Late to work, COP used my NEW iPhone, 3 TICKETS later...

wellz

Aug 5, 2008
ATLanta, GA
so this is my first post. happens to be the FIRST day with my brand new 3G. (wakin up to it, that is). AND, just happened to be the CRAZIEST morning (include the past 16 or so hours as well). it all started when....

yesterday i was at work, just runnin through the forums all day, readin away. lookin at all the good feedback, bad feedback, jokes, good times, bad times that go in EIC. and pretty much enjoyin my day. Ordered my phone on the 29th of July (16gig black, infamous) and wasn't expectin to see it for another week, maybe 2. i hadnt even bothered to check the status on my order the whole day, but i just so happened to go ahead and do it with 1hr 35min left in my work day. to my surprise, my ordered had been SHIPPED and DELIVERED! jumped up outta my desk did the TIGER WOODS birdie pump and sat back down. told my homeboi the great news, cheesin that whole time! got the call from ATT to pick up the phone. went and picked it up on my way to the house. called t-mobile to put my phone on the strictly data plan. and played wit my iPhone the rest of the nite. ofcourse sent out the massive text messages from the blackberry notifying everybody that i got a new primary cell, and the blackberry is ridin the pine. but i had a great nite last nite wit my phone (despite tha little bit of arguin me and my fiance had lol) errythang was breezy. 8... 9... 10... 11... 12... 1... 2... o clock and STILL playin wit this phone. gotta get to sleep because im NOT tryin to be to work late. (theyve been firin ppl left and right). but ofcourse, i wake up late. still got out tha house at a reasonable time to make it to work rite on time. (drive a charger, so shooot, im MAKIN it to work on time) BUT NOT TODAY...

then THIS HAPPENS (brief and quick)

accident on austell road. call the boss to explain my upcoming tardiness (voicemail ofcourse) and WHILE im leaving this message...

"hey patrice, just callin to let u kno im runnin a little late. there was an accident on austell road. messed my timin... ummm... cops turnin around and i think im bout to get pulled over... yep... flashin lights... charger too... COBB COUNTY... hes got me, byyyyeee"

hang up tha phone quick. pull over to tha shoulder. and here comes COBB COUNTY (if you kno Atlanta Met, u kno COBB COUNTY. C.ount O.n B.ein B.usted). im like #$%!. I KNO i was speedin. same road everyday. just TODAY im on the phone (forgot my H12 headset) and not payin attention lookin for cops as usual. cop comes up to my car asks for the license (GA license). asks if its my car (ofcourse it is! SC tag tho, damn! just moved back home after a year in Charleston). asks for insurance. (GA Geico. GA license. SC tag = suspect lol, not really, but in this case, hes pondering). asks ME speed limit (law = 45. me late for work = 69). okay, i see the speedin ticket comin my way, damn!. alrite, cool wit it. calm. but check THIS out!

Cop asks me to use MY phone to call Geico. WTF! ARE YOU SERIOUS? (take a deep breath, because f**k it, aint like i got anything to worry about or nothin, exhale) DEEP BREATH! (am i stupid for this>?) hand him my iPhone to talk to geico. but he goes BACK to his charger and talks on my phone for like 20 minutes! seriously. sittin in my car like i hope he enjoys my phone so i don't get no BIG A$$ FINE. dude comes back and says... "ive dropped the speed from 69 to 59 so u don't get any points on your license." im cool wit that because my record is CLEAN. he says "i don't kno why i am, but i am. You still have these OTHER TWO tickets as well" im like
#$%&*#@! (in my head, not out loud). "1 for an out of state tag, when u now reside in GA. the other for the SC tag being Suspended" WTF! are you serious? SOUTH CAROLINA SUSPENDED MY GOT DAMN TAG! (no notifications, nothing. THANKS SOUTH CAROLINA!)

all this before being awake for 1 hour. ugh, the struggles of a 21 year old young man trying to make a living and take over tha world. but guess wat... I STILL LOVE MY MUTH@#$%&*#% iPhone! :p (even tho a COP had more fun with it this mornin before i did. maybe thats why he dropped my speed?.. hmm)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
so this is my first post. happens to be the FIRST day with my brand new 3G. (wakin up to it, that is). AND, just happened to be the CRAZIEST morning (include the past 16 or so hours as well). it all started when....

yesterday i was at work, just runnin through the forums all day, readin away. lookin at all the good feedback, bad feedback, jokes, good times, bad times that go in EIC. and pretty much enjoyin my day. Ordered my phone on the 29th of July (16gig black, infamous) and wasn't expectin to see it for another week, maybe 2. i hadnt even bothered to check the status on my order the whole day, but i just so happened to go ahead and do it with 1hr 35min left in my work day. to my surprise, my ordered had been SHIPPED and DELIVERED! jumped up outta my desk did the TIGER WOODS birdie pump and sat back down. told my homeboi the great news, cheesin that whole time! got the call from ATT to pick up the phone. went and picked it up on my way to the house. called t-mobile to put my phone on the strictly data plan. and played wit my iPhone the rest of the nite. ofcourse sent out the massive text messages from the blackberry notifying everybody that i got a new primary cell, and the blackberry is ridin the pine. but i had a great nite last nite wit my phone (despite tha little bit of arguin me and my fiance had lol) errythang was breezy. 8... 9... 10... 11... 12... 1... 2... o clock and STILL playin wit this phone. gotta get to sleep because im NOT tryin to be to work late. (theyve been firin ppl left and right). but ofcourse, i wake up late. still got out tha house at a reasonable time to make it to work rite on time. (drive a charger, so shooot, im MAKIN it to work on time) BUT NOT TODAY...

then THIS HAPPENS (brief and quick)

accident on austell road. call the boss to explain my upcoming tardiness (voicemail ofcourse) and WHILE im leaving this message...

"hey patrice, just callin to let u kno im runnin a little late. there was an accident on austell road. messed my timin... ummm... cops turnin around and i think im bout to get pulled over... yep... flashin lights... charger too... COBB COUNTY... hes got me, byyyyeee"

hang up tha phone quick. pull over to tha shoulder. and here comes COBB COUNTY (if you kno Atlanta Met, u kno COBB COUNTY. C.ount O.n B.ein B.usted). im like #$%!. I KNO i was speedin. same road everyday. just TODAY im on the phone (forgot my H12 headset) and not payin attention lookin for cops as usual. cop comes up to my car asks for the license (GA license). asks if its my car (ofcourse it is! SC tag tho, damn! just moved back home after a year in Charleston). asks for insurance. (GA Geico. GA license. SC tag = suspect lol, not really, but in this case, hes pondering). asks ME speed limit (law = 45. me late for work = 69). okay, i see the speedin ticket comin my way, damn!. alrite, cool wit it. calm. but check THIS out!

Cop asks me to use MY phone to call Geico. WTF! ARE YOU SERIOUS? (take a deep breath, because f**k it, aint like i got anything to worry about or nothin, exhale) DEEP BREATH! (am i stupid for this>?) hand him my iPhone to talk to geico. but he goes BACK to his charger and talks on my phone for like 20 minutes! seriously. sittin in my car like i hope he enjoys my phone so i don't get no BIG A$$ FINE. dude comes back and says... "ive dropped the speed from 69 to 59 so u don't get any points on your license." im cool wit that because my record is CLEAN. he says "i don't kno why i am, but i am. You still have these OTHER TWO tickets as well" im like
#$%&*#@! (in my head, not out loud). "1 for an out of state tag, when u now reside in GA. the other for the SC tag being Suspended" WTF! are you serious? SOUTH CAROLINA SUSPENDED MY GOT DAMN TAG! (no notifications, nothing. THANKS SOUTH CAROLINA!)

all this before being awake for 1 hour. ugh, the struggles of a 21 year old young man trying to make a living and take over tha world. but guess wat... I STILL LOVE MY MUTH@#$%&*#% iPhone! :p (even tho a COP had more fun with it this mornin before i did. maybe thats why he dropped my speed?.. hmm)
Nice post, but I'm sure you can express yourself better than all the expletives. There are youngsters on here. You said you are a young (21) year old guy struggling to make it. I think it is great that you are so diligent about working.

Just please be a good example for the kids on here, all the expletives are not necessary. I hope your days go a lot better than the one you had.

BTW: I know what you mean about Cobb County. I have visited there, don't want to go back. The police there are relentless, ticket writing maniacs. Just for the record, I would have never given the cop my cell phone. You are lucky he didn't find some reason to keep it...M

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Great story...but what kinda cop dosent carry his own cell? I wouldn't have let him touch my iPhone, and rummage through my personal info...
Welcome to EIC btw :)

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
LMAO! Now tell us you didn't just pound all that out on your new iPhone! Welcome to EIC. Hope you like your new badge...sorry, I just couldn't resist the cop inference... ;)

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Did he happen to see your phone before asking to use it? Maybe he wanted to take the new 3G for a test run, lol.

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
Why should he use his own phone to try and fix YOUR matters? He could have towed your car. Be lucky. I know that when my husband is dealing with people who have more than one thing going wrong, he's not going to be nice. You should be so lucky that he cut your speed. Additionally. It's wise for him to go back to his car. Standing out there he is a sitting duck. I don't know if where you live is anything like Cali, but if a cop is standing outside of thecar for too long, he's in trouble. Known gang members have SET IT UP to get caught by LAPD for speeding, and then when they are stopped (like you were, they were on the phone) and the cop is dealing with the driver, the cop gets shot.

Kinda stinks that you got so many tickets, but at least he dropped the speed.

How long have you lived in GA? If it's been less than a year, you can fight that, stating that you haven't established residency there in SC. Just an FYI. You might loose, but if you pick ONE of those to fight, and just quietly pay the other two, you will get out of one.

wellz

Aug 5, 2008
ATLanta, GA
My bad Swagger, your rite. all the excitement in todays CRAZINESS has me wound up. sorry for all tha profane langauge yall. but on the other hand...

i said the same thing! these cops are on their phones out here 24/7 runnin they mouths. i just caught tha cop fresh outta dunkin donuts with an itch to catch the first person he sees, fresh outta minutes, or with a dead phone.lol. naw, i aint pound all this out from tha phone, because if i did, woulda been spellin error after spellin error etc. (gotta get used to the keypad, each text is better than the last tho). naw he aint see my phone, the curve was in tha open. tha iPhone was in tha case. BTW, he came back talkin bout "fancy fancy phone, more than my check in 1 week" i was like not really. he said "your rite, just one day"... how ruuuuudde. lol. hope he doesn't think because of the phone i can knock out tickets like it aint nothin?:sick:

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
LOL...you didn't use the phone because of spelling errors to type the post...wow! ;)

And do you know why cops are on their phone all the time (no, my panties aren't in a bunch, and I'm not offended, just enlightning those who don't really think about stuff)...because they usually aren't issed city phones, it's quicker to call dispatch, it's easier to CALL a superviser than try to raise them on a radio. They are also "family people"....There have been numerous times I have called my husband because one of my kids was throwing up like a possesed baby and I was freaking out.

And you were the one to make the "check" joke...so that wasn't rude! LOL! He was joking with you back! LOL...

Like I said, be glad he didn't tow you! LOL!

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
LOL...you didn't use the phone because of spelling errors to type the post...wow! ;)

And do you know why cops are on their phone all the time (no, my panties aren't in a bunch, and I'm not offended, just enlightning those who don't really think about stuff)...because they usually aren't issed city phones, it's quicker to call dispatch, it's easier to CALL a superviser than try to raise them on a radio. They are also "family people"....There have been numerous times I have called my husband because one of my kids was throwing up like a possesed baby and I was freaking out.

And you were the one to make the "check" joke...so that wasn't rude! LOL! He was joking with you back! LOL...

Like I said, be glad he didn't tow you! LOL!
My father is a police officer too. I agree with you on the cell phone thing. I call my dad atleast once a day just to see how he's doing or to ask him a question lol. I know he uses it to contact his boss sometimes too.

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
My father is a police officer too. I agree with you on the cell phone thing. I call my dad atleast once a day just to see how he's doing or to ask him a question lol. I know he uses it to contact his boss sometimes too.
:laugh2: at least someone knows what I'm talking about.

wellz

Aug 5, 2008
ATLanta, GA
Why should he use his own phone to try and fix YOUR matters? He could have towed your car. Be lucky. I know that when my husband is dealing with people who have more than one thing going wrong, he's not going to be nice. You should be so lucky that he cut your speed. Additionally. It's wise for him to go back to his car. Standing out there he is a sitting duck. I don't know if where you live is anything like Cali, but if a cop is standing outside of thecar for too long, he's in trouble. Known gang members have SET IT UP to get caught by LAPD for speeding, and then when they are stopped (like you were, they were on the phone) and the cop is dealing with the driver, the cop gets shot.

Kinda stinks that you got so many tickets, but at least he dropped the speed.

How long have you lived in GA? If it's been less than a year, you can fight that, stating that you haven't established residency there in SC. Just an FYI. You might loose, but if you pick ONE of those to fight, and just quietly pay the other two, you will get out of one.
oh yes... im definitely fighting it. just gotta pick one... eenie meenie meinee MOE. got it. im good to go now lol jk. i just moved back to GA in March. i was in SC for less than a year, have had the car since this past february

wellz

Aug 5, 2008
ATLanta, GA
:laugh2: at least someone knows what I'm talking about.
oh yes guys i understand too. im just playin round as a civilian. my father air force, and MP's are just tha same way as regular police. some of my friends are MP's actually, same thang as far as cell phone usage. and shooot, as much time they have to spend out there in their cars on the streets, :mad: (and its BLAZIN HOT in tha A) id make sure to have my celli handy to make sure errythang is right on all sides. wit tha job as well as the home. ive heard that gettin through to dispatch on the radio is always tough. not knockin the cop, because he did throw me some le-way. woulda been super HEART-broken if dey took my charger AND gave me 3 citations on top of it. i see this as a set back, but a blessin at the same time (he coulda had me down and out if he wanted to first cool cop ive met in COBB tho). i keep it as positive as i can homies...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
There is no reason for a cop to use ANY, personal property of a perp. Just because you are married to one, is no excuse. The city, county, state should issue the officer all that he/she needs to do their job. Most officers know they have you at their mercy when they stop you. Today it is, let me use your phone. Tomorrow it will be, I need 100 bucks to pay my car note. That officer abused his power by using the perps phone, plain and simple. What if he had dropped it? Cobb county would most likely, NOT replaced it. Not all but a lot of cops think they are God, and can do whatever they want, not true.

If the perp had 100 things wrong. The cop still had no right to use his phone. Yes it is the cops job to investigate, but with his OWN equipment. I would have told him, heck no you can't use my iPhone. Phones are very personal items, the cop had no right to ask you for it, unless he was arresting you. Then he should have only bagged it and tagged it, not used it...Mark

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
There is no reason for a cop to use ANY, personal property of a perp. Just because you are married to one, is no excuse. The city, county, state should issue the officer all that he/she needs to do their job. Most officers know they have you at their mercy when they stop you. Today it is, let me use your phone. Tomorrow it will be, I need 100 bucks to pay my car note. That officer abused his power by using the perps phone, plain and simple. What if he had dropped it? Cobb county would most likely, NOT replaced it. Not all but a lot of cops think they are God, and can do whatever they want, not true.

If the perp had 100 things wrong. The cop still had no right to use his phone. Yes it is the cops job to investigate, but with his OWN equipment. I would have told him, heck no you can't use my iPhone. Phones are very personal items, the cop had no right to ask you for it, unless he was arresting you. Then he should have only bagged it and tagged it, not used it...Mark
This 666th post of yours makes a lot of sense, Swagger. And as the saying goes, "the devil is in the detail". (666...devil...Get it?) Sorry, I'm on a roll today!:laugh2:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
This 666th post of yours makes a lot of sense, Swagger. And as the saying goes, "the devil is in the detail". (666...devil...Get it?) Sorry, I'm on a roll today!:laugh2:
I noticed that also, thanks for giving me a reason to post. Now I can distance myself from, the mark of the beast..M

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!

The city/state should issue it? I am assuming that you are not a homeowner, because should the city (the state has nothing to do with county/city officers) decide to create a minimum of a $1mil budget to issues these phones that YOU feel they should issue, YOUR home taxes would be raised. No homeowner that i know of would want that to happen. Additionally---either let him use YOUR phone to call YOUR insurance, because more often than not YOUR phone is already connected to the insurance co's computer system....OR the cop and TOW your car and SUSPEND your license if HE can't get proof of your insurance. Take your pic. Use my phone ANY day just don't ticket me. It's that simple. In addition, the OP could have told the officer no. So many people are uniformed on this issue it amazes me. Just because the person is a COP doesn't mean that you have to do what they want. Borrow a phone? Nope. They don't have that right, they can however ask. Just the same as searching your car. If there is no PC to do so, and they ask, and you say yes, you can be caught with whatever you have. However, if there is no PC, and the cop wants to search, you have the right to say no and have them get a search warrant. SO---if youhave corrupt cops in your city, that sucks. Take a stand in the appropriate location, don't just complain in a forum...complaining will get you no where, real action will.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
You're lucky it was Cobb and not the JCPD. You never win with them.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The city/state should issue it? I am assuming that you are not a homeowner, because should the city (the state has nothing to do with county/city officers) decide to create a minimum of a $1mil budget to issues these phones that YOU feel they should issue, YOUR home taxes would be raised. No homeowner that i know of would want that to happen. Additionally---either let him use YOUR phone to call YOUR insurance, because more often than not YOUR phone is already connected to the insurance co's computer system....OR the cop and TOW your car and SUSPEND your license if HE can't get proof of your insurance. Take your pic. Use my phone ANY day just don't ticket me. It's that simple. In addition, the OP could have told the officer no. So many people are uniformed on this issue it amazes me. Just because the person is a COP doesn't mean that you have to do what they want. Borrow a phone? Nope. They don't have that right, they can however ask. Just the same as searching your car. If there is no PC to do so, and they ask, and you say yes, you can be caught with whatever you have. However, if there is no PC, and the cop wants to search, you have the right to say no and have them get a search warrant. SO---if youhave corrupt cops in your city, that sucks. Take a stand in the appropriate location, don't just complain in a forum...complaining will get you no where, real action will.
I'm not going to type a long rebuttal to your ridiculous opinion, just because you are married to a cop. Your opinion is wrong, and so is your assumption that I am not a home owner. You also don't understand the difference between complaining and offering ones opinion.

You are married to a cop. Therefore based on their salary, I assume my house is much larger and much more expensive than yours. Point being, I pay more property tax. When you get finished upholding the wrong doings of cops, just because your husband is one. The FACT still remains, that cops SHOULD NOT, be using the personal items of perps. That officer had communication equipment available to him in his squad car. He should have used it, instead of the perps phone! I would rather be arrested, than give up my rights. Cobb County writes enough tickets, that the revenue could buy every officer a gold plated iPhone if they wanted to. So don't give us the LAME excuse that, budget shortfalls are an excuse for a cop using a perps personal items...Good Day, ma'am..Mark

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
SO, you initially tag me for implying that you may or may not own a house, and then judge "based on his salary" that your house is bigger than mine? LOL...talk about contradictory! LOL! Point being, the OP had every right to say NO, and he didn't....so thereforee, he can't really complain. You can always say no.

Additionally----you just crack me up getting your boxers in a wad!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Let's watch our tempers, folks.... huh? It's obvious we all have different affiliations with law enforcement. No need to get personal. We all know both sides of this story... let's just let it go, innit?