Leaving Today for Australia - Nevous about bill

Beachlly

Nov 16, 2007
I just got off the phone with Apple & AT&T b/c I am traveling to Australia today and don't want to come back to a $5000 phone bill.
I don't not want to use any data while I am there, I only need to use the phone feature.
They have instructed me to set Data Roaming to OFF under Setting/General/Network.

Can someone who has traveled abroad confirm that by doing this I will not incur any fees associated with data. I understand that international fees apply when using the phone feature. I am ok with that.

I couldn't tell if the AT&T rep that I spoke to was just yesing me. I couldn't tell if she really knew what she was talking about. Ya know....

Thanks!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I just got off the phone with Apple & AT&T b/c I am traveling to Australia today and don't want to come back to a $5000 phone bill.
I don't not want to use any data while I am there, I only need to use the phone feature.
They have instructed me to set Data Roaming to OFF under Setting/General/Network.

Can someone who has traveled abroad confirm that by doing this I will not incur any fees associated with data. I understand that international fees apply when using the phone feature. I am ok with that.

I couldn't tell if the AT&T rep that I spoke to was just yesing me. I couldn't tell if she really knew what she was talking about. Ya know....

Thanks!
Do you really need to use your iPhone while overseas? Might be much simpler to get a pre-paid phone, or if you have another unlocked phone, a pre-paid SIM from overseas. That way you don't have to pay exhorbitant roaming rates for overseas call. Keep your iPhone in airplane mode.

Beachlly

Nov 16, 2007
Thanks for your message.
But, I actaully do need to keep the same phone number. I travel abroad for work purposes and my clients need to be able to reach me. I don't like switching #'s on them.
Anyone out there that has used this method?
Thanks,
m

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I went to Europe over spring break and used the method of turning data roaming off and it worked perfectly. I would suggest resetting your usage statistics that way you can monitor and ensure that you're not using any data while overseas. I would also recommend signing up for the international voice package, it greatly reduces the per minute fees.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I was in Canada for a few days and I switched the data roaming off. The only charges I got were for text messages being sent to me.