Left earbud dead on my iPhone headset...any way to fix it?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I don't have a whole lot of dough - like, literally not enough to replace it. I might think about the UB3s if I have to here in a couple weeks when my next paycheck arrives. But for now, I have a dead headphone and it's kind of bugging me since I have a hard time hearing out of the one remaining phone as I'm in a call or listening to a podcast. Is there any MacGyver way to fix it, or is it so difficult to diagnose and fix that it's not worth the trouble?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
if you're close to an Apple store, you should be able to get them replaced for free under warranty (unless they've been run over by a beer truck and it's obvious to them that they were subjected to accidental damage). i hear Apple is really good (i.e., no hassles at all) about replacing the headphones...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Well, the thing is pretty well torn up from my attempts to perform percussive maintenance on it... (it's happened before, and thumping it with my thumb and finger used to work well)

and the little grey part that extends past the stem of the earbud that bends back and forth with the wire? That's ripped off...

Electrically, it is probably intact, however, and I suppose it is worth the shot in any case. I am about a half an hour from it, but a half an hour of gas is cheaper than a new $30 set of headphones with free shipping.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
yep, probably still worth a shot. if you explain to them that the visible damage is from you tweaking them to get them to work after they started to die on you, they'd probably understand that...

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
No such luck, the guy said he could have replaced them on the spot had I not been messing with it the way I did. He has to go by what he sees when it's brought in.

Guess I'm just SOL and will have to wait til I have another $30 to spare for the UB3

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
No such luck, the guy said he could have replaced them on the spot had I not been messing with it the way I did. He has to go by what he sees when it's brought in.

Guess I'm just SOL and will have to wait til I have another $30 to spare for the UB3
that sucks! i'm sorry my suggestion made you drive 1/2 hour each way for something that didn't work out for you... :(

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
incidentally, i was shopping with my brother today for headphones for him, and i was shocked to see that the Apple replacement headphones are $29. What a complete ripoff. I just thought they were giving us the cheapest headphone possible to keep costs down...

lensam

Bronze
Mar 8, 2008
Bridgeport, CT
Staples has a pair of headphones that are really cheap, about $9.99. I think they are by JVC and they come in black, blue, and pink. They have like a rubber coating on them so they don't tangle easy and don't sound too bad either.

clausenfan

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Ive put 2 pairs through the wash Apple has replaced all of them.
and they replaced one pair my dog chewed up
(keep in mind these wernt all iPhone headphones, im not that irresponsible.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Ive put 2 pairs through the wash Apple has replaced all of them.
and they replaced one pair my dog chewed up
(keep in mind these wernt all iPhone headphones, im not that irresponsible.
did you just go to the Apple store and show them the broken headphones?
im curious in case mine break