lcd change for iPhone

Oh, Im not so sure about how the geniuses handle unlocked phones but try it out anyway. I doubt they are going to take it away, and replacing the screen voids the warranty. But wait for a few other posts before you take it in, Apple may have some weird policy about unlocked phones.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
"Apple may have some weird policy about unlocked phones."

Like, you broke it, you keep it?

Doesn't it cost $250 to replace the screen if the warranty is voided?

Geordisjd:

Okay, like I said I didn't know if unlocking the software voids the warranty. I messing with software wouldn't mess up the screen either way so they are unrelated and a nice genius might just replace it. But yes, if the warranty is void it costs $200 to replace a four gig and $250 to replace an eight gig.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Geordisjd:

Okay, like I said I didn't know if unlocking the software voids the warranty. I messing with software wouldn't mess up the screen either way so they are unrelated and a nice genius might just replace it. But yes, if the warranty is void it costs $200 to replace a four gig and $250 to replace an eight gig.
You're probably right. I found this, old news really.
It looks like it's a hardware problem and Apple is aware of it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
problem is Apple will look up your AT&T plan to verify your warranty. If you have no plan long after your iPhone purchase, they'll know something's up.

You're probably right. I found this, old news really.
It looks like it's a hardware problem and Apple is aware of it.
yeah, I saw that earlier. I'm not sure if it was the same article, but I discovered one that said the company Apple bought the multitouch screen patent from release information that said most screens will the dead strip after six months of intensive use. That worries me, I hope that the person who wrote that article was just trying to cause trouble.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, I saw that earlier. I'm not sure if it was the same article, but I discovered one that said the company Apple bought the multitouch screen patent from release information that said most screens will the dead strip after six months of intensive use. That worries me, I hope that the person who wrote that article was just trying to cause trouble.
5 months 28 days and holding here. Intensive use. Took my 3,478th pic today. No black strip. I'd knock on wood if I were superstitious.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i seriously doubt Apple would offer a one-year warranty on something they knew would go bad in 6 months.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Not to worry from that standpoint...

The article you refer to was just a non-technical "analyst" goof up. He mixed up the iPhone touchscreen with a certain thermally activated one that did have failures.

OTOH, there seem to be a lot of iPhone touchscreen failures, some software... others caused possibly by a loose cable.

ok so will getting a new lcd screen solve the problem or no?
Ask a genius at the store, I'm sure they have received a memo about it. There are a lot of guides on the Internet about making your own screen for around $5 and how to replace it, but it is plastic and scratches easily. Also, you can buy the same glass in an iPhone for around $100. Also, if you pay Apple $250 for a new iPhone, your warranty picks up where it left off.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
ok so will getting a new lcd screen solve the problem or no?
I don't think that anyone could answer that without taking the phone apart and testing all the components. It could be the LCD, could be the connecting cable, maybe it is a bad chip on the motherboard that provides the video display, could be a problem with software corruption affecting the video drivers in the OS. Taking the phone to Apple after revirginizing it is probably the safest bet.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Product liability is a massive concern to any company that manufactures anything that comes with a warranty. Apple has considerable experience of the electronics market, and learned a lesson or two over the iPod battery problem in the early Mini. I very much doubt they'd risk selling something that even has a small chance of going bad - let alone something that will probably fail within warranty. Recalling or replacing 10 million phones would be mildly embarrassing.

If there is a problem - at least it'll probably only affect those countries where it was released first. (Makes self feel better after having to wait 5 months for iPhone)

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
I don't think that anyone could answer that without taking the phone apart and testing all the components. It could be the LCD, could be the connecting cable, maybe it is a bad chip on the motherboard that provides the video display, could be a problem with software corruption affecting the video drivers in the OS. Taking the phone to Apple after revirginizing it is probably the safest bet.
............+1