Left and Right Speaker question

yulu

Dec 26, 2007
Hey guys,

I just got an iPhone for Christmas and I'm super excited. However, this morning I noticed something and I need to varify. I was listening to some songs through the speakers on the iPhone (not the headphones, the speakers at the bottom), and I noticed that when I used my finger to cover up the left one the sound would be almost entirely muffled while if I covered the right one, the sound was still pretty normal. So that meant that the sound was mainly just comming out of the left speaker. Is that at all normal or do I have a defect in my iPhone?

Thanks in advance for the help, happy holidays to everyone.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Hey guys,

I just got an iPhone for Christmas and I'm super excited. However, this morning I noticed something and I need to varify. I was listening to some songs through the speakers on the iPhone (not the headphones, the speakers at the bottom), and I noticed that when I used my finger to cover up the left one the sound would be almost entirely muffled while if I covered the right one, the sound was still pretty normal. So that meant that the sound was mainly just comming out of the left speaker. Is that at all normal or do I have a defect in my iPhone?

That is because the one on the right is the microphone that picks up your voice when you talk.

And welcome to the Forum, we can answer all your questions.

yulu

Dec 26, 2007
Oh wow that explains a lot doesn't it? Thanks a lot for the answer.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Hey guys,

It's not really that obvious, but you can access the iPhone manual through iTunes. Select "Help," then "iPhone Help," abd that should open a small window that has a link to the iPhone manual.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
there really should be a sticky at the top of all the forums that says "Please note: the iPhone has only 1 speaker...the other is a mic".

this question pops up all the time.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
there really should be a sticky at the top of all the forums that says "Please note: the iPhone has only 1 speaker...the other is a mic".

this question pops up all the time.
There is a 15 step item that has that very info, but forgot where it is.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I didn't even have to read all of the OP to know my answer.

Perhaps I should put the page of the manual that shows only one speaker is my signature...

- John