Latest opinion on MBP for my use?

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Hello all.

I have never owned a Mac before, but absolutely love my iPhones. Always had great service from Apple.

Now it's time for a new laptop, and I think I'm ready to tackle the transition from Windows. And, obviously, Macs are better quality.

I've done tons of searches, here and elsewhere. I notice that this forum doesn't get a lot of responses; but here goes: I'm asking for opinions on what MBP is best for my use.

It will be primarily for:
Internet surfing
Downloading, editing, and posting online videos from a GoPro camera
Business bookkeeping use

I also want tthe capability of watching DVDs and burning GoPro videos to DVD. I sell classic cars, so I want to create short videos of the cars to use online, primarily eBay.

I'm looking at the 13" non-retina that the local Apple store shows at a base price of $1199.

Is this equipped enough to make amateur videos that look semi-professional; and play hi-def SD card video properly?

Thanks in advance for your help. If the $1199 model is enough, I'm in. If I have to go for a more expensive one, I'll have to think a bit. What say you?

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
The 13" will probably be fine for your needs..

If you anticipate doing heavy video or photo editing though you might consider a Macbook with an i7 and 8GB RAM..

An SSD drive will also help make the Macbook fly and it has MUCH faster read and write speeds when compared to a spinning (old school) drive..

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Thank you for your response.

How do you define 'heavy' editing? I want to take videos from my GoPro camera, edit the dead time out, and upload to YouTube and/or FB. Might like to add a title and a few effects, but that's it. Would that be 'heavy'?

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I'd define heavy as an hour plus of video per day and or hundreds of photos.

What you described your usage as, I would not consider that heavy.

Buy from the Apple store and see if it fits your needs. You have 2 weeks to return or exchange it so give the 13" a spin and see.