around. Right now with summer and my 3 kids I find myself not having time to miss the laptop..

12. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Yes DEFINITELY!
    I still have the first IPad lol and I cannot stand pC computer they r I much slower and I just have no patience for their slower browse etc
    iPads are fast no problem and if Inhad a choice I'd pick the ipadz
    laptops r my storage (iTunes etc)
    My teen uses it. My husband and I use the ipad

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

13. Momo818

Momo818 New Member

I will give you my opinion about the printer, I have a brother all in one printer/fax/scanner that is a wifi connected and I looked online because I didn't want to buy an Air print printer because the brother was fairly new. so I found out an app made by brother called iprint&scan made by brother it works with other apps and safari to capture what you want to print, may be your printer have such app and it wouldn't be a problem to convince the wifey that she will be able to print her photos via iPad with a touch of a button.

Sent from my iPad2

Attached Files:

14. pitterbened

pitterbened Guest

Also, with my printer setup is there an app I can get to print from the iPad

15. Muckcityjustin

Gold

For your needs an iPad would be a great choice. When I need a computer for something other then work I tend to use my iPad. It comes in handy and the screen is amazing. Go for it!

16. sujit kumar

sujit kumar New Member

I include that brother all of in one printer/fax/scanner who is actually a wifi together and I turned internet because I can'ted need to buy some sort of Mist publishing printer because both the brother served as a little fresh. considerably I found an app helped make as a result of brother known as iprint&scan made by friend that rods additional application as well as chrome for you to record which you going to publishing, ares going to be your own unit have such app which never remain one problem to help influence your wifey which she will print him photographs with iPad to a touch of purchases.

17. iAppleFan12

iAppleFan12 New Member

I might be in the minority for suggesting this but I would get a good toshiba laptop because you may need to use more functions than an iPad in the future. iPad is nice but only for a few good things.

18. notin

notin New Member

Computer - I need to open and work on many documents at the same time, on the ipad this is not possible.

19. grahamjohn87

grahamjohn87 New Member