"Late April" keyboard dock shipment progress!

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
The keyboard dock that I ordered with my 3G iPad that had a ship date of "Late April" is now marked as Prepared for Shipment. Still, it says Late April but I'd love it if it meant they were shipping "Late April" items early! :)

A girl can hope I guess. But I won't hold my breath either.

leslivres

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
just received the keyboard dock. just unwrapping it. came on the exact date it was promised. now that i have conquered the WiFi problems and the email problems, ready to go!

sracer

Bronze
Mar 26, 2010
just received the keyboard dock. just unwrapping it. came on the exact date it was promised. now that i have conquered the WiFi problems and the email problems, ready to go!
Same here. The user experience is remarkably different when using the iPad with the keyboard dock. Arrow keys, home key, lock key. VERY nice. Although the keyboard is not as flat as the wireless keyboard (due to the docking support) it is certainly small enough to toss in a backpack.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Same here. The user experience is remarkably different when using the iPad with the keyboard dock. Arrow keys, home key, lock key. VERY nice. Although the keyboard is not as flat as the wireless keyboard (due to the docking support) it is certainly small enough to toss in a backpack.
My biggest problem problem is that you can't have it landscape to use. Most of the time I use the iPad landscape when web browsing.

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
I don't think you can leave it in the case and put it on the dock, too. I don't think it will fit.

Another option - what I'm using now - leaving it in the Apple case standing in landscape mode and pairing a wireless keyboard with it through Bluetooth.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I don't think you can leave it in the case and put it on the dock, too. I don't think it will fit.

Another option - what I'm using now - leaving it in the Apple case standing in landscape mode and pairing a wireless keyboard with it through Bluetooth.
Yeah, that's what I thought and what I plan to do as well when it's time for War & Peace.

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
nope

it DOES NOT fit on the keyboard dock if you have it in it's case. There simply is no room; the dock connection is that close to the back rest portion of the dock.

Just got it today as well..it's freakin awesome. I'm actually afraid of looking like a db if i bring it to class though. Not really sure how well society will perceive this new technology....

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
it DOES NOT fit on the keyboard dock if you have it in it's case. There simply is no room; the dock connection is that close to the back rest portion of the dock.

Just got it today as well..it's freakin awesome. I'm actually afraid of looking like a db if i bring it to class though. Not really sure how well society will perceive this new technology....

Set a trend and carry it. I plan to carry mine to meetings to take notes, check calendar, etc.

sracer

Bronze
Mar 26, 2010
Can you leave the iPad in the Apple case and use the keyboard dock or not?
Unfortunately, no. But it looks like part of the case can be trimmed away (the shape/size of the dock's backplate) and it would work. I'm giving it serious consideration because of how difficult it is to remove the iPad from the case.

sracer

Bronze
Mar 26, 2010
My biggest problem problem is that you can't have it landscape to use. Most of the time I use the iPad landscape when web browsing.
True. But if you plan on using Pages with the keyboard dock you'll need to use it in portrait mode to get access to the menus. I think that ultimately a dock "frame" will be produced to allow the iPad to be used in either orientation in conjunction with the bluetooth keyboard.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Unfortunately, no. But it looks like part of the case can be trimmed away (the shape/size of the dock's backplate) and it would work. I'm giving it serious consideration because of how difficult it is to remove the iPad from the case.
Let us know how that works out and what you do to stitch it or whatever to stop it from fraying! Great idea!

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
True. But if you plan on using Pages with the keyboard dock you'll need to use it in portrait mode to get access to the menus. I think that ultimately a dock "frame" will be produced to allow the iPad to be used in either orientation in conjunction with the bluetooth keyboard.
I guess your right. I haven't even used Pages yet. I've been using Numbers a lot though. I'm still undecided if I'll get this or not.

sracer

Bronze
Mar 26, 2010
Ok. I trimmed a section of the case away to accommodate the dock's backplate. It works perfectly. However, there is a rectangular opening on the back of the case. I'll take pics and post them shortly.