Latest Apple Patents (Preview of Upcoming Features)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm going to start a running thread about the latest Apple software patents with regards to the iPhone. This information is highly informative when it comes to getting pre-announcement information about future iPhone software upgrades.

The latest patents involve what you can see and do on your screen when your iPhone is locked. In fact, you can change global settings and get a host of notifications. Here's an iPhonehacks article about it: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/09/apple-patents.html

So, this could be a preview of how push notifications will eventually work on a future iPhone upgrade. Pretty exciting to see this!

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I'm going to start a running thread about the latest Apple software patents with regards to the iPhone. This information is highly informative when it comes to getting pre-announcement information about future iPhone software upgrades.

The latest patents involve what you can see and do on your screen when your iPhone is locked. In fact, you can change global settings and get a host of notifications. Here's an iPhonehacks article about it: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/09/apple-patents.html

So, this could be a preview of how push notifications will eventually work on a future iPhone upgrade. Pretty exciting to see this!

good post...i'm going to take a moment and look through it and see what's good..

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I think this is good news, too. The question I have does this just require a software update? Or, is this a hardware upgrade? This may be the reason for Apple's possible delay of releasing the push notification services for 3rd party apps.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Very nice. I always take new patents with a grain of salt, though, as I do with rumors, as a lot of them are filed just to protect something Apple might consider doing in the future.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Looks almost like intelliscreen.

@eragon
why do you think it would be hardware?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with Lincoln in that Apple files a bunch of patents to protect their ideas in the future. I do think this would be a great addition to the phone.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Two New Patents - Bluetooth Pairing & Contact Info

Here's an interesting article about a couple of new patents:

Bluetooth pairing made easier - just by bringing the two devices with in a foot of each other.

Aside from the usual Bluetooth headset pairing and hands-free car pairing, I wonder if this is a precursor to perhaps Stereo Bluetooth and data sharing through Bluetooth?

The patent does make mention of wireless docking and in-car adapter connecting to a cell phone or portable media player.

This would be good news for me because my car is Bluetooth Audio capable and I would be able to listen to my iPod wirelessly through my car stereo!

Now, the Stereo Bluetooth and data sharing is just my hopeful speculation. But one can HOPE, can't we? :laugh2:

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
and a few months before the 3g was released someone posted a thread just like this with a bunch of patents.

I don't think more than 2 if any made it on the 3g like some hoped.