Latest rumor: AT&T to start selling 3G iPhone at 8 a.m. on 7/11

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Here's hoping BGR has got this one right. Makes much more sense to me to start first thing and hopefully get a lot more iPhones into a lot more of our hot little hands on the day :)

May 14, 2008
I've asked Apple store employees - they told me they don't know if it's going to be a 6:00 pm last time or not. But if AT&T is going to make people activate prior to walking out the door, it'll be a nightmare. They could start at 06:00 and go 18 hours that day and probably not finish with everyone waiting. I wasn't planning on camping out (too old for that crap!) but definitely waiting until the line dies down for as many weeks as that takes. Besides, on a businesss trip through 7/18 so won't do anything until I get back home afterwards.:cool:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Makes more sense to start early if you have to activate on site, but businesss doesn't always do what makes sense.:)

May 14, 2008
Makes more sense to start early if you have to activate on site, but businesss doesn't always do what makes sense.:)
Absolutely. To boot, this is AT&T we're talking about here :p

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
For a minute, I thought the title read that the 3G iPhone would be sold at 7/11. I'll take the 16GB and a Big Gulp.:cool:

I like the idea of an 8 o'clock a.m. kickoff. Plenty of time to get myself a cup of Starbucks and brave the mall. Should also provide for a fun day here at EIC.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
For a minute, I thought the title read that the 3G iPhone would be sold at 7/11. I'll take the 16GB and a Big Gulp.:cool:

I like the idea of an 8 o'clock a.m. kickoff. Plenty of time to get myself a cup of Starbucks and brave the mall. Should also provide for a fun day here at EIC.
Wow - talk about a nightmare scenario - buying this at a 7/11 would be hilarious / painful / not do-able I think :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
It'd be easier to do coffee runs.
True that. Still not sold on the overall concept though. Hmmm, wait a sec - actually I'm one of the folks who is aiming to go to an AT&T store rather than Apple - so thinking about it, yeah gimme the 7/11 option :laugh2:

seeker

Bronze
Jun 24, 2008
Att's don't open until 10 am.
Does Circuitcity or Bbuy open open at 7ish everyday?
However, they do that on thanksgiving.

This rumor is up on many sites and as much as one might believe on the 6pm one, i don't see how they wont on the 8am one too !

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Does Circuitcity or Bbuy open open at 7ish everyday?
However, they do that on thanksgiving.

This rumor is up on many sites and as much as one might believe on the 6pm one, i don't see how they wont on the 8am one too !
Did they open at 8 am last year for the first ever launch?

seeker

Bronze
Jun 24, 2008
Did they open at 8 am last year for the first ever launch?
That was the first launch and also the main reason this time is everyone needs to have instore activation. Some sites say that the current iPhone owners just have to provide the IMEI number on the Box and the rest of the activation can be done from home.

Believing this is true, the fact that everyone needs to get in store, that itself would make me believe more on this rumor. Anyways, we can wait for the official news...

May 6, 2007
United States
I think Apple would probably have the final word on the issue of release time, and Apple usually makes some pretty good decisions.

Although I don't pay much heed to these rumors, I would think this would be a pretty reasonable release time. Apple stores could always open a little early on this day.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, this makes much more sense than 6, with activating them in-store. I'll take along my omelet.

- John

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I highly doubt that AT&T would be allowed to start selling the iPhone before Apple stores would, but here's the latest rumor per Boy Genius. I can't recall how reliable Boy Genius has been in the past, but my guess is that this is going to turn out to be untrue...
It makes more sense to me this go around because AT&T is handling the iPhone 3G just like all their other handsets.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.

Ah... those Long Island malls, Walt Witman, Rosavelt Field, and Sunrise mall...sure do miss them (I grew up on the island). Probably better to hit up Witman, Least traffic of the bunch, IMO.
A plus side to living in "Bum F*** egypt" though (what the hillbillies here in ohio call this town im in), is that technology here seems to have stopped at 1980. An iPhone to most people here is just the venacular caveman way of saying my phone. (Jane no use phone cause it I Phone).
Probably be no line at all here on 7/11. :)

H

Hayesimus

I'm sure there is one somewhere that opens at 8am.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i agree with this .. they are treating it like a regular phone.. so then i can expect that they willsell it at opening, another ting that i question now is that it is an att phone and if you have to activate on the spot is there going to be att reps at all att stores now? that would be lame and it would crowd the Apple stores...

It makes more sense to me this go around because AT&T is handling the iPhone 3G just like all their other handsets.