Latest firmware for Apple TV

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
So I'm thinking of picking up the latest Apple TV (I've been contemplating canceling the TiVo box I have in my bedroom).

What's the current firmware for the latest Apple TV? Is it 4.4.4? That is jailbreakable, yes?

Also, I would ultimately like to jailbreak the device so that I may utilize Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. That is possible after jailbreaking the Apple TV, correct?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Yes, the latest version of iOS for the ATV2 is jailbreakable. You can use Hulu, Amazon and Netflix once jailbroken.

Enjoy :)

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
Thanks. I guess I was confused since I kept reading that the latest untethered jailbreak for Apple TV was pod2g's iOS 5 untethered jailbreak -- but the latest firmware was 4.4.4.

I was going to go with Roku or Apple TV. Now that I know you can get Amazon's Instant Video and Hulu Plus, it's not much of a choice ;)

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
Do you guys have ATV? Any complaints or regrets? Lots of people argue Roku over ATV, but most of those reasons are because of the available channels Roku offers (but it's all equal when you jailbreak ATV).

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I don't have an Apple TV because I don't have a TV. Well, I have a TV, but it's as old as I am and I wouldn't be able to hook an Apple TV up to it. I use my iMac and the Internets as "TV" instead.

I debated with myself for about 0.68 seconds over the sanity of buying an Apple TV to hook up to my iMac to have that nice simple lean back interface that no longer exists natively in Mac OS X. But I decided it's not worth all of the trouble I'd have to (want to?) go through. In my case, I'd buy the Apple TV and a converter to turn the HDMI to DisplayPort to hook up to the iMac, and then jailbreak to replace as much Internet stuff as I possibly can. By the time I get through all of that, I've spent close to $300 & 4 hours setting it up. I'm not entirely sure I'd be any better off than just using a media center app like Plex for my local files and browsing the Internet for everything else.

This is not to say there's anything wrong with the Apple TV itself, it just ain't for people who don't have TV like me.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
Ha, that's definitely understandable then.

The reason I started exploring this idea is because I've literally used my TiVo box in my bedroom maybe twice in the past three months. Now, the rate at which I'd use ATV may be just as infrequent, but it'd be considerably cheaper if I subscribe to Hulu Plus (which I may not even do). Even if the extra TiVo box is costing me just $15 a month, that goes a long way over the course of a year.