Leaving my PC need advice...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LEFP4, Dec 1, 2011.

1. LEFP4

LEFP4 New Member

Hi everyone I've decided I want to get a mac for my laptop instead of a PC for college. I know I want something fairly high end, but not suuper expensive (around the 1-1.2k range). What models would you suggest I go for.

Also I've heard that Apple has good deals for college students sometimes. Haven't they like given out free ipods or something?

What do you think would be the best laptop for me?

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Student discount is $100

3. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

For that price you're looking at a MacBook air. But for 1.5k you can get a MacBook pro. Which has better specs

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Yeah, in past summers, they've given students iPod touches with new macs. I don't think they did it this last summer, though.

5. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I always used to buy the 15" PowerBook. That's back when the choice was between iBook (consumer model - todays MacBook) and PowerBook (professional model - MacBook Pro now). The difference in performance between these two models was dramatic and even an "inspired amateur" like myself could appreciate the difference. Today the gap between MacBook and MacBook Pro is much slimmer than in days past. I would recommend a top-of-the-line MacBook. Max out the RAM and you're good to go.

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

There are no MacBooks anymore. At least not if you buy new.

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Yeah, I don't like that. For 900 bucks, especially for a student that already has plenty of debt , you could've gotten yours self a Mac. My girlfriend is very happy with hers.

8. LEFP4

LEFP4 New Member

So if I got a MacBook Air, I could stay in my budget and it would work for all the things I need to do in college, i.e. research, projects, documents etc. ?

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Just make sure you can live with an 11 or 13 inch screen. That's probably going to be the biggest drawback if it'll be your main computer. I'd also suggest to go with a model with 4GB of ram to help with multitasking. It's not upgradable on the Airs, so you've gotta make sure it'll last.

10. LEFP4

LEFP4 New Member

What with the education store? Do you have to provide certain student information?

11. RedWritingHood

Bronze

I'd consider what you'll do if any of your coursework will require a program installed through a CD, as the Air doesn't have a CD drive. (at least that I know Of...There is likely a way around it, but I don't know what that is.)

I'm enrolled in college as well, and when I go to my college's student bookstore website, there is a link to Apple's student page. Not sure beyond that what you'd have to do.

Good luck!

12. DrixO

DrixO New Member

I can't say from personal experience but from what I've seen other people say is that Apple doesn't verify if you're a legit student or not.

13. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

You might want check out your options if you can go with MBP refurb.

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

14. LEFP4

LEFP4 New Member

What's the deal with refrubs? Can it be risky buying one because they've been used?

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

not really. they come with one-year warranties just like new macs.