Leather iPhone 5s Cases! NICE!

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Well it turns out my case was delivered but by USPS to my mailbox instead of FedEx to my door. It never occurred to me to check the mail. Yay! :)
I'm glad you found it! GEEZ! That can be so unnerving! I hate when that happens.

I have a PO Box and sometimes UPS stuff will go to it instead of my home address. My case and Dock came via UPS and I had to sign for it. I would have got it on Monday, but no one was home to sign for it, so it came the next day and they left the packages on the porch because Hubby signed the slip.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
@Europa - No the Dock is not compatible with the leather case at all. I don't know what case can fit on the iPhone 5 or 5s and then fit in that Doc. It is mightily tight! There is barely wiggle room. In fact, I was concerned that if you're not careful putting the phone in the Dock you could scratch the phone because of the Dock's sharp edges.

The black leather is a good choice. Very sleek looking. It will be my next choice after I get my hands on that Red Leather one. I'm waiting to see how the Brown holds up because I read where these leather cases start to show a lot of wear quickly. I guess it’s the skin oils.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Space Gray and are going to stick with it. Apple made a debacle of obtaining the Gold iPhone. SGP bumpers, great choice! Take pictures when you get them.

I have been interested in the Lime, Yellow, Pink and Black for the longest time, but I'm concerned about the ability of the bumper to stay on while being taken in and out of pockets. I read where someone said that their bumper would come off when they did this. I wondered how tight their pants were. LOL!
Thanks. I think I'll forgo a dock in that case.

My SGP bumpers (or any bumpers I've owned) have never fallen off when putting the phone in and taking it out of tight pockets. It's a snug fit.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks. I think I'll forgo a dock in that case.

My SGP bumpers (or any bumpers I've owned) have never fallen off when putting the phone in and taking it out of tight pockets. It's a snug fit.
The dock is good to use with out a case. I loved them because the Incase Slider cases worked well with using a Dock. Now the Speck Candyshell Flip cases work well with it too. Just have to be careful putting it in and taking it out of the Dock.

I do understand you passing on this one though.

Good. The reviewer had me thinking they weren't secure bumpers.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
I got a Black 5S case for my 5 on the 5S/5C launch day and I love it, my Spigeon Tough Armour's been chucked in the drawer for the foreseeable future.
I bought the black leather case as well to go on my white iPhone 5. Like the contrast. The case is pretty good so far.

Sent from my smokin hot, white, 64 GB iPhone 5 on AT&T wrapped in a sexy black leather Apple case.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Love, love, love this case! I just got the black last night. The fit is perfect, not bulky, and the grip is just right (not too slippery, not too grippy). Feels great in the hand. It's expensive for what it is, but I decided to stay with the 5 for another year so I figured I'd splurge on a case... :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Love, love, love this case! I just got the black last night. The fit is perfect, not bulky, and the grip is just right (not too slippery, not too grippy). Feels great in the hand. It's expensive for what it is, but I decided to stay with the 5 for another year so I figured I'd splurge on a case... :)
I'll probably pick up the black leather case tomorrow, even if I can't get the 5s at that time.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I'll probably pick up the black leather case tomorrow, even if I can't get the 5s at that time.
It's the best case I've ever had, and I've been an iPhone (with cases) since 2007. Enjoy!

It's the best case I've ever had, and I've been an iPhone (with cases) since 2007. Enjoy!
I think I have to agree. I generally have a case on my phone but I get bored with it so quickly usually because of the bulky. I was all set to really dislike this case and I don't really know why. This case is very slim yet I feel like it has good protection. I picked up the black leather on launch day after I told myself over and over I wouldn't. I waited in that line for 9 hours and maybe I was delirious at that point but when the Apple employee walked me in the store to all the cheers and applause and said "i hope you're putting a case on that shiny new space grey machine" I buckled and said "I sure am!" Now that look back I am glad I did. I think I have only removed this case to give my phone a quick blow off with some canned air. The grip is absolutely perfect I must say. I guess the true test will be to see how it holds up in about 6 months. I don't want to say it feels cheap but it definitely doesn't feel like it's made to last. I hope it proves me wrong. This case will for sure be the one and only one I use until the new lifeproof case comes out. I am a big time outdoors/hiking guy and for now I'll just throw it in my nuud case when I do this and just turn off fingerprint at that time.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I like the case but the minute you drop it, it will look like crap with dings and tears. It protects the phone but the materials aren't strong enough to look good after a fall.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I like the case but the minute you drop it, it will look like crap with dings and tears. It protects the phone but the materials aren't strong enough to look good after a fall.

That's kinda what I buy a case for. It's not a fashion accessory; it's a mode of protection for something that is far more expensive.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
That's kinda what I buy a case for. It's not a fashion accessory; it's a mode of protection for something that is far more expensive.
I disagree (partially), a case IS a fashion accessory, otherwise you would not have endless variations on colors, materials and yes, style. All I'm saying is that for 40 dollars I'd expect my case to survive a fall with minimal damage to the case..... And the phone of course.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I disagree (partially), a case IS a fashion accessory, otherwise you would not have endless variations on colors, materials and yes, style. All I'm saying is that for 40 dollars I'd expect my case to survive a fall with minimal damage to the case..... And the phone of course.
It is a fashion accessory and I do go for cases that look good to me. I expect some scuffs and dings with drops. As long as it protects the phone I'm happy. I replace cases as needed. I like having a few extras on hand anyway to switch up the look. I prefer minimalistic cases that offer moderate protection. The Apple 5S case is perfect for me. I draw the line at bulky cases such as a waterproof Otter-box. Yes, you can take the phone swimming and throw it at a brick wall and the phone will be fine and the case will still look good, but it takes away too much of the natural beauty of the phone, adds unwanted bulk, renders the fingerprint scanner temporarily useless, muffles sound and makes the headphone Jack hard to get to. I don't want to deal with those things. I prefer to deal with scuffs on the case as an alternative. I also get AppleCare+ just in case the phone does get damaged.

Dipsxxy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
Ordered my Brown leather case and a 5s Dock on launch day with the iPhones. I received the Dock and the case Tuesday.

The Dock is nice! Very functional. Same construction as the 4s Dock. I'm so glad I purchased it. I need a few more. One for next to the bed. One for work and one beside my iMac for docking and syncing. Glad Apple finally made this Dock.

The case is classy. It's in no way a heavy duty case. It'll protect the phone from scratches, occasional bumps and look good but that's about it. I know for a lot of folks they need way more than that. However, this is a nice case to add to my collection. I look forward to getting more colors.

Sent using iCafe app
I need to get one of those docks! That's something I don't have but need

Sent using iCafe app

Dipsxxy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2010

Sent using iCafe app
I bought the blue leather case from Apple. Love the color, but it gets dirty quick. I think I will try the brown one. It seems dark enough that it won't show dirt stains

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I bought the blue leather case from Apple. Love the color, but it gets dirty quick. I think I will try the brown one. It seems dark enough that it won't show dirt stains
You could exchange it for a brown. I think the brown leather case would look great on a gold 5S. That was the color I was planning on getting with the gold, but they only had space grey so I went with the black case.

Dipsxxy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
You could exchange it for a brown. I think the brown leather case would look great on a gold 5S. That was the color I was planning on getting with the gold, but they only had space grey so I went with the black case.
I originally wanted the brown one, Apple was sold out. I will try AT&T since they sale it also. The brown will def look nice with the gold phone.

Sent using iCafe app

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You actually have a good point (kill me now).

I came down too hard on the side of protection, though I think it's still the primary reason for having a case. After all, I do have a custom RGIII case that I don't consider all that protective.

Learn from this. :D

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008

Sent using iCafe app
Yes! It's a great little minimalist dock. I like it better than a lot of aftermarket ones.

I would suggest getting at least one. The thing is, if this doesn't bother you, you will have to remove your iPhone 5s from the case in order to use the dock, unless of course you use a slider case or a flip case then you won't have a problem. A lot of people don't care for that. They want docks that you can use with a case, but Apple doesn't allow for that. It doesn't bother me. This is a good dock.

Sent using iCafe app
I love all the colors. I just don't think the light ones will do well with my daily routine. I will be getting the Red, Yellow and the Black. The Beige when I feel like being fancy, but I know that I cannot use them all the time unless there is a surefire way to clean them really well.

The other thing is the fact that these cases are TIGHT on the iPhone 5 and 5s. I HATE fighting to get my case of my iPhone because I change them everyday! It will take some continuous usage to get them to loosen up a bit. It's still pretty though.

Last edited: