Leaving the Country

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
If I am very lucky, I should be getting my iPhone before I leave to go to Canada.
I would like to know if there is any way where I can turn off the internet feature of the phone, so that I won't be charged an arm and leg on our first bill.
Is there anyway to disable the iPhones internet (not Wifi) that allows you to use the phone feature?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
If I am very lucky, I should be getting my iPhone before I leave to go to Canada.
I would like to know if there is any way where I can turn off the internet feature of the phone, so that I won't be charged an arm and leg on our first bill.
Is there anyway to disable the iPhones internet (not Wifi) that allows you to use the phone feature?
I think that this is what you are talking about

Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming

"Turn data roaming off when abroad to avoid substantial roaming charges when using email, web browsing, and other data services."

So it does sound like you can do what you are asking!

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I think Settings->General->Network then disable Data Roaming will do it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
That isn't going to stop their equivalent of edge form coming through is it? I don't think it will. I always have data roaming off and still get edge.
The only solution I know is Airplane Mode, but that will cut out wifi also.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
That isn't going to stop their equivalent of edge form coming through is it? I don't think it will. I always have data roaming off and still get edge.
The only solution I know is Airplane Mode, but that will cut out wifi also.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, you can turn your iPhone on "airplane mode" Then turn the WiFi on, and i Think that the wireless radio should be on?
I think that this was a new feature of 2.0 because some planes now offer WiFi.

Here is a screen shot of the iPhone in "Airplane Mode" with the WiFi "Not Connected" I am not connected to a WiFi because where I work we don't have it! :(

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Ok. All your help is appreciated.
It's just the major thing is I need ALL data download off (edge and 3g), with the ability to use the phone feature. I guess that is not possible?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok. All your help is appreciated.
It's just the major thing is I need ALL data download off (edge and 3g), with the ability to use the phone feature. I guess that is not possible?
It sure is, but only if you're jailbroken. There is a program in Cydia called Bossprefs which will allow you to individually turn off the wifi, edge, and voice antennae. I use it all the time at the studio to turn off the edge antenna and force WIFI because the edge antenna makes GSM noise through the amplifier/speakers.

Anyway, Bossprefs is the only tool I know of that will do this.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Uhh unless they have changed something in the settings of 2.0, this is very possible. I took my v1 iPhone to Europe with me and went into Settings and turned data roaming OFF and didn't incur a single charge from data uploading or downloading. If you have to roam to connect to a data network then the iPhone will disable that feature. You will still roam on the voice network so you'll have to pay more for that.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, you can turn your iPhone on "airplane mode" Then turn the WiFi on, and i Think that the wireless radio should be on?

Here is a screen shot of the iPhone in "Airplane Mode" with the WiFi "Not Connected" I am not connected to a WiFi because where I work we don't have it! :(
I stand corrected. Meant to say it would cut out the phone and aenti wanted the phone.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Uhh unless they have changed something in the settings of 2.0, this is very possible. I took my v1 iPhone to Europe with me and went into Settings and turned data roaming OFF and didn't incur a single charge from data uploading or downloading. If you have to roam to connect to a data network then the iPhone will disable that feature. You will still roam on the voice network so you'll have to pay more for that.
Didn't know this. Never been abroad with the phone, but I thought it would still pick up whatever edge would be in that country.
Learned something new.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I want to thank everyone in this thread.
I called Apple to double check and they said turning off data roaming should do the trick.
I have had trouble with Apple before, so I just want to double check with Young.

You were in Europe, and by checking data roaming "off" you can still use your phone, just without any data going in, correct?
Is wifi still an option? If you choose to use wifi, will you be charged (by ATT, not the hotspot)

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
thats funny because a few weeks ago i went to canada too. toronto (great place) but i was scared of any internation charges so i completly took out my sim card lmao and just i used wifi the whole time by doing what somone mentiond above. battery lasted so long! i had the ipod playing all day without stopping it and using safari and i would get 20+ hours of usage with the same 20+ hours of standby since i had music playing from teh start to the end.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Ha, I just might end up doing that if data roaming doesn't work. Young, you there? I need your help man.

Amahk

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
yes I actually called earlier today also to ask if they'd unlock it(I knew the answer but for some reason I needed to hear it myself) and I was told I can just turn off 'data roaming' by the CSR.

However after doing a google search
http://www.iPhoneatlas.com/2008/07/29/iphone-data-roaming-gotcha-can-cost-you

Specifically;
iPhone Atlas reader Doug Toombs traveled to Bermuda with his iPhone’s data roaming option turned off. He returned to discover a $113 data transfer bill. Here’s what happened: GSM networks work with of a series of Mobile Country Codes (MCC) and Mobile Network Codes (MNC). These codes are each three digits long and uniquely identify the country and carrier. Used together they can pinpoint the country you are in and the carrier you are using in that country. The country code for the United States is 310. This code is supposed to be endemic only to the United States. However, Digicel Bermuda uses the 310 038 combination. This caused Doug’s iPhone to register on an ostensibly US-based network and ignore the data roaming setting. Despite the matching country code, Doug was charged for international data transfer.
AT&T forgave the charges, but other users have reported a similar issue, receiving bills upward of $1,000.
I don't want this happening to me since I am traveling to the caribbean on holidays this weekend. I did do this(turn data roaming off) on my Blackberry last christmas while I was in the caribbean and it did allow me to make/receive whatever phone calls I needed to and no data roaming charges showed up on my bill for the calling period.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA

You are indeed correct. If you go into Airplane mode, it initially turns off WiFi, but you can turn WiFi back on and use it to surf. Calls made to your number go straight to voice mail

Huncowboy

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Factory default is OFF. It won't hurt to double check it though.