Laptop & iPhone

flipper421

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oregon
I met someone the other day that said they have a smart phone (not Apple I'm thinking it was a blackberry) that said if his phone is plugged into the usb port of his laptop while he is in his car, his phone gives him the option to surf the net with his laptop without having a cellular USB device or PCMCIA Card.

I have never heard of such a thing....Can this be done with the iPhone?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Not by a physical interface, and only with a jailbroken phone. I use Pda Net via WiFi.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
PDA NET allows this. Awsome program to use your phone as your computer's modem! While you're at it, install CYCORDER, a camcorder program for your iPhone...simpley amazing......................

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The above do in fact work very well. I was able to get NetShare from the App store that allows the iPhone to tether to a laptop utilizing the 3G and/or EDGE network. Apple took it out of the App Store pretty quickly unfortunately.

Boatski

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I don't even have to use pdanet unless it starts on its own without me opening the app up. All I did was create an ad hoc network and connected my laptop and iPhone to it and the net worked for me.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Cycorder is great, but it's a shame you cannot email those movie files :(

Have you also checked out Snapture? It's a camera app that is a lot better than the one that comes with the iPhone. Great thing is, any pics taken with Snapture get placed in your photo roll.

PDA NET allows this. Awsome program to use your phone as your computer's modem! While you're at it, install CYCORDER, a camcorder program for your iPhone...simpley amazing......................

gadha

Mar 25, 2008
Cycorder is great, but it's a shame you cannot email those movie files :(
You just have to ssh into the phone and then copy and send from your computer.

I love Cycorder bc it encodes on the fly....no more wait time like Video Recorder.