Leaving Windows for Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lwerle, Jul 21, 2013.

1. lwerle

lwerle Member
    Bronze

I'm fed up with my windows based computer. It's down...again! I can't afford a new one but was thinking refurbished MacBook? Suggestions? How much is office suite for a Mac? I know it will take some getting used to but I'm ready to make the jump. I need your suggestions and help. Thank you.

Sent using iCafe app

#1 lwerle, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

FIrst off, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your PC, but it's a great time to move to Mac. Office for Mac is anywhere between $115 to $170 at Amazon. However, you can use Pages (Apple's version of Word) and Numbers (Excel). These are available for download from the Mac App Store for $20 per app. If you need to share documents with an Office user, you can export documents as .doc or .xls. These apps have no problem reading and working with Windows files, so you existing documents can easily be opened.

For Mail, I use Apple's Mail app. I was an Outlook for Mac user years ago, but I use all of the Apple programs. For example, I was an Office owner, but misplaced my CD. I've been using Pages and haven't missed a beat. Where possible, I'd stick with apps in the Mac App Store. It just makes the whole process of installing apps so incredibly easy. iPhoto (not sure if it comes with your Mac) is great for managing your photos. iTunes, which i'm guessing you use now, is the same.

A good way to get your bookmarks over would be to sync using Google Chrome. If you use IE, export and import to Chrome. Then set up syncing with Chrome. If you want to move to Safari, at least your bookmarks are on your Mac. Then it's a simple export and import. Safari bookmarks are great because they will sync with your iPhone using iCloud.

If you are considering a refurbished model, that's a great move. I would recommend looking into Apple Care. Do not buy it from eBay (lots of fraud), but Amazon offers good value on protecting your Macbook.

Hope this helps.

3. lwerle

lwerle Member
    Bronze

Chris,
    It does! Thanks for all of the great info!

Sent using iCafe app