Laptop doesn't recognize iPhone is plugged in?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dwalnuts

Dec 29, 2011
Ive searched thousand of google topics And tried 100s of things and no one seems to be able to figure this out. I plugged my iPhone into my laptop and nothing happened,like nothings even plugged in. It doesn't make a noise,charge,or bring up iTunes. I've checked everything with my wife's phone and hers works fine on the same laptop with same cord. My phone charges perfectly using wall outlet or car charger. I've tried connecting to a different laptop and a pc and still nothing shows. I can't restore it cause iTunes doesn't show it. I saw a lot of post from people saying to go into device manager and look for portable device or iPhone and uninstall driver and then reinstall which was like the most common answer,but mine doesn't even show up in device manager cause its like nothings plugged in to the USB. 1 more thing if I power off phone and then plug it into the laptop it will come on but after that nothing shows.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
' 1 more thing if I power off phone and then plug it into the laptop it will come on but after that nothing shows. '

Have you attempted to plug it into the laptop while off, let it come on and immediately restore using iTunes? What do you mean by after it turns on when plugged into laptop nothing shows? iTunes doesn't even open or what?

Dwalnuts

Dec 29, 2011
It's not recognized at all on a computer like nothings plugged into the USB. If I turn it off first then plug it into the USB it will turn on,but then it's like it's not even connected.I can remove it and plug my wife's phone right in and hers brings up my iTunes and says Apple mobile device. If I take hers off and plug mine in the Apple mobile device disappears as if nothings in the USB. Like I said though it charges fine through socket and car charger.

Dwalnuts

Dec 29, 2011
I also tried putting it in recovery mode and usually iTunes says phone detected in recovery mode. Not now though iTunes doesn't even see it. I saw a post about using diskaid,that didn't detect either

Dwalnuts

Dec 29, 2011
All around my phone works great and I'm not even sure the last time I had it hooked to my laptop. I wanted to update it from 4.3.3 and that's how I noticed. I've been messing with it for 3 days straight and haven't got any closer to an answer

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Have you attempted to remove iTunes and reinstall iTunes on your laptop? I think you said it doesn't work on other computers as well. Very strange! Never heard of this occurring.

Dwalnuts

Dec 29, 2011
It's really weird,I've had it working on that laptop before and if something was wrong with the port,then it would charge on a regular outlet and for the laptop to kick it on when it's off but not charge it or recognize it after is very puzzling. I saw post were peoe had corrupted email pictures that they deleted and it came back on,so I deleted all my pics and that didn't work,tried dfu mode and recovery and not detected. I'm at a loss.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I'm guessing defective/damaged pins on the connector on your iPhone. Obviously the pins for charging work as it will take a current off the USB port of a computer or a wall charger. It will not communicate though via cable. Have to get it repaired by Apple. Too bad you can't get wireless synching to work at this point.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
I would just take it to the Apple store and get a new one.
If it is truly defective, it won't work for them either when the plug it into their MacBook.

Dwalnuts

Dec 29, 2011
I've tried everything,it works through a reg charger like new,even a cheap car charger.I tried the computer at work and nothing. If I turn it off then plug it into a computer it will turn it on but after that it doesn't recognize it