laptop running windows Vista help...

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
well i have a Toshiba Satellite running Vista. Yesterday when i tried to turn it on it took ages to load up and be usable. Once all the startup programs loaded and i got them closed i opened the task manager and went into processes and noticed that my CPU usage was %100 all the time and it wouldn't go down while i was doing nothing. i went in and ended all processes that were unimportant and it went down to %75 or so. it had some updates to install and i restarted it which took forever to do now when i try to open the task manager to end processess i don't need it says failed due to security. i have the restore disk and it runs in safe mode just fine. i am willing to restore if i can get my media off through a flash drive. i tried to open my media but it fails to do so in safe mode. thanks for the help and i would like it if yall could refrain from telling me to go buy a mac. (im already itching really bad to take a trip to my Apple dealer)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
what do you mean by, "i tried to open my media but it fails to do so in safe mode"? You should not have to "open" any files to just transfer them to a flash drive. Just open the directory they're in, copy, and then paste to your flash drive.

anyway, is there any one (or two) process(es) that are hogging most of your CPU? Or is it a lot of them doing it collectively? As an alternative to Safe Mode, you could run "msconfig" and kill all startup items and non-microsoft services. That should at least make Normal mode work well enough to backup files.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
system idle is always around %50 and then some others that are SYSTEM take up a lot too. I found out about the transferring files so that's taken care of. What about iTunes do I need to disable the account if I restore or will I just redownload it and it will stil have the same account info?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Any time you boot a windows machine connected to the Internet, it's going to check for updates for everything that can but updated, including virus scan programs and the like. It's the nature of the beast since MS likes to put their software out before it's 100% ready for the consumer.
If they actually sat down and wrote from scratch, and beta tested heavily IN HOUSE, then by the time it hit the market, it would be as rock solid as it could be with minor exceptions here and there down the road.
I don't care how anyone else feels about Vista, but it's the biggest piece of crap to leave MS in a long time. XP Pro is still more stable, even though it's a bit slow. I don't know any corporation that is willing to go to Vista in any version ( how many are there now? Remember when it was just home and Business? and Business generally had only a few more security tweaks than the home version?) due to how many circles you have to go in to set permissions and security for even the simplest things.

Sorry for the MS rant, but I just cannot stand vista and I hear nothing but strange problems from vista users. Makes me want a mac all the more.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I personally like Vista.

If you can I would get a copy of Vista and not use the restore disk. I did that, but it's my work PC so I could. This way you don't get all the Toshiba junk that comes with the machine.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
yes that's true about the junk they give ya. I have never once used a program that have came with any of my computers.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't think you have to reinstall that "junk" when you restore on a toshiba... could be wrong though. In any case, you can just uninstall the stuff afterward. I wouldn't spend $200+ on another copy of vista just for that.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
well I think that sum it up OJ. Well I stopped at the Apple dealer and played around with a 2.4 Ghz white MacBook. I knew I shouldn't have done that LOL. My first veiws are so-so but the dealer didn't have anything setup on it so there wasn't much I could do. They also have 0% for 6 months. I know I shouldn't finance but I don't have the money out right.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
can anybody let me know if i should disable my iTunes account before i restore my PC?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it shouldn't matter, but wouldn't hurt to do so just to be safe.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Heres a great program that will explain what every startup and task does, and if its needed or not, and lets you disable them right in its program, its used by the IT professionals,
http://www.answersthatwork.com/TUT_pages/TUT_information.htm
my vista machine boot times and performance have increased i would say by 50 percent or more. IMO vista is a much better OS then xp, its much more security oriented, but that tends to use more tasks then really needed, a couple of tasks for Apple i didn't need either so i shut them off.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I will check that program out. I'm curious to see what I actually have to have running.