Laptop tethering

p8ntbll247

Jul 12, 2008
Anyone know when we'll be able to use our iPhones as an Internet source for laptops? And will it be included in the unlimited data plan we all have?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Anyone know when we'll be able to use our iPhones as an Internet source for laptops? And will it be included in the unlimited data plan we all have?
It'll be available sometime this summer. If you want to use it now there's a real easy hack available and you don't have to be jailbroken. I just wouldn't go overboard with usage.

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4272

ldivinag

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
N37 33* W122 3*
i got that to work on one dell desktop.

but on another dell laptop, it wasn't found as a network device.

weird.

chimera

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
PDnet works too well for me to upgrade to 3.0. I've been tethering to my Macbook Pro in XP or OSX for about a year and no complications.

mramay

Bronze
Apr 24, 2009
Las Vegas!
PDAnet worked great with my Vista Home Premium HP laptop and an iPhone OS 2.2.1. The Internet Tethering in networking is very simple with the iPhone upgraded to OS 3.0. Both simple, both work, and my carrier hasn't gotten upset ($$) with me yet.

akai0siXx

Jul 5, 2009
SATX
Ive been tethering using ben.at download as well as the PDAnet, no probs. The only thing is with the PDAnet it disconnects when my phone goes to sleep. Anyone else have this problem?

Odaak

Jul 4, 2009
Last time I used PDAnet was for my Moto Q. Can you adjust when the phone goes to sleep? Sorry if I'm not much help, I'm still an iPhone noob 

iPhabe

Jul 6, 2009
tethering on windows PC

i got that to work on one dell desktop.

but on another dell laptop, it wasn't found as a network device.

weird.

on my MAC, I just connect via USB and it works. What do I need to do on my Windows PC to get tethering to work?

tate

Bronze
Jun 6, 2009
It'll be available sometime this summer. If you want to use it now there's a real easy hack available and you don't have to be jailbroken. I just wouldn't go overboard with usage.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to use to much of your "unlimited data"...

LOL! Oh no not that. :laugh2:

I use my wifes dell laptop all the time and works perfectly. You have to disable the current internet and then it finds the iPhone without asking.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV

Yeah, you wouldn't want to use to much of your "unlimited data"...

Using tethering without subscribing to the service voilates At&t's terms of service. If they suspect you are using they will charge you for it and have the right to terminate your service. That's why whenever tethering hacks/programs become available people are strongly cautioned to watch their usage. At&t probably wont detect occasional usage but if you go nuts then they might catch on.

Using SlingPlayer over the 3G is also a voilation. I still use it, but only occasionally.

From At&t's Terms of Service...

"Furthermore, plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/PDA-to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose. Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use the Services other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and are not for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies."

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/messaging-internet/media-legal-notices.jsp

mramay

Bronze
Apr 24, 2009
Las Vegas!
LOL! Oh no not that. :laugh2:

I use my wifes dell laptop all the time and works perfectly. You have to disable the current internet and then it finds the iPhone without asking.
I thought about finding some data intensive activities that I can legitimately do directly from the iPhone so that when I tether that amount of data usage gets lost in the chaff. Suggestions?

Download several large somethings?
How much data stream is used by YouTube or other streaming video?
Can I get my Netflix account to work on the iPhone? That alone would be pretty cool and use up some bandwidth!

tate

Bronze
Jun 6, 2009
I thought about finding some data intensive activities that I can legitimately do directly from the iPhone so that when I tether that amount of data usage gets lost in the chaff. Suggestions?

Download several large somethings?
How much data stream is used by YouTube or other streaming video?
Can I get my Netflix account to work on the iPhone? That alone would be pretty cool and use up some bandwidth!

Safari is just like any other internet, you should be able to access netflix on it. I access my bank account on it.

mramay

Bronze
Apr 24, 2009
Las Vegas!
Safari is just like any other internet, you should be able to access netflix on it. I access my bank account on it.
To quote the famous Mork - "Shazbot". Netflix would let me log on, select movies and put them in my queues, but not watch them. An instant play attempt got me "Our apologies - instant watching is not supported for your operating system." It will do XP or Vista or Mac OS 10.4.8 or higher, but that's all. Nothing about any mobile operating system. Shazbot

terrywills

Jun 21, 2009
California
Thanks for the hack link there. I got it working. Though I only use it for emergency. But is it sure to have one in the summer?

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I tried setting up the hack but when I went to network settings it popped up "to enable internet tethering please contact AT&T"

Jim

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I tried setting up the hack but when I went to network settings it popped up "to enable internet tethering please contact AT&T"

Jim

I remember I got that, too, when I first set it up. Just close the window and go back into network setting and you should be able to turn on tethering. Then just plug the phone into a computer and the drivers should load up. The phone will show up in "my connections" after a few moment (if you're on a PC, that is).

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I've used tethering for over a year and sometimes my usage goes over 12GB per month. No issues at all. Doesn't make sense that they give you unlimited data but you can't transmit that data to a laptop. I know there are differences but it really does sound silly. That's like the cable company telling you that you can't have more than two televisions hooked up to their service.

gadgetguy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007