latest ZiPhone 2.6b.....Good But

catsalleyt

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Paloma, California
Hey.
I used the new ZiPhone 2.6b. I had already used the previous 2.5. My only problem was I lost my mail and youtube. I Hoped today by upgrading to ZiPhone 2.6b I might get at least (most important) my mail working...Nothing changed and it still doesn't work. I tried all the fixes I could find here and Google but not one has worked..When I did restore on iTunes, Mail and Youtube were working again. don't want to give up all my 3rd party apps!
Anybody have any advice?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
One often overlooked step in Jailbreaking 1.1.4 is to "not restore" your existing user profile with iTunes after running ZiPhone.

In other words, when iTunes asks if you'd like to set the phone up as "New" you should select "Yes."

First off, let me make it clear that we're not going to be extending any service contracts with AT&T or getting a new phone number. The whole "New" terminology is very misleading in this case, because all we're actually doing here is creating a "New User Profile" with iTunes. This profile tells iTunes which data to sync between your desktop computer and your iPhone.

Now, the golden rule for starting a New profile is to first sync so that all your contacts have been backed up. By this I mean your contact list is being mirrored in Address Book for Mac, or Outlook on PC, with the contacts on your iPhone.

Once you can be certain your contacts have been backed up, you can proceed to set your iPhone up as new, followed by clicking the "Info tab" in iTunes and going down the list clicking in the Checkboxes of the information you'd like to move back on to the phone, i.e. Contacts.

---

In a nutshell, 1.1.2 used a different username to access the files that store your mail settings, this also applies to youtube and all the other little quirks that arise from ZiPhone jailbreaks. When we migrated to 1.1.3, the files that stored our data had their username changed to "mobile", and restoring your User Profile with iTunes after a jailbreak oddly enough restores the previous user's "root" files where the new "mobile" files should be. This prevents us from accessing that information later in 1.1.4 because we are operating under the username "mobile" now, while the older data files that were restored are set up to only allow the user "root" to access them.

Setting up your iPhone with a New User Profile essentially recreates these files from scratch, and as such they are given the correct usernames and permissions accordingly. Unfortunately, the "fix" in this case is to restore your iPhone and start over, this time creating a "New" user profile when prompted.

catsalleyt

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Paloma, California
One often overlooked step in Jailbreaking 1.1.4 is to "not restore" your existing user profile with iTunes after running ZiPhone.

In other words, when iTunes asks if you'd like to set the phone up as "New" you should select "Yes."

First off, let me make it clear that we're not going to be extending any service contracts with AT&T or getting a new phone number. The whole "New" terminology is very misleading in this case, because all we're actually doing here is creating a "New User Profile" with iTunes. This profile tells iTunes which data to sync between your desktop computer and your iPhone.

Now, the golden rule for starting a New profile is to first sync so that all your contacts have been backed up. By this I mean your contact list is being mirrored in Address Book for Mac, or Outlook on PC, with the contacts on your iPhone.

Once you can be certain your contacts have been backed up, you can proceed to set your iPhone up as new, followed by clicking the "Info tab" in iTunes and going down the list clicking in the Checkboxes of the information you'd like to move back on to the phone, i.e. Contacts.

---

In a nutshell, 1.1.2 used a different username to access the files that store your mail settings, this also applies to youtube and all the other little quirks that arise from ZiPhone jailbreaks. When we migrated to 1.1.3, the files that stored our data had their username changed to "mobile", and restoring your User Profile with iTunes after a jailbreak oddly enough restores the previous user's "root" files where the new "mobile" files should be. This prevents us from accessing that information later in 1.1.4 because we are operating under the username "mobile" now, while the older data files that were restored are set up to only allow the user "root" to access them.

Setting up your iPhone with a New User Profile essentially recreates these files from scratch, and as such they are given the correct usernames and permissions accordingly. Unfortunately, the "fix" in this case is to restore your iPhone and start over, this time creating a "New" user profile when prompted.
First of all Thanks for your time. When I used iTunes I did set up as a new user for the fact that I didn't want old info going on to my phone. I think this is what you've just explained. Is there any way for me to go into my phone and manually change a file...or something?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Well, you can change the file permissions through a terminal. You can do this through a desktop computer, or on the iPhone itself. To do this on the iPhone requires a couple installs through installer to get everything sorted, but its probably the easiest way to go about this.

If you're game, you'll need to install,

1) BSD Subsystem - Category: System
2) Term-vt100 - Category: System
3) SUID Lib Fix - Category: Tweaks (1.1.3)
4) BSD Subsystem 2.0 Termfix - Category: Tweaks

If you don't see these applications you'll need to install Community Sources from the Sources category.

The next bit of businesss is to launch Term-VT100.

When asked for your password, enter: alpine
Press Enter when done.
What you type is masked, so you won't see any characters on screen.

By chance you mistype, you'll be asked for your username, its: root
Type in alpine once more when prompted.

Once logged in, you'll now be able to enter this command to enable full read/write privileges to any user for your mail files:

chmod -R 777 /var/moblie/Library/Mail

Now, type: logout

Hit your home button and try launching Mail, it should work now.

You can uninstall everything installed here, however you'll want to keep the BSD Subsystem, its required for quite a few apps, that is if you don't have it installed already.

For YouTube, you may want to try the fixes in the Tweaks sections of Installer. I've not really got any experience with this problem first hand so I'm not very comfortable offering advice here.

Good Luck

catsalleyt

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Paloma, California
Well, you can change the file permissions through a terminal. You can do this through a desktop computer, or on the iPhone itself. To do this on the iPhone requires a couple installs through installer to get everything sorted, but its probably the easiest way to go about this.

If you don't see these applications you'll need to install Community Sources from the Sources category.

Press Enter when done.

Once logged in, you'll now be able to enter this command to enable full read/write privileges to any user for your mail files:

You can uninstall everything installed here, however you'll want to keep the BSD Subsystem, its required for quite a few apps, that is if you don't have it installed already.

For YouTube, you may want to try the fixes in the Tweaks sections of Installer. I've not really got any experience with this problem first hand so I'm not very comfortable offering advice here.

Good Luck
Thanks for the quick response..really appreciate it. Im installing the list now.

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
This worked for me ........

On iPhone go to settings, general, reset. Reset all settings.
Fixed my mail, youtube, and no service. I used ziPhone 2.6b,
and I'm on 1.1.4
Try it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I try not to be a thanks-**** but if someone writes out help to that extent, ya gotta remember to hit the button!

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007

---

Good post. Unfortunately i learned it the hard way. Restored from 1.0.2 to 1.1.4 and ziPhoned it a couple of days ago. didn't remember that i had to create a new profile so restored the old one. Everything seemed fine initially. Only problem i'm having is while syncing music on my phone it gives an error saying hard disc cannot be read or written from. If i unselect the music then the sync goes through fine. Feeling too lazy to go through the whole restore process again. Have already installed the new apps. Any other suggestions to fix this problem?

catsalleyt

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Paloma, California

Press Enter when done.

I really appreciate all your time anyway..
It still wont work. I tried it 5 times..

Good Luck
Hey I really appreciate all your time...
I tried this 5 times and it wouldn't work for me.

catsalleyt

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Paloma, California
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to give an update on my experience with ZiPhone. The first 3 times I used this I choose the first one (when you open up ZiPhone). The first one does everything, Unlocks, jailbreaks, and Activates. Every time I used this It all went great EXCEPT... I lost my Mail and You tube. I couldnt get anything to fix it. This time (the fourth time) I selected the 3rd one, JAILBREAK ONLY. (I already am with AT&T.) Guess what,, this time for the first time worked! My MAIL and YOUTUBE works along with everything else.
:):)

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to give an update on my experience with ZiPhone. The first 3 times I used this I choose the first one (when you open up ZiPhone). The first one does everything, Unlocks, jailbreaks, and Activates. Every time I used this It all went great EXCEPT... I lost my Mail and You tube. I couldnt get anything to fix it. This time (the fourth time) I selected the 3rd one, JAILBREAK ONLY. (I already am with AT&T.) Guess what,, this time for the first time worked! My MAIL and YOUTUBE works along with everything else.
:):)
Duh! If your on AT&T why were u trying to unlock in the first place?
Unlocking is only for people wanting to use carriers other than AT&T.
To add installer and other software on your phone u only need to Jailbreak.
Pls read other posts before trying out stuff on your phone.