Last.fm for the iPhone is here

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Last.fm has released a mobile scrobber for the iPhone.

It is available in the installer under recent.
You will need to visit last.fm and set up an account if you don't already have one.

The mobile scrobber streams what ever you want to hear to your iPhone. Just enter the name of band you like and it will start playing. You can also listen to 'tag' radio to hear similar artist.

It very cool. You should check it out.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I have been using last.fm for a few years now, and this app ROCKS. Definitely the coolest 3rd party app so far.

I actually just re-jailbroke my phone earlier today after a month hiatus, and i was pleasantly surprised to find this.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the name of the package is actually "mobileScrobbler". "Scrobble" is the term used by last.fm for the syncing of your recently played tracks to your profile.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
I haven't checked this app out yet but post above me states that you need wifi to stream is that correct and if so why wont it stream over edge..

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yes, you do need WIFI to stream... i assume EDGE isn't always fast enough to support streaming. Maybe they'll update it to include this feature, though. That would be heaven sent.

it does, however, still sync your recently-listened-to songs to last.fm over EDGE.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
For some reason Ive had nothing but issues with Orb. Plus I like having an actual app for it instead of using the web browser.

I had a chance to play with it on my Wifi and this app is excellent. The only way they couldve made it better would be to display the Album art like the iPod function does. Then have a button for the artist information. That and EDGE and this would be an excellent app.

Also, while playing with it I noticed something. When you open Scrobbler and start a stream. You can go in and out of other apps as if you were listening to the iPod. You can even double click the home screen button and it will bring up the iPod shortcut controls and displays the song that you are currently streaming. But thats as far as it goes, when you try to pause it from there it starts playing an iPod song on top of the stream. I don't know if that made sense.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it made sense... hopefully they'll continue to expand on its integration with the iPhone.

i have also noticed that you have to make this app active before it will scrobble your songs. As far as i can tell, if the little pair-of-eighth-notes icon isn't in the status bar, your songs won't get scrobbled. It stays active for a while, but does close... haven't quite figured out the pattern yet...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, there's an update. so far it seems to keep the app running in the backgroumd better so it will contimually scrobble your music.

keeps getting better...

caboose

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
When I type in an artist, I usually only get "similar artists". Is there a setting or something to only listen to songs from the specific artist I want? BTW this is definitely one of the best apps available right now

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I like it, Except If I put artist, it gives me a bunch of songs that I don't like, Any ways to Listen to a especific song?

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
Dumb question: what does scrobble mean? I'm also trying to figure out why this app runs in the background after it is closed. I can't even terminate it from the list of running processes.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
"scrobble" is sending you recently played songs to your last.fm profile to be kept track of for statistical purposes. it is kept running in the background so when/if you
listen to your ipod, it will do this "scrobbling" with the songs you listen to.

you can probably turn this feature off by going to the settings button in the app and turning "scrobble music" and "scrobble over edge" both to off.

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
Latest Version

Seems like the latest version is crashing constantly on me. Never really had issues with it before until I updated it last week. It's been unstable and sluggish at the very least with constant crashes.

Anyone else having the same issues with the latest app? It's a shame because I really love this app but I can't really use it in it's current state. I will uninstall and reinstall it in the meantime to see if it has any effect.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think it uses too much memory for its own good. if you're scrobbling while listening to the ipod and using safari, you're going to have problems. That said, it never crashed on its own while i was using it.

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
i think it uses too much memory for its own good. if you're scrobbling while listening to the ipod and using safari, you're going to have problems. That said, it never crashed on its own while i was using it.
I agree. Looks like the uninstallation and reinstallation along with scrobble disabled has gotten it back to normal. I have no need for the scrobble option to be on. What I like to do is let it run continuously while hooked up to my home stereo. Works great for parties as it just plays a particular type of music continuously. It really is a fantastic application.

I wonder if there will be a similar application once Apple rolls out their approved third party apps...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm sure last.fm will submit one... just a question of whether or not Apple will make it "official".

i'm also hoping for a pandora app...

...that would almost be TOO cool.