Laptop For college suggestions!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Hey all. I am graduating from High School on Friday and I am ready to start looking into getting my supplies for college.

Like most college goers I am going to get a laptop

Does anyone have a suggestion for a college laptop? It does not need to be super amazing because I have a desktop for that.

Thanks for any input!

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Try Apple, they have really good student discounts and offers. But a notebook from Apple is definitely not going to be cheap, so try Dell. Dell is not expensive but really good quality. Stay away from HP notebooks as much as possible! I bet they are contagious, they even slow down other computers around them, lol.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Brand = Quality + Price

Apple = Excellent + Expensive
Dell = So-so + Cheap
HP = Good + Average
Sony = Excellent + Expensive
Gateway = Good + Cheap/Average
Toshiba = Excellent + Cheap/Average
Acer = Not even worth putting the formula unless it's one of their high end ones...

Those are my observations from working in a consumer electronics store for over four years...

For the record, I own a Sony VAIO notebook and a custom built desktop...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've gone through 3 laptops since entering college and Apple is definitely the best.

I started with a Gateway Tablet and had nothing but problems from the moment I got it. I replaced it with a Sony VAIO and it did well for about 8 months and then completely stopped working. I took it to Best Buy (I had the 3 year warranty) and they said that it was somehow out of warranty and that it would be $1800 to fix.

I got a MacBook Air instead.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I'll go ahead and suggest the Macbook Pro 13inch from Apple.
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB990LL/A?mco=NjcxMTQ2Mw

At 1199 its the most affordable unless you buy the $900 macbook.
U get what you pay for, no viruses, good for multimedia, videos, pictures, you can add iWork on there for documents and spreadsheets letters etc.
Add on all the bells and whistles (more RAM and definitely a bigger hard drive...160gb ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!) and your $1199 is looking more like $1400...doesn't seem so attractive anymore... :sick:

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I don't think he was asking for all the bells and whistles. The macbook pro 13inch is fine just out of the box if u decide not to add anything.

He's already got a powerful desktop, im guessing the laptop is just a secondary item.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with London. For the money you are getting a fantastic machine with plenty of mobile capabilities. I really wouldn't mind picking up a 13" MBP myself.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Why is that Tom?

In my opinion laptops are paramount to college life. If you need to meet up at someone's apartment or dorm or the library to study you're going to wish you had a laptop. There were very few days when I didn't use my laptop and even fewer when I wished I had brought a desktop with me.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
College is all about mobility. When the term is up or whenever you have to move from another dorm having a desktop amongst all your other items is cumbersome.

Besides, some lectures are done in class on a laptop.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Why is that Tom?

In my opinion laptops are paramount to college life. If you need to meet up at someone's apartment or dorm or the library to study you're going to wish you had a laptop. There were very few days when I didn't use my laptop and even fewer when I wished I had brought a desktop with me.
Did you miss the sarcasm or what?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Is anyone anticipating a new macbook by September?
If not is it ok for me to get one now?

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
When are you going to start college? I guess you should wait like a week or two before you start college, if no new MacBooks came out yet, then buy one of the Aluminum ones. I think you have a 14 or 30 day take back guarantee or something, which lets you be able to exchange it with a new one and pay the difference. I guess you'll start in the Fall semester, September, so you still have a good chance.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Is anyone anticipating a new macbook by September?
If not is it ok for me to get one now?
no, they just refreshed the line last week at WWDC.

another thing worth mentioning is the Apple store is giViNG AWAY ipod touches with any mac purchase for students.

Student discount = $100
NIB ipod touch sold on ebay/craigslist = $200

So that $1199 is actually looking more like $899.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
That's the offer I heard about before. We have it here too, for AUC students, but without a free iPod Touch, just a discount on the item you buy. So, you're all good to go wjp09.

Ron Jeremy

Bronze
Jun 7, 2009
check out the Apple macbook refurbs they are selling, can't beat those deals for basically brand new machines