Leaving my PC need advice...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LEFP4

Dec 1, 2011
Hi everyone I've decided I want to get a mac for my laptop instead of a PC for college. I know I want something fairly high end, but not suuper expensive (around the 1-1.2k range). What models would you suggest I go for.

Also I've heard that Apple has good deals for college students sometimes. Haven't they like given out free ipods or something?

What do you think would be the best laptop for me?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, in past summers, they've given students iPod touches with new macs. I don't think they did it this last summer, though.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I always used to buy the 15" PowerBook. That's back when the choice was between iBook (consumer model - todays MacBook) and PowerBook (professional model - MacBook Pro now). The difference in performance between these two models was dramatic and even an "inspired amateur" like myself could appreciate the difference. Today the gap between MacBook and MacBook Pro is much slimmer than in days past. I would recommend a top-of-the-line MacBook. Max out the RAM and you're good to go.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Yeah, I don't like that. For 900 bucks, especially for a student that already has plenty of debt , you could've gotten yours self a Mac. My girlfriend is very happy with hers.

LEFP4

Dec 1, 2011
So if I got a MacBook Air, I could stay in my budget and it would work for all the things I need to do in college, i.e. research, projects, documents etc. ?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Just make sure you can live with an 11 or 13 inch screen. That's probably going to be the biggest drawback if it'll be your main computer. I'd also suggest to go with a model with 4GB of ram to help with multitasking. It's not upgradable on the Airs, so you've gotta make sure it'll last.

RedWritingHood

Bronze
Jan 22, 2011
MO
I'd consider what you'll do if any of your coursework will require a program installed through a CD, as the Air doesn't have a CD drive. (at least that I know Of...There is likely a way around it, but I don't know what that is.)

I'm enrolled in college as well, and when I go to my college's student bookstore website, there is a link to Apple's student page. Not sure beyond that what you'd have to do.

Good luck!

DrixO

Oct 28, 2011
I can't say from personal experience but from what I've seen other people say is that Apple doesn't verify if you're a legit student or not.